SVT and Next Gen Cobra in Trouble, we can help

Black93Cobra

Established Member
To my extreme dismay, the next gen Cobra is in jeopardy. It would seem the "bean counters" within Ford are lobbying to eliminate SVT and all their products. The SVT Focus was the first casualty, now the Lightning has been delayed and might be totally nixed. See the attached link from a knowledgeable Ford insider.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17520

We can help by faxing SVT and we all should, not only those of us who wish to purchase the next gen Cobra but those of us who have enjoyed SVT products over the last 11 years. If you love Ford products and Mustangs in particular, we have to let Ford execs hear the voice of their enthusiast community loud and clear. Don't eliminate SVT or their products either the Cobra or the Lightning.

Bstix

Established Member
Wait a minute, this doesn't make any sense. So the "bean counters" waited for SVT to complete development of two vehicles and believe it is a smart business decision not to start production? I would think if the vehicles were ready the only way to recover costs would be to sell some cars/trucks. The program has already spent the development money necessary to produce the components, they're not going to throw all that money away.

Performance vehicles are the hottest segment in the automotive industry right now, do you really think Ford is going to kill SVT while every major competitor is tooling up new performance-divison products?

If Ford was doing that bad they would not have made the GT, studied the two Shelby concepts, or start development of the Hurricane engine. I'm calling BS on this until a reputable source comes forward and announces it to the automotive press.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Originally posted by Bstix
Wait a minute, this doesn't make any sense. So the "bean counters" waited for SVT to complete development of two vehicles and believe it is a smart business decision not to start production? I would think if the vehicles were ready the only way to recover costs would be to sell some cars/trucks. The program has already spent the development money necessary to produce the components, they're not going to throw all that money away.

Performance vehicles are the hottest segment in the automotive industry right now, do you really think Ford is going to kill SVT while every major competitor is tooling up new performance-divison products?

If Ford was doing that bad they would not have made the GT, studied the two Shelby concepts, or start development of the Hurricane engine. I'm calling BS on this until a reputable source comes forward and announces it to the automotive press.

You call BS, big deal. Okay, so YOU are willing to risk it? I'M NOT. I've seen this happen before with Ford canning mature projects. You call BS. Fine. I mean, hey, It's soooooo hard to cut & paste your name onto a form letter --AND fax it, too (read with HEAVY Sarcasm)! :burn:
It's MUCH easier to let them cancel it, THEN resurrect it. RIGHT...
:lol:

Last edited:

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
I'm on the fence about this one. I know Ford was planning on stopping mustang production in the early 90s, and the Probe was actually going to be the mustang replacement. My uncle wrote a letter to petition, like these guys are doing and he recieved a reply letter from Ford thanking him for his involvement.

As of right now? The new mustang is going to be such a success, I don't see why they would inhibit it's growth. I could see them holding off on the Lightning and Focus, but the Cobra? I doubt it. Nevertheless I'll do my part.

Maybe SVT will distripute discount coupons to those who save the Cobra! hahaha yeah right.

and this just occurred to me. what about the lease program that Ford is offering where you leas an 04 Cobra/Lightning and then get first dibbs on the next model, they going to screw all those people over too?

Last edited:

Bstix

Established Member
Crispy,

You're right it doesn't require much effort, but why waste any time on something as rediculous as this? Do you believe everything you hear? Show some respect for yourself and others, go out and get informed before you start flaming people you ass. Morons like you are constantly in the way of other people, filling forums with worthless banter and faxing pointless letters to a trash can on the other end. If you don't mind wasting more of your time send a letter on my behalf and STFU.

Note the subtle absence of sarcasm and emoticons...

Black93Cobra

Established Member
Bstix,

If you think this is a waste of time, that is certainly your opinion. However, don't flame others for their efforts. The original poster on modularfords is a reputable Ford insider so this isn't ridiculous. If you enjoy high performance Ford products then you should be concerned about this news. The pattern has been established, Ford has cancelled the SVT Focus and shelved the Lightning, canceling the Cobra is definitely within the realm of possibility. Even if Ford isn't about to can the project, hearing the voice of the enthusiast community is important. Making every effort to make sure Ford understands our needs for high performance automobiles will ensure the Cobra and other high performance models are produced wearing the blue oval.

Also if you don't think Ford (or any other manufacturer for that matter) would cancel a project after devoting significant $ to development you are wrong. It happens all the time and not just in manufacturing industries. Corporations such as Ford spend billions each year on projects and initiatives that will never see the light of day.

Bstix

Established Member
Black, Crispy

If you flame you get flamed back, read his post. You're right, ridicuous is probably a bit strong and calling BS was stupid. Sometimes the truth is hard to swallow, but I still don't think (SVT going away) is truth...yet. I don't doubt the source of the original post from modularfords is a good guy, but what exactly is a Ford insider? Is he a Ford employee? Does he work on the SVT Mustang or Lightning programs? In an effort to sift through the rumors and get to some fact I called our SVT program guys today and had a good discussion with them. Out of respect to SVT I'll limit the details of the discussion to the following:

1) SVT Mustang program is alive and kicking.

2) As the original press release from Ford stated the Lightning has been postponed, the program is not cancelled.

Thank you for trying to explain the business I work in to me.... errr something like that. You mean everything Ford dreams up and spends money on doesn't come to fruition? Holy crap!!! Start the presses! Oh, come on don't get pissed. I'm just having some fun with you. I appreciate your post and hopefully the limited info I provided in 1) & 2) above is useful to you.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Originally posted by Bstix
Black, Crispy

If you flame you get flamed back, read his post. You're right, ridicuous is probably a bit strong and calling BS was stupid. ...Out of respect to SVT I'll limit the details of the discussion to the following:

1) SVT Mustang program is alive and kicking.

2) As the original press release from Ford stated the Lightning has been postponed, the program is not cancelled.

Thank you for trying to explain the business I work in to me.... errr something like that. You mean everything Ford dreams up and spends money on doesn't come to fruition? Holy crap!!! Start the presses! Oh, come on don't get pissed. I'm just having some fun with you. I appreciate your post and hopefully the limited info I provided in 1) & 2) above is useful to you.

BSTIX, I appreciate what you said- really. I even laughed when you flamed me back. I did call SVT yesterday. They said that the Cobra is on track (for what it's worth)- BUT it's important- and they really appreciate it- when letters of support come in. The guy sounded like it was necessary.
So, I did not send a letter for you, but I sent one for myself. I don't have your contact info (place emoticon......here). Hey, if this gets canned, it gets canned. I was simply making a point to make sure this gets produced.

PS- Black, I appreciate your chiming in.

Bstix

Established Member
Crispy, Black,

It's hard not to love these vehicles and you're right to express it, fax or otherwise. If you don't take advantage of your chance you don't get to cry about the outcome, right?. Just in case things don't go as planned, trash can or not, I'll be drafting a letter when I get home.

Have a good one.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Great-- Good stuff.
I won't cry about the outcome, I will just have to look for another vehicle. I've done it before.
I am just a huge Ford fan- I have had numerous Ford products (among them 8 mustangs, and 2 Shelby Mustangs), and I would really love to see this thing built. I think Ford NEEDS to build this vehicle.
If they do, I will be one of the first to plunk down a deposit- with a dealer who won't pork me. If there is too much mark-up, I will either wait or have to buy something else.

Pyro

Established Member
This makes sense because I've read that Ford is brining back the Shelby Mustang which will NOT be part of the SVT organization. As such, there would be a conflict between the two organizations/brands. For example, which Mustang would be the flagship Mustang? Cobra vs. Shelby? They are probably thinking that the name Shelby has more brand identity than SVT especially with the retro theme and all.

IF the do away with SVT, don't panic because it may just be replaced with another branch of ford which would make cars like the Shelby Mustang. No proof axcept for the article in Mustang Magazine (I think) so it's just my guess. Afterall, the retro theme is "IN" right now and SVT is not "retro".

Pyro

Established Member
If it is true, I guess my Cobra may increase in value!!

Last edited:

Black93Cobra

Established Member
Hey Bstix, no hard feelings for sure. I appreciate the info and certainly hope SVT stays on track to produce a new Cobra. All of us here love our Cobras and want Ford to produce another. Ford needs to produce one. You know as well as many others that sometimes execs in companys become isolated from what the customers want. From time to time it is valuable for the bean counters and the decision makers to hear from the buying public on exactly what we want, if nothing else it can certainly solidify Ford's decision to produce the car.

Users who are viewing this thread