Suspension Problems! Please Help

96svtdriver

Established Member
Over the last three months it's been necessary for me to get an alignment due to whats been a reoccurring issue with my car wanting to pull to the left while driving. After looking at the last three alignments I've had one thing stands out and that's the Total Toe In. The last time I took the car in for example I had a left hand toe of .24* and a right hand toe of .32*. Afterward, the toe was reset to .10* ea side for a total toe of .20*. What I can't seem to understand is, no matter how much or little, or where I drive it, the car wants to pull to the left again in just a few days. I feel just alignments are becoming a waste and there's an underlying issue here.

I'm certain at this point it's not the way I drive it, but something else seems to be going on here. Aside from the suspension mods in my signature, it should be noted I have replaced the inner tie rods with stock replacements and as well, I've had the driver's side spindle completely replaced a couple of years ago due to a faulty wheel bearing.

I know what I'm looking at here is just too much Toe In and Total Toe. As well, there's a creaking sound coming from my driver's side suspension. I can reproduce the noise by simply pressing down on the driver's side fender some, however this noise does not occur on the passenger side. The noise in itself, I am entertaining, is still the suspension for sure, but maybe an unrelated issue to the alignment; but I could be wrong.

For reference before my last alignment my car was:

Camber: L was -.6* R was -.8*
Caster: not read
Toe: L was .24* R was .32* <-- this resulted in .55* Total Toe and -.04* Steer Ahead

After Last Alignment was:

Camber: L was -.5* R was -.9*
Toe: L was .10* R was .10* <-- this resulted in .20* Total Toe and no discernible Steer Ahead.

Last edited:

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
Creaking noise could be worn or shot control arm bushing. How new are they? Is it possible they were not the right ones? How soon after the mods did the problem start?Maybe the people you've been taking it to to get it aligned would align it and let you take it for a short drive and re-check it. Without sounding too obvious. . . There is movement somewhere in the suspension that's not supposed to be there and I would start with the squeaking noise.

Last edited:

96svtdriver

Established Member
Creaking noise could be worn or shot control arm bushing. How new are they? Is it possible they were not the right ones? How soon after the mods did the problem start?Maybe the people you've been taking it to to get it aligned would align it and let you take it for a short drive and re-check it. Without sounding too obvious. . . There is movement somewhere in the suspension that's not supposed to be there and I would start with the squeaking noise.

The LCA bushings are the MM urethanes and they're only about a year and a half old. As a matter of fact, save for the lower steering shaft, everything mentioned in my signature that is suspension related is the same age as it was all done at once. It's possible MM screwed up and sent me the wrong ones, but the receipt I had from them mentioned they were specifically for my cobra. I remember reading there's some different type of bushing from the factory in the Cobras versus the GT/V6's.

I agree with the assessment that there's suspension movement that's not supposed to be there. At this point, other than the LCA's themselves and the steering rack, everything's been pretty much replaced up front. I've only been having the trouble for the last three or so months. The front suspension parts that are new have approx. 18-20k miles on them if that helps.

Anymore suggestions on what to check would be greatly appreciated.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Well I would suggest making sure the control arm monting bolts are tight. Mine were slightly loose on one side and when I tightened them all the way my creaking stopped. It has come back the last 2 weeks so I need to recheck them. I actually may have different bushings in mine, but I'm not positive.

Make them do a caster sweep when they do the alignment, this measurement could be off from one side to the other causing a pull. Also, they should make the camber is the same measurement side to side. I read through your mod list and you do you not have caster/camber plates? It seems like you have lots of front end mods, but don't have adjustable plates?

Btw, why did you replace your column shaft? I think I need to replace mine and will be looking into my options over the winter. Any reason why you went with an 03 shaft as oppossed to a MM, or any other one?

96svtdriver

Established Member
Well I would suggest making sure the control arm monting bolts are tight. Mine were slightly loose on one side and when I tightened them all the way my creaking stopped. It has come back the last 2 weeks so I need to recheck them. I actually may have different bushings in mine, but I'm not positive.

Make them do a caster sweep when they do the alignment, this measurement could be off from one side to the other causing a pull. Also, they should make the camber is the same measurement side to side. I read through your mod list and you do you not have caster/camber plates? It seems like you have lots of front end mods, but don't have adjustable plates?

Btw, why did you replace your column shaft? I think I need to replace mine and will be looking into my options over the winter. Any reason why you went with an 03 shaft as oppossed to a MM, or any other one?

I have MM Caster/Camber plates. They're in my sig.:D

96svtdriver

Established Member
Are the jam nuts still on your tie rods after the bumpsteer kit install?

I'm not exactly sure what the jam nuts are on the Steeda bumpsteer OTR's or what they look like.

At this point I'm entertaining anything that could be wrong. It's getting chilly up here in Norfolk. I want to go back to FL where I can work on my car all year around.

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I have MM Caster/Camber plates. They're in my sig.:D

Ahhh yesss "MM Caster-Camber plates" how could I have missed it. :dw: lol

Well get these guys to set caster and camber the same on both sides thennn set the toe. See how it drives afterwards. :thumbsup:

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
I'm not exactly sure what the jam nuts are on the Steeda bumpsteer OTR's or what they look like.

At this point I'm entertaining anything that could be wrong. It's getting shilly up here in Norfolk. I want to go back to FL where I can work on my car all year around.

The jam nuts thread onto the tie rod and then the tie rod end goes on. Once the toe is set the jam nut gets tightened against the tie rod end to lock it in place.

lcarpen_2000

Established Member
This is probably too obvious, but I originally blamed alignment too. I had the same problem. Turns out I had a screw embedded in my right front tire. This created a slow leak and a 10 to 15 lb difference in pressure between the tires. I took it to the alignment shop. They adjusted the alignment, filled the tire and off I went. Thirty minutes later, it was pulling hard left again. After I brought it back and had the tire repaired, it tracks dead straight.

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
To the OP.

I know it did not say in your sig. But do you have offset steering rack bushings? Have read that some people say they can rotate and screw up the alignment?

Have you made any progress? Curious to know what it is.

96svtdriver

Established Member
To the OP.

I know it did not say in your sig. But do you have offset steering rack bushings? Have read that some people say they can rotate and screw up the alignment?

Have you made any progress? Curious to know what it is.

No I have stock bushings, I took a gander at the suspension over the weekend. Seems to me the driver's side steering rack bushing is exceptionally worn, esp due to the oil. Also, it seems the driver's side LCA bushings are both worn more than the opposing side. I checked the nuts on top of the OTR's and each seemed to be in place as they should and not creating excessive movement in the suspension.

Also, something else I discovered and have no idea when it occurred, but it seems my two AC lines (I think that's what they are) are kinda bent upward. I'm referring to the hard lines that get into the way when you're trying to do an oil change and they run from the front to near the steering rack and oil filter.

I ended up purchasing to remedy the suspension:

-MM Steering Rack Bushings, Solid, 1985-04 Mustang with stock k-member
(MMST-7)

-Steeda 2x Balljoints

-03-04 Cobra/Mach 1 LCA's

I'm not sure if I should go with urethane LCA bushings from MM or just leave the stock rubber on the new LCA's in place. Also, I ordered another set of Steeda 2x Balljoints b/c I'm pretty sure the stock balljoint on the new LCA's won't be long enough with my FRPP C-springs and I can't imagine a balljoint being reusable once pressed in.

Any other parts I should get ahold of before I have all this done?:??:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread