Suspension

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
Hey,

I now have 129,xxx miles on my '98 CSVT. My rear springs are shot. So I'm wanting to replace all of the struts and springs since I'm pretty sure its still the original suspension.
Because of the high mileage and my budget, I'm looking to get used parts with preferably low miles.

My question has to do with the ride height of the car. Because my suspension is old, I'm thinking it might be a little lower than the original stock ride height. If I get another stock setup with low miles, will it "raise" the ride height of my car??
If so, what other setups can I look at to maybe give me no more than a 1" drop?? I don't wanna go too low since I still have stock wheels and I use the car as my DD. (Delaware roads aren't the smoothest...)

I've already been trying to keep my eye out on contour.org but maybe you guys have some friends that might have something 4sale.
Any help or info would be appreciated. :beer:

Thanks,
Frank

00tourSVT

Established Member
i will second the motion on the BAT kit. from what you said you are looking for, that kit will fit the bill perfectly.

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
Thanks for all of the input.
I've heard quite a bit about the BAT kit.

So, I'm assumming from the responses, that if I get a newer stock setup...it WILL "raise" my ride height alittle?? is this correct to assume??

Also, where might be the best place I can get the BAT kit?

Thanks,
Frank

Red99CSVT

Established Member
A stock kit won't really raise the car it'll put it back to stock height but for the money and if you can find a good stock kit just get the BAT.

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
A stock kit won't really raise the car it'll put it back to stock height but for the money and if you can find a good stock kit just get the BAT.

Yeah, I understand that. I wasn't trying to imply that my car would be "raised". I just meant that I was assumming my car might ride a little lower than it did brand new cuz my suspension has 130k, but I wasn't sure.

Unless I'm looking at it wrong, the BAT kit looks like it would be $600-$700 for struts and springs...
So I will most likely be looking at finding a good used set with decent miles.

Or maybe I should just replace the rear, cuz they are the ones that really are bad???

LilCe98

The One and Only
Established Member
I was looking into the BAT kit myself. I guess after shipping it will be around 650, but its still the best bang for the buck imo

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
I was looking into the BAT kit myself. I guess after shipping it will be around 650, but its still the best bang for the buck imo

Yeah, so maybe I'll wait to see how my taxes treat me. Or I'll keep looking for a good used set...

LilCe, you are one of the closest people, to my location, that I've seen on here.
It's just weird cuz most of the people I see post on here are in the Central US.

brapple

Established Member
thanks for deciphering that. It hurt my head to figure out if he was making a statement or asking a question.

yeah I can follow. I believe BAT calls it the European handling kit because the struts are most likely sourced from somewhere in europe as evidence of difference damping and rebound values. IIRC most basic US type struts are a 50/50 so you get the smooth floating ride. The BAT struts must be something like 60/40 or 80/20 as they are stiffer which allows them to work better with lowering springs. or at least that is how I recall it being. so you get a nice firm but forgiving ride.

brapple

Established Member
been really happy with the BAT struts. like I said they are alittle stiffer then stock and would go very well with the BAT springs or any other lowering spring.

gomach1

5.0hh
Established Member
im planning on getting the BAT kit this week, but i was thinking, im trying to save as much as i can... my car has 140k on it, i DD, and im not concerned about lowering it, i just want it to handle better. should i just get the BAT struts for all 4 corners or would it be wise to just get the kit? with the springs, or use my stock springs?
i would spend 625 on the kit or save 200 and just get struts and shocks...

Thanks

brapple

Established Member
im planning on getting the BAT kit this week, but i was thinking, im trying to save as much as i can... my car has 140k on it, i DD, and im not concerned about lowering it, i just want it to handle better. should i just get the BAT struts for all 4 corners or would it be wise to just get the kit? with the springs, or use my stock springs?
i would spend 625 on the kit or save 200 and just get struts and shocks...

Thanks

if you are not overly concerned with handling or a drop I would go to rockauto.com and get some motorcraft replacement struts. do note that the SVT specific front struts are not available any more. all rear struts are the same.

now the bat kit will firm up the ride, lower it very slightly, ~1" iirc and will make the car more fun to drive. add some strut mounts as they will be shot and you will have a much more sporty feeling, and better handling dd that you should enjoy every single day. the bat kit will make any contour handle and feel like it should.

so its your call. but I would definately replace the strut mounts while you are in there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread