SVT Tech says NGK TR-6 are NO GOOD!

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Just got a call from the SVT tech who's performing my head swap (Tick TSB). He asked about my NGK TR-6 plugs I have installed and wondered how long they had been in the motor. My car had about 3K miles on it when I installed them and it has 7500 now so they've been in for 4K miles. The tech said they were completely shot! He noted they were very burnt and appeared to be damaged due to excessive heat. He even said one of them appeared to have no gap left at all!? I gapped them at 0.040" initially and was very careful during installation so unless the piston came up and kissed it I don't know how that would have happened. He told me that the NGK's are not designed to handle the high heat generated by the Cobra's supercharged motor. I told him to go ahead and replace them with a set of stockers.
Just thought I'd give all the TR-6 users a heads up to pull a plug or two and check them out...

U.M.

BTW - My motor is still running the stock pulley and no chip. Just the mods listed in my sig. I will admit thought that my A/F ratio is a little lean on the bottom end and I'm thinking this may have contributed to my plugs early demise...

Juiced-03

Established Member
wow thanks for the advice! I had always wondered why TR6's are the recommended plug for these cars since they are actually hotter than the sotck plugs (on the earlier run cars).

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
:eek:

:dw: Well ive run 2 sets of NKG TR6 from 9000 miles to 15000 miles. Never had an issue with any of the sets beside the 1st set when i used some freaking Octane Booster. The Insulator was all Reddish & no white visiable.

1st set ran it for 3500miles before i found out what the Octane Booster did to them. All Leads were perfectly right on the spot.

2nd set besides the BANK 1 1st plug every thing else is good. Now u got me thinking so id better check again when i get home.

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
So did the tech give any plug recommendations? I'm sure the stockers are decent, but I am also sure there is something better out there.

Logan03

Established Member
they actually said the were not designed to handle the heat of a cobra supercharged motor. Then why does Jim Oddy recomend them in his blower motors, most over 1500 hp. Ngk's are great plugs. All, most, racers use ngk or champion. they have more avail heat ranges than any other spark plug manufacturer. SVT is blowing smoke up somebody's ass!!!

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Denso Iridiums #IT22 or #IT24, depending on the amount of boost you happen to be running and whether nitrous being sprayed or not. Going to be trying out a new set of plugs from a different manufacturer soon. No, not NGK. I'll let you guys know how things turn out ;-) .

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
for us stocker guys what do u like more IT22 or the 24's with exhauset and CAI?

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Originally posted by Logan03
they actually said the were not designed to handle the heat of a cobra supercharged motor. Then why does Jim Oddy recomend them in his blower motors, most over 1500 hp. Ngk's are great plugs. All, most, racers use ngk or champion. they have more avail heat ranges than any other spark plug manufacturer. SVT is blowing smoke up somebody's ass!!!

Well c'mon now... Those guys change their plugs more often than I change underwear! Well almost... He said the copper plugs were just not meant to handle SUSTAINED operation under the loads and conditions our SC'ed motors see. I had no problem with them either... at least I didn't think I did! He saved them for me to look at, I'll report back once I pick the car up tomorrow.

U.M.

Friendchicken

if the NGKs are good for these engines.. then what really happened to these things... Maybe the tick was actually a knock? and hopefully they don't say it is due to your mods.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Originally posted by 98kobra
if the NGKs are good for these engines.. then what really happened to these things... Maybe the tick was actually a knock? and hopefully they don't say it is due to your mods.

The tech already has my motor reassembled and back in the car. He just needs to button everything back up and clean her up a bit. I should be picking it up tomorrow. The tick was just that, a TICK. He just noticed the sorry shape my plugs were in while he was putting it all back together. They are going to put the stock agsf22's or agsf12's, whatever Ford recommends these days. The stockers are a platinum plug though and the NGK TR6's are copper I believe...

Any ways, no mention of voided warranty or attempt to blame mods for my tick. Hell, he installed a set of JBA shorties for me while the motor was out!:thumbsup:

U.M.

Last edited:

Friendchicken

Good deal on the shorties UM.. I know you had the car off the road a while... it must be like rediscovering true love, once lost haha.

The stock plugs are just fine if you are not going to pulley/chip/dyno tune. Any plans to go faster, or are ya just going to start the bling bling mods? I got a carbon fiber replacment hood for ya, only $1600 CDN :)

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
One thing I have found if a tech is strictly a work type person and isnt involved in any aftermarket venue, there view is nothing is better than OEM parts.

NGK TR6 are the chioce of most power adder combo's, not only 03's but most ls1's that are supercharged or throwing a hefty shot of n20 to them. I know I used them when I sprayin a NX 150 shot to my 99 Z-28, had over 5000miles on them and about 10 bottles, and they showed no signs.

I have used NGK's in every modded vehicle I have ever owned and never had a problem unless it was "tune" induced and cause the plug to foul because of something being to rich.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
I'm starting to think my lean AF ratio is/was to blame... I really need the Predator! 2 more weeks.... Yeah, right!

U.M.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I heard from a few tuners that denso's are not only not worth the price but degrade very fast. Platinum plugs were also not recommended. I have autolite AR103's in now gapped at .032.

VENOM98

NOVI POWER
Established Member
That is the plug to use my man. I've let some people in on that plug and it definitely makes a difference........

ar103.jpg

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I don't think I'd ever put the NGK's in my car. They simply don't make a cold enough plug. The TR6 is one heat range HOTTER than the 2nd run stock plugs, the AGSF22FM1's, and TWO heat ranges hotter than the 12FM1's (first run cars). I have 12's in with no chip right now, and they look perfect. I think the variability people may see with the NGKs in these cars are based on tune variability, but the bottom line (at least in my mind) is that the NGK's are way too hot for our application.

AMB

Established Member
The 03 Cobra came with three heat ranges of plugs, AGFS-32/22/12s.
Mine came with AGSF-12s. I now run IT-24s with no problems. Denso says that AGSF-12s = IT-22s.

AMB

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
I don't buy that story at all... I agree with Broke7. I've been running the TR6 in my Vortech blown 97 Cobra with great success for the last 3 years with no trouble. Good real tuners like CJ @ JMS, Randy Haywood, and even engine builders like SHM recommend the TR6 for either boost or nitrous. Our 03's are no different guys...

Like most factory techs, this guy is full of crap... (Nothing against you Uncle Meat !!!)

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
I heard from a few tuners that denso's are not only not worth the price but degrade very fast. Platinum plugs were also not recommended. I have autolite AR103's in now gapped at .032.

I have used Autolites for years, on everything I have and went with the TR6's on everyone's recommendation. So far so good, I guess I should take a look now. Funny thing is I started to look into which Autolite plug to use, AR103's are cooler than the TR6's? I had thought the TR6's are one range cooler than the stock plug I had (1st run Cobra).

What is the heat range of the AR103 vs the TR6's? Same, hotter or cooler?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread