SVT gear ratios

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Yes, 4.06 for the 2.5L the 2.0L is a bit taller at something like 3.78

SVTJunky

since we are on the topic what final drive ratio would be best for going fast/available for these cars (I only know good mustang gear ratios)

Primalzer1998

Established Member
Speaking of gear ratios and all that business, has anyone here ever gotten a 5th gear reduction. I certainly don't have enough money for a Euro trans to get the lower final drive, and I do a lot of highway, and i think that dropping the RPM's at least 1000 rpm it would do me a world of good.

-Jon

SpookSVT

Established Member
Primalzer1998 said:
Speaking of gear ratios and all that business, has anyone here ever gotten a 5th gear reduction. I certainly don't have enough money for a Euro trans to get the lower final drive, and I do a lot of highway, and i think that dropping the RPM's at least 1000 rpm it would do me a world of good.

-Jon

Having a new 5th put in would require a Quaife gearset, big $$. You can have the Euro/Zetec FD put in by Terry haines for a reasonable price, he's the guy who did mine. He's also the guy who helped design the car so he knows his stuff.

SVTJunky: The stock 4.06 is best for acceleration, it's a bigger ratio numerically so it will aid in more TQ multiplication, thus increasing acceleration. In case you don't know, a higher numerically ratio is a "steeper", shorter in diameter gear which will increase TQ and acceleration, the opposite for a "taller", higher numerically ratio. This is true for anything to do with gears.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
SVTJunky said:
since we are on the topic what final drive ratio would be best for going fast/available for these cars (I only know good mustang gear ratios)
there is only three total options. The Duratec final drive (4.06), the Zetec (3.84), and the one that a racer made (Capaldi?) at something like 4.56

SpookSVT

Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
there is only three total options. The Duratec final drive (4.06), the Zetec (3.84), and the one that a racer made (Capaldi?) at something like 4.56

3.82, 4.06, 4.25, 4.6, 4.85. From Quaife's website. Those are for the strait cut tooth gears, they don't list the synchromesh gears anymore but I'd imagine they have the same ratios. Capaldi & the Mumms Bros had the 4.5 FD made for them from Quaife along with a full gearset.

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
SpookSVT said:
3.82, 4.06, 4.25, 4.6, 4.85. From Quaife's website. Those are for the strait cut tooth gears, they don't list the synchromesh gears anymore but I'd imagine they have the same ratios. Capaldi & the Mumms Bros had the 4.5 FD made for them from Quaife along with a full gearset.
You answered your own question. Those final drives are made for the $4-5k quaife gear sets. If you spend 5k JUST on your FWD gearbox gears you are in an insane league above the rest of us.
Hell 5k would about build a nice basic project car. Something NOT FWD!!! :bash:

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
Pudmunkies said:
Unless you managed to pull them from a mumm brothers trans for a bit less ;)
The stock gears can outlast even upgraded axles. I love driving my car but there comes a point at which trying to make a FWD touring chassis launch defeats either the handling balance of the car, the cost to worth it ratio, or more likely both of the above.

$1500-2000 for DSS stage 5 axles and hubs plus a few more grand for gears for what; maybe two tenths in the first 60 feet. I'll sanely pass.

Users who are viewing this thread