Suspension setup

Cobie03

Established Member
I currently have 03 cobra struts and shocks with H&R Supersport springs. The problem is the car is way too low and I have BBk longtubes which makes the exhaust hang even lower. That in turn means my exhaust scrapes on each and every dip. AND FORGET ABOUT SPEED BUMPS!!!
:bash: I was thinking of going with either Tokico or Koni adjustables and H&R Race springs. Any other suggestions would be well apperciated. What do all think of this setup? :beer:

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
The 99/01 steeda springs dropped my car way low in the back. I heard the 03/04 springs dont drop it down as much, so you can try those. They have a higher spring rate, but i wouldnt think that should matter much.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
#1: Time for some 18s.
#2: do NOT use '03/04 springs

I have '03 Bilsteins on my '01 with Eibach Pro-kit springs (with a half coil cut off the front for a better SLIGHTLY raked stance).
From my experience, I LOVE this combo and do not have the issues you describe.
I also installed 18" afs '03 replicas at the same and occassionally put the 17" Cobra Rs off my '91 on the Cobra (to use the DRs and save some weight up front), so trust me when I say the 18s make the car have better road ground clearance.
For the '03/04 models, you know they gained about 200+#s right?---and where did they gain it?---yep, over the nose with an iron block/supercharger/IC, etc.
So, what happens when you install those on our cars?---bingo, the nose doesn't drop and you get that sweet (sarcasm) reverse rake.
Now, its not that bad, but all I'm trying to say is don't do it.
I'd suggest either getting slightly taller wheels/tires, or maybe swapping springs. I personally like the H&R drop, but I think it is on the aggressive side and much better if you live in an area with nice roads.
Good luck, J

NAPERCOBRA

Established Member
I feel you

I just had the same set up installed in my 01 cobra conv and let me tell you its real low, I also had an magnaflow high flow x-pipe installed when i had my suspension done and I was a little disapointed my x-pipe would scrape just by pulling out of the shop to have the car aligned..:shrug: My car has 18 inch y2k all around, I think my car dopped about 2-3 inches maybe 3.5 because its real low. My friend loosend the whole exhaust system and moved everything up to the chassis my heating all the pipes and it worked.:) My car looks great underneath and on the outside no rattles or funny noises. You could never tell he touched the exhaust. Good luck with youre car because I know how you feel like you wasted your money. Also you might want to install new poly urothane spring isolators that was going to be my next move. My car has not scraped at all and Ive driven it 200 miles :) Lots of luck ...

Cobie03

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys and keep em coming. I want to go with 18" rims eventually but first I have to get my suspension right. I put a small hole in one of my mufflers yesterday and the exhaust leak is very noticable.:mj: I am gonna call maximum motorsports today to see what they say about the adjustable shock and struts ( which brand is better Tokico, Koni) and H&R race springs. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread