Suspension pop when taking off slowly & turning over bumps (including reverse)

DaFreak

Established Member
when I take off or reverse out over bumps at an angle I get a consistent pop. Seems one of the front suspension components bind to cause this. I run frpp suspension with the Maximum Motor Sports strut mounts and can replicate on demand. I've contacted MM on multiple occasions and they pointed to loose or improperly installed mounts and or end links. So I dissassembled both and reinstalled but still have the pop. Let me assure you that its not the torque of the strut mounts or end links as I went after these in great detail. Ideas?

2001Cobrabuddy

Established Member
Rear upper control arm, pull out the rear seat( reach under the seat on opposite ends and press down on the clips) and you should be able to hear it clearly.

barspen

Established Member
Make sure the struts are not leaking\broken. I has similar noises...ended up blowing out the driver side strut.

Other issue could be 'spring slap' - Sound of the springs compressing and metal coil touching. Stock springs have rubber isolators, but some aftermarket ones do not.

Good luck!

Snoopy49

Established Member
I had a similar sound with the original Goodyear's, but it went away when I installed the Michelin's.

DaFreak

Established Member
Make sure the struts are not leaking\broken. I has similar noises...ended up blowing out the driver side strut.

Other issue could be 'spring slap' - Sound of the springs compressing and metal coil touching. Stock springs have rubber isolators, but some aftermarket ones do not.

Good luck!

Will check on the struts. Thanks.

I did add the isolators to the FRPP springs the second time around too, no luck there.

6-Speed

Established Member
I have the same setup on my 2007 and occasionally notice a slight thump sound while pulling out of my driveway over the curb and onto the street. I just ignore it.

Dinosgt

Established Member
Funny, my 13 has a similar problem. Car has low miles on it. Seem to notice it when backing out of driveway on hard left. Also notice it at an angle on large speed bumps. Car seems to drive and handle fine, and when I jack it up, I don't notice any play anywhere...Bolt torque's seem ok too.

I was going to take it in, but not excited about leaving it at a dealer. Might take it to a real suspension guy if I can find a good shop in the area.

IF you figure it out, I will be really interested in what you find.

Best of luck...

Users who are viewing this thread