Suspension Suggestions

04dreamcobra

When it runs, it's fast...
Established Member
I am ins the process of installing the FTBR kit... so much stuff. I know this will make a huge difference but i am wanting to see if there are any thoughts on other suspension goodies i should or could do for a reasonable price. It will be street driven but is driven rarely. I don't mind a harder ride as long as i'm not getting abused. HA. I want better handling and cornering. I don't drag so no worries there. I am on a little bit of a budget so nothing too crazy. I should also add that i consider myself suspension stupid. I know very little a bout the subject. Car makes 700ish rwhp. Any feedback or lessons appreciated. Thanks in advance!

bigmoose

Established Member
Have you done any work on the front end or do you have the original ball joints and bushings? It's not too expensive to refresh the front end. It tightened up my front end alot since my stuff was original. I went with:
Prothane bushings
Steeda x2 ball joints
New OEM inner tie rods
Steeda bumpsteer kit
Prothane steering rack bushings
New sway bar end links and bushings
I also went with new MM CC plates as mine were worn.

This all helped with the geometry since I'm also running lowering springs.

Woody6799

Established Member
Have you done any work on the front end or do you have the original ball joints and bushings? It's not too expensive to refresh the front end. It tightened up my front end alot since my stuff was original. I went with:
Prothane bushings
Steeda x2 ball joints
New OEM inner tie rods
Steeda bumpsteer kit
Prothane steering rack bushings
New sway bar end links and bushings
I also went with new MM CC plates as mine were worn.

This all helped with the geometry since I'm also running lowering springs.

All this, except I went with MM coil overs up front... 275# springs and it rides 100x better than lowering springs.

04dreamcobra

When it runs, it's fast...
Established Member
Cool! I did some refreshing recently. Ball joints and such. Mm cc plates. I also have flsfc on. So sounds like bushing and a cool over kit should do the trick at this point! Any more suggestions keep an coming! Thanks also for the ones I got!

bubblehead93

Established Member
coil-overs are probably not very budget conscious... I spent a few years auto-x'ing with just h&r race springs and some good struts/shocks... do control arm bushings all the way around.... LCAs up front, UCA/LCAs on the IRS... combine that with front and rear bumpsteer kits (and actual dial in your bumpsteer)... recommend if you get new struts/shocks, get some that are already coil-over ready (and that are appropriate, some are not strong enough for coil-over duty), that way if you want to go that route later, you don't need new struts/shocks... if your ball joints are in rough shape, replace them... unless you are lowering a bunch (more than h&r race springs do), replacement oem ball joints are fine... they are solid pieces... the MM front and rear bumpsteer kits are a good option if you go that route as well...

I now run coil-overs all the way round, but a good setup is not cheap (again, you mentioned budget), also I would add a 3 pt strut tower bar in that case as well, tie the shock towers together with the fire wall... a lot of force gets added to the strut towers when you go coil-over... I would add the strut tower brace even if not going coil-over yet... old trick from the early mustang days (mote carlo bar)... if you go rear coil-over, I would add a rear shock tower bar as well, not as critical... but your adding a bunch of force there as well, but it is already pretty rigid...

SlowSVT

Established Member
Replace the OEM toe link bars with ones from FTBR
Replace the "zero friction" OE ball joints and tie rod ends with beefier Moog units
Coilovers will be harder on the chassis structure these are a mixed bag
Avoid urethane bushings are articulating joints. Consider delrin front A-arm bushings from Global West

http://www.globalwest.net/1994-04mustang.html

Users who are viewing this thread