SVT instrument cluster misbuild

miniSHO

Established Member
Also posted on Contour.org:

I just bought a '99 SVT contour that was built in late '98. I bought the car from the original owner. I noticed that the check engine light did not illuminate when the key was turned to the on position. So I figured it was just a burned out bulb. Today I pulled the instrument cluster and found that all the bulbs were OK. I then used a flashlight and shined it into each opening. I found there was no check engine light area and the airbag light was to the far left of the cluster (and it doesn't illuminate). I also found a traction control area and I know that SVT's did not come with that option. I looked in a Ford shop manual and the check engine light should be to the left of the low fuel light (which I have) and the airbag light should be to the right of the low fuel light. I also noticed my fog lamp light illuminates different to the previous contours I have owned. Anyone have any ideas? I really dont care much about the check engine light because I can just scan for codes but the airbag light is pretty important. Has anyone else come across something weird like this?

Also, it is the original cluster because it had a ford sticker on the side of it with a late 98 build date.

dsc05310.jpg

dsc05311.jpg
dsc05314.jpg
dsc05321.jpg
dsc05322.jpg

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
I have no idea on that one. I did notice it has an overdrive light :shrug: and that your fog light indicator is a different color than mine.

95sleeper2b

Established Member
could the gauges have been replaced by someone at an earlier time? that would explain the differences (or not) exspecially the o/d light

SVTStuntin'

Established Member
If you have ever been on the CTA Motorsports website and read about their project SVT you will read that their's has FACTORY TRACTION CONTROL a very rare configuration. It is possible that when your car was built they put an older cluster in on accident, or at one time your car did have traction control.

Users who are viewing this thread