SVT F a good daily driver?

85sTaNg

4eyeFreaK
Established Member
Hey guys, I was just had some questions about the SVT Focus. I'm gonna be commuting to my new job eventually and I would need a car that gets better than 10 mpg like my GT. I was looking into getting a 03-04 SVT Focus. Its one of the few 4 cyl. cars I like in my budget ($13k or less). They seem to be good on gas and in bad weather, and of course a type of car I can still have fun in.

Do you think this is a good decision? Is there any problems or concerns that I may find when buying a used SVT F (maintnence, damages, etc.)?

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
I've been using my for a DD since I purchased it new. 32K miles later it's still one of my better decisions, IMO.

Decent gas mileage, decent power, and excellent handling/brakes make it fun to drive.

You're not going to win too many drag races with it, but a couple of simple mods can make a noticeable difference in performance.

Mine is equipped with the 'Winter Package'. Which includes Traction Control, Heated Seats, and an Engine Block heater. Definitely good stuff to have in Winter. Though with you living in South Jersey, you could 'probably' get away without these options. I'm only about a 1/2 hour North of Philly, but that makes a BIG difference in weather conditions sometimes.

I also have the optional HID headlights, Auidiophile 6disc in-dash, and Sunroof. Honestly, I don't use the Sunroof very often, but I love the HID's, and the stereo is pretty good for a stocker too.

As with any used car, check it out good first. And a Warranty is never a bad thing.

Last edited:

85sTaNg

4eyeFreaK
Established Member
Cool man. Yeah I don't plan on it tearing the streets up with it, but I would think about putting some mods on it if they are reliable. I go to school in Philly and my job will be in the Tri-State area so it'll get some wear.

Btw, what are some good mods that you would recommend?

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
I've only done a few simple things to mine which worked out very well IMO.

Aftermarket Tune - Either with a Predator or the SCT Xcal2. Makes the car run better all-around (better idle, runs smoother, better low-end power) AND better MPG's! I picked up 2-3mpg after getting my Tune.

SRI or CAI or some sort. Again, made a noticeable difference in low-end power - Something this car lacks from the factory.

Polyurethane lower engine mount - The factory mounts were designed very soft, hence the engine/transaxle moves around quite a bit. First time you powershift it'll sound as if the drivetrain is going to fall out of the bottom of the car. You can buy all 3 (I think?) poly engine mounts, but just the rear mount will make a major improvement. It causes a tad more vibration in the steering wheel at idle, but after the first day you won't even notice it anymore.

Many do the Short Throw Shifter. I have no problem with the stocker.

That's really all I have done to mine. I'm sure others will chime in soon.:beer:

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
Yep, great car. Commuter in northern VT for years, and did great. Now she sits while I get my gym/family off the ground, but I love her just the same. I've had faster cars, but the SVTF is my baby. E-

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Does fine. Has no balls though.

I wouldnt say "No Balls" I have minor mods, and I hold my own at the Track. Yea, you have to mod them to get some bottom end, but they hit 120 fast for a non-asperated 4-banger... They have more after 120, but it takes a-while... Your not dealing with a V-8 here.. I posted that vid. of mine hitting almost 120 at the top of forth. But yes, they make great DD's good luck to ya bro :beer:

Sapperstang

Established Member
My last eight or so cars have been mustangs. Last one was an 04 mach 1. Compared to those this car is gutless. It handles good compared to most mustangs of course. If you honestly think these cars are fast you have never driven a fast car. They're ok for what they are but are nowhere near fast. They do have good acceleration on the highway. But for a DD it is fine.

Sapperstang

Established Member
I wouldnt say "No Balls" I have minor mods, and I hold my own at the Track. Yea, you have to mod them to get some bottom end, but they hit 120 fast for a non-asperated 4-banger... They have more after 120, but it takes a-while... Your not dealing with a V-8 here.. I posted that vid. of mine hitting almost 120 at the top of forth. But yes, they make great DD's good luck to ya bro :beer:

Hold your own against what? These cars and "fast" just do not belong in the same sentence. Nothing fast about how long it takes this thing to get up to speed. :lol: But then you're modded and I don't know what your mods are except your thing says 04 SVT Focal Jet, whatever that is.

Last edited:

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Hold your own against what? These cars and "fast" just do not belong in the same sentence. Nothing fast about how long it takes this thing to get up to speed. :lol: But then you're modded and I don't know what your mods are except your thing says 04 SVT Focal Jet, whatever that is.

Easy bro, I dont want to turn this into an ugly thread :beer: You said it your-self "You have preveiously owned alot of V-8's" Of course the Foci is going to seem slow to you. And when I say, I hold my own at the track, I mean the Flashlight drags.. I do very well against cars in the Foci class. For example, i've beaten Turbo VW's, 4-cylinder Tiburons, RX-7, a few Honda's, of course I have had my ass handed to me alot also, but its all in fun. As for me ever owning a V-8.... I have owned my share, I go through cars like underware. So just to sum up my point, I will say "YES" the SvtFocus is slow compared to a V-8. But compared to other 4-bangers out there, it does very well :beer:

Shinigami

Established Member
yeah the SVT can hold it own (would do better if it didnt have such a long 1st and 2nd) but it also makes up for it in the corners. Is a very well balanced car. I had looked into trading my S/R in on one and reuse my UDP, and SCT on it, but I came across the Mach1 instead. :)

Id like to see how a stock motor SVTf does in the 1/4 with a MTX75 and the 4.06(?) contour final drive.

wjrountree

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
I bought my SVTF about 2 years ago and have since put almost 50,000 miles on it..it is a blast to drive and handles like it's on rails.

Mine is still stock but i have researched mods and ridden in cars with the mods i want, i just have yet to make any

There are a few small things to look out for....clutch making noise when not depressed(clutch/flywheel tsb.)
....fluid on the clutch/brake pedals(bad master cylinder)
....dips in the revs when idling after a stop(bad tune from the factory)
But all in all this a fun car to drive that gets good gas mileage and can be made MUCH More responsive with roughly $1,500 in mods(tune-$400, Throttle body-$200, Intake-$250, Lightweight Flywheel-$300, Off Road Pipe-$225)

Sure there are other mods but these are some of the best/most responsive mods you can make for a fairly small amount of money.

Sapperstang

Established Member
I bought my SVTF about 2 years ago and have since put almost 50,000 miles on it..it is a blast to drive and handles like it's on rails.

Mine is still stock but i have researched mods and ridden in cars with the mods i want, i just have yet to make any

There are a few small things to look out for....clutch making noise when not depressed(clutch/flywheel tsb.)
....fluid on the clutch/brake pedals(bad master cylinder)
....dips in the revs when idling after a stop(bad tune from the factory)
But all in all this a fun car to drive that gets good gas mileage and can be made MUCH More responsive with roughly $1,500 in mods(tune-$400, Throttle body-$200, Intake-$250, Lightweight Flywheel-$300, Off Road Pipe-$225)

Sure there are other mods but these are some of the best/most responsive mods you can make for a fairly small amount of money.

Yeah forgot to mention the issues with these cars. Maybe I got a bad one because I have had most of the problems they're known for. Check engine light came on today on the way home. :nonono: Like the handling but don't really like the car that much.

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
FWIW I own a Roush Stage 3 Mustang with some mods... Very Fast! A 03 SVT Focus with some mods...Kinda Fast! On a Fun per HP scale the Focus wins hands down! The Focus is my daily driver. I used to open track the car, but now I have the Roush. The Focus is the most fun to drive car that I have ever owned. When I used to open track the Focus I could eat up most Mustangs all day long. The focus is not that fast but, I would eat em up in the corners!! It's all about momentum(sp):beer:

Last edited:

6SpeedLover

Established Member
FWIW I own a Roush Stage 3 Mustang with some mods... Very Fast! A 03 SVT Focus with some mods...Kinda Fast! On a Fun per HP scale the Focus wins hands down! The Focus is my daily driver. I used to open track the car, but now I have the Roush. The Focus is the most fun to drive car that I have ever owned. When I used to open track the Focus I could eat up most Mustangs all day long. The focus is not that fast but, I would eat em up in the corners!! It's all about momentum(sp):beer:

:beer:

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
I just picked up mine at the beginning of November and so far I love it. The argument about it being fast is all relative to what you are comparing it to. I bought this as a DD (even though I only really drive it on the weekends, have a company vehicle) and it is fun to drive and does what it does very well...handle, brake, corner, etc. If you are going to compare the speed/power of the SVTF to a Mustang/Cobra it is not even in the same league, for obvious reasons....but compared to other NA 4 bangers it can hold it's own just fine. Search around you can find a good deal on one you just have to look, I spent about 3 weeks searching until I found mine.:beer:

85sTaNg

4eyeFreaK
Established Member
I just picked up mine at the beginning of November and so far I love it. The argument about it being fast is all relative to what you are comparing it to. I bought this as a DD (even though I only really drive it on the weekends, have a company vehicle) and it is fun to drive and does what it does very well...handle, brake, corner, etc. If you are going to compare the speed/power of the SVTF to a Mustang/Cobra it is not even in the same league, for obvious reasons....but compared to other NA 4 bangers it can hold it's own just fine. Search around you can find a good deal on one you just have to look, I spent about 3 weeks searching until I found mine.:beer:

Nice bro. Where you at in Philly? I'm livin' over on 33rd and Race (Drexel University).

Users who are viewing this thread