SVT clutch

Osiris_SVT

SVTHC
Established Member
Well, the clutch on my 99 CSVT has officially broken down. I guess it's time for me to buy a new one. I plan to do quite a few mods over the next couple of years so I will need a clutch that can handle some street mods (maybe even turbo?).

I priced out a stock SVT clutch at ford, and they also included a price for a specific part # F5RZ*7A508*A (CYL ASY). The guy at the counter said I should get this replaced while the tranny is open. Does anyone know what it is, and what it does? and will the stock SVT clutch be able to handle mods?

I have also been comparing the stock SVT clutch prices to centerforce and SPEC (stage 2 clutch & flywheel kit), and the SHO shop HiRevs clutch. The things I need to know are:
1. Do I need a new flywheel when purchasing an aftermaket clutch?
2. Is each flywheel made to a specific type of clutch, or is it a generic part?
3. If I do need a flywheel as well, is there anything else I would need when replacing a clutch, that might not be included in the clutch kit (ex. Release bearing... whatever that is)?

So far, the SPEC stage 2 clutch & flywheel kit looks like the best deal:
http://www.spmotorsports.com/ATCcontour_driveline_clutchflywheel_combos.html

Please let me know what you think.

:beer: :poke: :pepper:

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
The 'Clyinder assembly' he's referring to is most likely the throw out bearing / slave cylinder assembly which is one piece. Definately replace it.

Although the SVT clutch is a good unit, I'd go with the SPEC Stage I in a stock car. A bit stronger than the stocker, and if you have a relatively stock car, then stick with the OEM or Stage I.

You do not have to get a new flywheel, but at least resurface the one you have...

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
If you want to raise power much above stock levels I would also recommend the SPEC Stage 1 over the SVT kit. (Stage 2 is kevlar so stay AWAY from that bunk!)

The SPEC kit comes with a new OEM T/O bearing. Replacing it is a must.

A lightened flywheel is a nice perk but an LSD is a MUST!!! You are absolutely insane (to put it very nicely) to not replace the stock glass diff with an LSD when you have every thing cracked open.

Check out arizonadynochip for prices on SPEC parts and a Torsen LSD. They're hard to beat on SPEC and definitely the best on the Torsen.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I just bought that bunk after reading tons of SPEC threads on CEG. I didn't think the Stage I would have the capacity to the power levels I'll hopefull have, the the Stage III seems to harsh for the area I live in for daily driving. I'm not concerning about getting 30k miles out of the clutch as the car doesn't get driven on a daily basis. So, we'll see.... :)
DemonSVT said:
(Stage 2 is kevlar so stay AWAY from that bunk!)

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
LSD = Limited Slip Differential = Quaife or Torsen. Go to contour.org enter either word in a search and read til your heart is content. In your average modified CSVT, either are sufficient.

Users who are viewing this thread