SVO style 2.3 Turbo motor, oil out of dipstick tube under boost

pwrshft99

Established Member
Title sums it up basically. I have a 90k mile 2.3 turbo motor swapped into a 96 Ranger. Runs great, no smoke, good power etc. It makes about 10 psi. I have a vented catch can and no PCV valve.

I did drive the motor NA for awhile and it didnt have an oil consumption problem nor did it really lose any oil. A compression test checked out as well. Being 30 years old I cant expect the rings to seal perfectly but it seems to be healthy.

Figured someone on here must be old enough to remember these motors too!

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I've got a complete rebuilt one and 1985 computer from Paul Becker when he lived in Glen Burnie Maryland. I ought to do something with it...The car it was bought for rotted away.

20180510_143027.jpg
20180510_143032.jpg

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Start with the easy things first. Do you have the correct dipstick? Do you have too much oil?

Your rings are good? How about oil pressure?

flash0080

Established Member
Make sure you have the correct pvc valve. Those should have a oneway check valve like the turbo coupes to keep from pressurizing the crankcase.

pwrshft99

Established Member
Start with the easy things first. Do you have the correct dipstick? Do you have too much oil?

Your rings are good? How about oil pressure?

Dipstick came with motor, just factory oil pressure gauge but it reads OK. I changed oil recently so its at 5 quarts. I use a V8 filter for a bit more capacity.

Voltwings

Established Member
What exactly is routed to the catch can? Crankcase and valve cover, with no other ways for air to get in or out? Do you currently have any check valves?

pwrshft99

Established Member
What exactly is routed to the catch can? Crankcase and valve cover, with no other ways for air to get in or out? Do you currently have any check valves?

It routed as you described, valve cover and crankcase plumb to catch can. I have a push in breather on top of the can so basically the whole thing vents to the atmosphere. I have no check valves since didnt see a way boost could get in?

99-venom

Established Member
If my memory serves me right, the 2.3 had a interference fit for the dip stick tube where it goes into the block. Little rtv will fix up a lose tube.

Got any pics of your 2.3 swap?

pwrshft99

Established Member
If my memory serves me right, the 2.3 had a interference fit for the dip stick tube where it goes into the block. Little rtv will fix up a lose tube.

Got any pics of your 2.3 swap?

The tube has a lot of wiggle once seated in the hole. I made an attempt with some expoy to seal it jb there buy apparently it didnt take.

Heres a few picks, far from done and far from pretty. Truck is a mix of junkyard and Craigslist parts but its sounds great, gets lots of attention and still has potential IMO

Attachments

• IMG_20180505_103910.jpg
    IMG_20180505_103910.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_20180429_183025.jpg
    IMG_20180429_183025.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 128

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Man, I love the old Lima motors.

But, yeah, you just need to RTV around where the tube enters the block.

Be sure to thoroughly clean everywhere the RTV will sit with brake cleaner.

pwrshft99

Established Member
Man, I love the old Lima motors.

But, yeah, you just need to RTV around where the tube enters the block.

Be sure to thoroughly clean everywhere the RTV will sit with brake cleaner.

I will give that a try. I am looking for a better alternative in the aftermarket. I had a nick Lokar flexible dipstick on my 4.6 GT, it had a double o ring and looked great. Can't find much for old 2.3 anymore

Users who are viewing this thread