SVT HELP ME with my Decision - Z06, CTS-V, or GTR ...

Stop&turnFreak

Established Member
So after much debate, and missing of a standard transmission, I decided to go look at a few used cars today. I went with the intent of picking up something manual I could take to track days, and could bump around with at night for fun. I love the caddy, but really miss having a manual transmission. Well, I went today and found a 08 Z06 with a ECS Blower. The Z also has cutouts, and is immaculate. The best thing is it only has 4k miles, and was one owner. It is silver with chrome rims ...

However, the problem occured when I found the guy was also selling his GTR, with 20k miles. The car is daily driven and has the Alpha package from AMS on it. The car is ridiculously loud, but the interior is such a nice place to be, and it hooks like my old race evos did.

So, which would you guy do, Z06 with 586whp and 4k miles, or a GTR w/ 20k and 510AWHP. They feel close to the same out of the hole, but the Z is MUCH faster after triple digits. Both could add another 100whp for a couple grand, so there is no advantage there, and the GTR back seat is all but useless.

The big thing is the GTR is NOT manual. I loved driving the Z, but the fit and finish of the GTR is SO much nicer and more refined. BUT, the car will be a track car and I don't feel comfortable tracking a 100k car, even though I think it would be faster on most road courses.

So, here are the pics below of 'like' cars, for reference, but opinions would be great, I am stumped, and promised to go back Monday with a check for one of the two.

pic of Z06 (NOT his, I don't have pics with me)

008-1.jpg

GTR

nissan-s-2009-improovements-2231_1.jpg

Kiohtee

Established Member
If you wanna straight dominate without having to put forth a ton of effort, get the GT-R.

And I promise you that Z isn't as quick off the line. Almost nothing is as fast as a GT-R out of the hole, and if it is it usually isn't a legit street car. I also doubt the Z is faster past 100.

Z28

Established Member
What is the cost difference? I'm assuming the GTR is considerably more, so that would make a difference also.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Z06!!!! 3200 lb car with a blown 427 sounds like a pretty good track rat to me.

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
ZO6.
People who recommend GTRs must have never performed maintenance or aren't informed on their upkeep...

Sure if you have deep pockets, get the GTR.

Neverbdonegt

Established Member
This isn't even close.... Gtr... As much as I hate hearing about them in every thread there is a reason they keep coming up I guess.

Kiohtee

Established Member
ZO6.
People who recommend GTRs must have never performed maintenance or aren't informed on their upkeep...

Usually people with GT-Rs aren't piss poor broke like college kids with Mustang GTs. Most also probably know a thing or two about turning wrenches as well (and if not, well, that's where the not being a piss poor broke college kid comes into play).

A car with such technology and such a price tag is surely to cost a little more to maintain/upkeep. I am fully aware of my recommendation to him. Z06s aren't exactly easy to work on nor cheap either.

TorchMach

Established Member
ZO6.

If your considering buying either of those two cars and worried about maintenance, you shouldn't be buying either. I'm sure the OP isn't.

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
Usually people with GT-Rs aren't piss poor broke like college kids with Mustang GTs. Most also probably know a thing or two about turning wrenches as well (and if not, well, that's where the not being a piss poor broke college kid comes into play).

A car with such technology and such a price tag is surely to cost a little more to maintain/upkeep. I am fully aware of my recommendation to him. Z06s aren't exactly easy to work on nor cheap either.

I'm sorry did I quote your post...

My input was based on more than...
"It's faster, hands down GTR..."

My buddy is a certified GTR mechanic...

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm sorry did I quote your post...

My input was based on more than...
"It's faster, hands down GTR..."

My buddy is a certified GTR mechanic...

Good for him? It's not like there's many financially-challenged people buying GT-Rs. :lol:

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
Your saying maintenance costs of GTR and ZO6 are comparable? Lol

OP, Both cars are great...you won't go wrong with either. I think the Z will be much more self gratifying. Good luck.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Your saying maintenance costs of GTR and ZO6 are comparable? Lol

OP, Both cars are great...you won't go wrong with either. I think the Z will be much more self gratifying. Good luck.

I'm saying neither are cheap. :nonono:

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
Good for him? It's not like there's many financially-challenged people buying GT-Rs. :lol:

Most financially well off people got that way by spending wisely...it's smart to know what you're getting into before a purchase.

ZO6 is essentially old tech, to compare it to the GTRs costs are ignorant.

Back on topic...

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
Most financially well off people got that way by spending wisely...it's smart to know what you're getting into before a purchase.

Back on topic...

I guess nobody should buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini then? Or anything at exotic at that. I don't know of a single exotic cheaper to maintain than a Z06.

Users who are viewing this thread