Svt?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Its not.
There were a few (3?) SVT TBird prototypes and I believe all have been destroyed or are sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

davis97xr7

Established Member
Like I said before, as for what info I am looking for, tccoa is of no help.

Is there another outlet for info like this?

You're not finding much because there isn't a whole lot of info about them. TCCoA is your best bet. As for the VIN, that's not going to tell you a lot either because this isn't like the old days where the VIN told you everything you wanted to know about a car.

From TCCoA... http://www.tccoa.com/articles/clipings/tbirdarticle.jpg

As for your disc brakes, that package wasn't too entirely common. The VIN doesn't tell you anything about the brakes though. http://members.tccoa.com/tinman/VIN.html

Your "Traction Control Delete" means your car is equipped with a Trac-Lok differential instead of the TCS.

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
What's disappointing about the subject is that about 2-3 years ago at Carlisle and hte All Ford Nationals is there was a female there with a 'SVT' Thunderbird in the Corral that Carlisle put in a special building. The thing was, it wasn't a SVT Thunderbird and stuff like this only makes people who aren't well informed think that they have a SVT Thunderbird. The SVT Thunderbird was going to be a SC 4.6L.....about 10 years ahead of the 03 Cobra.

davis97xr7

Established Member
What's disappointing about the subject is that about 2-3 years ago at Carlisle and hte All Ford Nationals is there was a female there with a 'SVT' Thunderbird in the Corral that Carlisle put in a special building. The thing was, it wasn't a SVT Thunderbird and stuff like this only makes people who aren't well informed think that they have a SVT Thunderbird. The SVT Thunderbird was going to be a SC 4.6L.....about 10 years ahead of the 03 Cobra.

Was it a black, turbo DOHC? Cuz there's been a person trying to pass that car off as an SVT for years. Claims all kinds of paperwork and really emphasises the SVT label when trying to sell it.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Was it a black, turbo DOHC? Cuz there's been a person trying to pass that car off as an SVT for years. Claims all kinds of paperwork and really emphasizes the SVT label when trying to sell it.

It was black, I don't remember what drivetrain was in it. They also did claim to have all kinds of paperwork on it, but nothing was displayed that I can recall.

davis97xr7

Established Member
I'm going to say that they are not SVT cars. At all. And that's me just going with the generally opinion. If you'd like to be "the guy" to prove everybody wrong, my hats off to you. As for the SVT Thunderbird debate with you, I give up. The information is out there relating to the real cars, and no matter what, you are gonna know a guy that knows a guy that heard some other guy say something so I rest my case.

Any other information or questions that I can help you with, I would be more than happy to.

17Mark71

If Ford had run the NM12 style T Bird for one more year (98), then there would've been an SVT version. My 97 has a set of 17x7.5 (4.25x5) Cobra rims that were supposed to go on the 98 SVT had they built them. My understanding is that it would've been a 4.6 DOHC, 5 spd, bigger disc brakes, beefed up suspension, Cobra R style hood, etc....

Users who are viewing this thread