SVT- SHOW VETTES TERROR!!!!

nsreed

Established Member
We had our annual "Cruise Night" in Port Huron, Michigan this past Friday night. Great time, about 500 cars. 5 mile long cruise that lasts from about 6pm to midnight.
Now the fun-
Raced two Vette's and a Viper. The Cobra was king. Vettes were an 01 & 02. Not even close. The race set up was just a hair longer then a quarter mile. Each Vette was about three lengths behind me at the end. Looked down and was doing 110 mph at the shut down point.
The Viper was an 01. He did a little better then the "plastic fantastic's". His nose was just a few feet behind my bumper at the end.
Lot's of fun and the Cobra earned it's keep.

Cobra issues??
No problems with my car at all. My car is an early production and I never had the cat problems, pulling, rattles etc.. Only mods I have done so far is the FR500 exhaust & K&N fliter replacement that eliminates the factory air cleaner. Still thinking hard about the pulley & chip change. Waiting to see how others do. 15lbs of boost scares me. Not sure if it's worth the fun putting that much pressure on the engine. Will have to see what others do.

Remember Chevy...... LIKE A ROCK!!
NSR:lol:

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
You beat a Viper????? I love the '03 Cobras but I have driven a Viper and that person must not have known how to drive. A stock '03 Cobra should have it's ass handed to him by a Viper.

Silver 03 Cobra

He didn't say the Viper was faster than an 03. He said he beat a Viper and it's driver. I did very poorly at the local 1/8 th and there was two little turds in identical stock SS's that were really running there mouths. One even followed me into town and started really showing his ass. He didn't see my last pass after I learned how to hook up because I beat his best pass by over 4 mph. I'm sure when he seen my first four passes he was running around telling everyone how much faster his SS was than an 03 Cobra.

Isn't the 01 Viper 450 HP. I doubt with equal drivers it would hand the 03 it's ass.

Last edited by a moderator:

02SVTF150

Wish I had my username
Established Member
DAMNIT! I forgot all about the Port Huron cruise!

:cryying:

AWESOME kills though. I'm from Algonac btw :thumbsup:

Venom Lover

Established Member
To set the record straight, I used to own an '01 Viper (and bought the Cobra after selling it). With Borla 3" catback it dyno'd at 415 rwhp. With smooth intake tubes and K&N filters it dyno'd at 425 rwhp and 460 rwtq. At 2000 rpm, the 2001 GTS produces about 400 ft-lbs of torque (RW).

Who really cares what rated fwhp is because all that matters is what you put to the ground. Without catback, the '01 typically dyno in the 405 rwhp range, though I stupidly never dyno'd my car when it was totally stock. Also, the Viper weighs 200-300 lbs less than the Cobra. So no matter how you cut it, power to weight ratios, peak torque, low end torque, etc., the Viper wins. You would hope so at 2X the cost of a Cobra.

Anyway, dyno numbers are nice and all, but what really matters is what happens at the track. I only drag raced my 2001 Viper once, and it ran 12.7 sec ETs all day at Palmdale (typically corrects by about 0.5-0.6 sec to get to sea level -- Palmdale is at 2700 ft). Call the Viper a very solid low-12-sec car (on street tires), and many who are more skilled than I launching on street tires can run in the 11's with nothing other than catback and filter.

That being said, I have no doubt you beat the Viper because 90% of Viper owners can't drive worth a sh**. To give you can idea, the SoCal Viper club had an event at Carlsbad yesterday, and there were only 4 Vipers in the 11's (myself included -- and I was the only one without NOS and on a stock motor), maybe another 6 Vipers in the 12's, and everyone else (like another 15 Vipers) in the 13's and .... *gulp* 14's. :kaboom:

Sounds like fun! I'm sure it was a rush beating those Vettes and the Viper. I'm looking forward to such kills in my Cobra! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread