svt engine in a zx3

opquickie

Established Member
i'm new to the board, but i want to become active because after lots of research i really like the svt focus.

my question is "is it logical/plausible to drop the 2L zetec svt engine into a regular zx3 focus?" you can get a high mileage focus zx3 for 5-6k, and the engine is 3600 "Complete engine from throttle body to oil pan." i think this would be cheaper, and funds are limited b/c i'm only in high school. what's your input on this?

thx in advance

Steeltwo

Established Member
the handling is what makes the cars.

you'll have a low 15 sec car for 10 grand. Then you'll want the 6 spd tranny etc etc. It'll cost you more a svt just to get the engine in there.

might as well buy a used stang gt and run low 14's for 10 grand.

Primaris

Established Member
You do not have to change the tranny. In fact if you're of the knuckle dragger type (can only drive straight) you want the five speed. You will need the ECU though.

Daeron

Established Member
They fixed some PCM stuff in the 04's, but they are all essentially the same. 03 and 04 you could get the EAP version (Recaro leather seats, seat heaters, traction control, block heater, 15 spoke rims, optional orange and yellow paint colors) which is a bit more on the rare side (more 03's then 04's). It's really not too hard to find one, but you may have to travel to get it :)

M SIX

Go Big or Go Home
Established Member
You can fit a 04 cobra engine under the stock hood of a zx3 as well as a 302 5.0 V8. I dont think you will have problems droping in a 2.5 duratec V6.

Steeltwo

Established Member
M SIX said:
You can fit a 04 cobra engine under the stock hood of a zx3 as well as a 302 5.0 V8. I dont think you will have problems droping in a 2.5 duratec V6.
why drop a engine with no aftermarket in it?

not to mention the zetec has gone faster.

AmazonFocusSVT

Amazon Racing Focus Guru
Established Member
Im yanking my Motor to swap in another 'secret swap' my motor trans and ECU will be up for grabs...PM me if ya want it..

M SIX

Go Big or Go Home
Established Member
Steeltwo said:
why drop a engine with no aftermarket in it?

not to mention the zetec has gone faster.
First things first I misread the original question. I thought he was asking if he can fit a 2.5 duratec in his zx3. I didnt say to put an 04 cobra engine in his car. I simply said you can fit one under the stock hood with out a problem or cowl so a 2.5 would not be a problem either. Secondly I was unaware that there is no aftermarket parts for the 04 cobra engine as you stated?

Switchblade550

Established Member
Re: SVT

If I were you I'd go with something like an 02 or 03 SVT, you get a lot more and if you look right you can get one for not that much more than the prices you were looking at making a "faux" one. Sure the '02s (like mine) may need some ECU work but nothing a reflash can't handle. Still a darn good car. Be wary of a few things like the clutch, mine went under warrenty so I made out good but be careful. If money is an issue deffinetly look at the early ones cause they will be cheaper and still good cars.

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
Yep, without the brakes, and wheels, and suspension, and exterior, and interior, you'd just have a quick ZX3. Not worth it when a decent 02 can be bought for less than 10K. Then throw some sticky tires at it and go racing like Primaris, or power adder and go drag racing like me and Venom. Good luck bro!! E-

Steeltwo

Established Member
M SIX said:
Secondly I was unaware that there is no aftermarket parts for the 04 cobra engine as you stated?
nooooooo
the 03 cobra engine has a huge aftermarket for it.

the 2.5L duratec has almost zero aftermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread