SVT...I need your help! (Fan Removal)

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
SVT....I need your help!!

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET THE CLUTCH FAN OFF THIS TRUCK?!?!?!

This mod (E-fan) will test your sanity!! We have tried the ole screwdriver technique and HUGE wrench method. Well...2 broken screwdrivers later and 1 bent to hell....the stock fan remains....:cuss:

Is there a special tool that can be rented or purchased to make this easier?

I have searched and it has not rewarded me with the knowledge I was seeking.

Please help a fellow brother in need.....thanks in advance to all who reply.

Dorf

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
Lightningfr said:
i think it was on the ford performance truck magazine they did a E fan install..

i think they use like a 3 ft adjustable wrench..

Well we used the same....but how to keep the water pump from moving is my question?:??:

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
There is a tool from Ford. Not sure what it costs. Call pepboys. I am sure they rent them.

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
It is reverse rotation as stated earlier, use a large pipe wrench on the pump and a large crescent or pipe wrench on the fan, should pop right off.

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
First off, I agree that was one of the most frustrating mods Ive done to my truck. The trick that helped me the most was to use a ratchet or breaker bar in the belt tensioner and ADD more tension to the belt, along with the screwdriver. You really have to put your weight into it! Having a buddy would help, too. No more broken tools. You'll like the end result.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
I've done it with-

1. Pipe Wrench and prybar
2. Big Adjustable and prybar
3. Correct wrench and pulley holder.

The right tools make it a fairly easy job.

mhays26

Whats that sound?
Established Member
Damn man, sorry your having such a time with this. It took me and Chy and a couple giant break over bars to get my fan loose. BTW, you almost got me killed saturday when you called about putting those springs in. I was standing on the 6th green at war memorial and some douche bag on the 1st tee almost hit me in the face. Strange deal.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
If you have access to a good air compressor and an air hammer with a long flat bit on it you can just tap the fan clutch with the air hammer in reverse rotation and it will come off really easy. Takes less than 30 seconds this way.

If not the tools that Chris listed will do the job.

mickey03L

Just the normal bolt ons
Established Member
a big cresent wrench and a pipe wrench is what i used. dont forget like others have said thats its left hand threaded

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
Thanks guys...I appreciate the info. I will give it another shot this weekend!

As always with the SVT family....Ask and ye shall receive....:beer:

Dorf

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
You will laugh at this.... I was going through the same problem but I didnt feel like breaking any more of my tools so, I just took the fan out with it still attached to the water pump assembly, used a "saws all" and cut the fan off the water pump assembly so I could get the pulley. I was putting a new water pump on so I needed that pulley that was still attached to the old one. But you cant get that pulley unless you get the fan off. So "saws all" to the rescue!!!

GTPvsSVT

crunk
Established Member
I took a wrench and put it on the WP pulley, spun it until it hit the bottom of the (iirc) PS pulley. That held the shaft in place...I then took the fan clutch removal tool from advance and tapped it with a hammer. Shaft popped, and I was able to unscrew it by hand. I had the same headace before using the wrench-to-pulley method....
Some people's comes right off by just using the tool and a hammer, but mine just spun. Had to make it stationary.

hope this helped,
Kent

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Its been a while but i am pretty sure i used a pipewrench and the correct sized wrench for the hex side. I do remember mine pretty much poped right off tho

Users who are viewing this thread