Suspension upgrades: Anything else?

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I'm hoping to do a lot of this work all in one swell foop. So I'm stockpiling all of the parts I want to put on before I do anything.

Currently I have or have ordered (parts marked with * are ordered but haven't arrived):

*Steeda Sport springs
*Koni STR.T dampers
BMR adjustable panhard bar
BMR panhard brace
BMR rear lower control arms
BMR rear LCA relocators
FRPP jounce bumpers
*GT500 strut mounts
*Eibach camber bolts

Edit again: parts list changed to reflect what I've gone with since the thread started. :D

Is there anything else any of you would suggest? Rear upper control arm/third link maybe? Is there much room for improvement in the sway bars?

Last edited:

BlackMamba3

Established Member
Good mods so far.

Personally, I'd add these:

Eibach front and rear adjustable sway bars
Eibach Multi-Pro R2 coilover suspension system
Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber plates
BMR rear upper control arm and bracket

bexamous

Established Member
You should really do shocks/struts, its by far the worst stock suspension part. If you just want better looks, yeah you can do just springs.

Also getting 2010 shocks/struts isn't a big deal, you just get the $80 GT500 upper strut mounts.... if you're going for a big drop tho, eg 2"+ in front, you might wnat to just get steeda mounts. It sucks how expensive they are, but it might save you time in the long run.

legos_mustang

Established Member
I would definitely recommend changing out the factory dampers. I replaced mine with the ever popular Koni yellow sport dampers, and it completely changed the car. On its softest setting, it is slightly softer than what the Brembo dampers provide, but the tires stay glued to the road much better. It's great for long road trips. A few turns to adjust, and it is now as firm as the Brembos, but so much better over small bumps and more responsive to quick turns and breaking. If you plan on taking it to the track, you can adjust it even firmer, and by changing the firmness of the front and back separately, change the behavior of the car in terms of understeer and oversteer.

There are a lot of other high quality dampers out there as well, so this isn't just a plug for Koni. Take a look around at what dampers people have and how they are using their car (Track, quarter mile, DD, combination). If you are looking to spend a little less money, you would feel a noticeable improvement with some of the better aftermarket non-adjustable dampers as well... It just depends what you want to spend.

For me, it was easily the best investment I made in my suspension, and my mods are quite similar to yours.

Hope this helps. BTW - Sweet Kona Blue... but maybe I'm partial. :beer:

Cheers
Lego
Picture3small.gif

BlackMamba3

Established Member
You should really do shocks/struts, its by far the worst stock suspension part. If you just want better looks, yeah you can do just springs.

Also getting 2010 shocks/struts isn't a big deal, you just get the $80 GT500 upper strut mounts.... if you're going for a big drop tho, eg 2"+ in front, you might wnat to just get steeda mounts. It sucks how expensive they are, but it might save you time in the long run.

He wouldn't have to get the 2010 shocks/struts themselves, just the mounts.

:poke:

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
I would definitely recommend changing out the factory dampers. I replaced mine with the ever popular Koni yellow sport dampers, and it completely changed the car. On its softest setting, it is slightly softer than what the Brembo dampers provide, but the tires stay glued to the road much better. It's great for long road trips. A few turns to adjust, and it is now as firm as the Brembos, but so much better over small bumps and more responsive to quick turns and breaking. If you plan on taking it to the track, you can adjust it even firmer, and by changing the firmness of the front and back separately, change the behavior of the car in terms of understeer and oversteer.

There are a lot of other high quality dampers out there as well, so this isn't just a plug for Koni. Take a look around at what dampers people have and how they are using their car (Track, quarter mile, DD, combination). If you are looking to spend a little less money, you would feel a noticeable improvement with some of the better aftermarket non-adjustable dampers as well... It just depends what you want to spend.

For me, it was easily the best investment I made in my suspension, and my mods are quite similar to yours.

Hope this helps. BTW - Sweet Kona Blue... but maybe I'm partial. :beer:

Cheers
Lego
Picture3small.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself.

O/p im currently building my suspension setup right now to do it all at once.

Koni STR T dampers
Frpp springs
GT500 strut mounts

The list is building rather quickly as i have some LCA's and relocation brackets on the way.

I spoke with Sam Strano throughout my purchase and he was very knowledgeable and it didn't try to sway me one way or another.
He did mention the Steeda springs were probably a better bang for the buck, but i got my springs elsewhere for right at $100 so i cant complain.
I was told to wait on the panhard bar when Sam said his 11 gt's rear was off stock and the drop actually centered it, every car will be different.
As for Camber bolts and or plates, unless your going to a 2.0" or lower drop these may not be needed either, some camber isnt a bad thing depending on your use for the car.

Now bexamous advised Steeda mounts which are great because you eliminate the use for camber plates/ bolts due to the steeda mounts having the adjustability for camber, but what he didnt mention was you still need the isolaters from the GT500 mounts. This would tack on another $80 to the price or you would have to find someone wanting to part with their isolaters.

As for install i know you mentioned you just wanted springs, but you will have to take out the dampers for spring swap so while your under there you might as well change your dampers in the process. Just depending on if your installing yourself or having a shop go at it, assembling all new springs, dampers, and strut mounts and simply swapping new for stock setup makes your life 10X easier and less time for install therefore cheaper install fee.

Also like legos_mustangs said Koni's are not the end all to be, if adjustability is what your wanting the Tokico D-Specs are a good choice as well. Koni Sports are still on backorder till who knows when

Hope this helps

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Alright, jerks. I'm spending more money now because of you. :D

I'm ordering the steeda sports/koni STR.T package from strano. There is such a clamor for this combination on all of the mustang boards that there must be something to it. I'll just see if I can sell my Roush springs to someone nearby.

I think I'm going to do the rear third link too, but I'm not sure which piece to go with. The Steeda link for lowered vehicles looks like it might be a good one... Any advice on that?

I'll just go with GT500 strut mounts for now to see how the camber looks.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
The bumpstops were cheap, wasn't too worried about wasting the money.

The panhard brace isn't needed just to lower the vehicle, but there's nothing wrong with stiffening things up underneath. A strut tower brace isn't exactly needed either.

Speaking of that, it's pretty interesting that almost every aftermarket strut tower brace just bolts to the inner strut tower bolts like the factory ones do, yet people have been questioning the value of the stock braces because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread