Suspension on 2013 gt500

zanardi43

Established Member
Van,
I'm in the process of trading my full bolt-on GTR in for a 2013 GT500 and am 100% certain (I do 2-3 HPDE a year, but the biggest reason to change for me would be aesthetics), that I will swap the svtpp shocks out for height-adjustable coil overs. I know from my short time on here that you have a ton of suspension experience on the GT500 platform and was hoping you could tell me if the coil over options available for the 2012 GT500 would fit the 2013? If not, do you anticipate 2013 coil over options to be available soon?

Thanks.

Van@RevanRacing

Van,
I'm in the process of trading my full bolt-on GTR in for a 2013 GT500 and am 100% certain (I do 2-3 HPDE a year, but the biggest reason to change for me would be aesthetics), that I will swap the svtpp shocks out for height-adjustable coil overs. I know from my short time on here that you have a ton of suspension experience on the GT500 platform and was hoping you could tell me if the coil over options available for the 2012 GT500 would fit the 2013? If not, do you anticipate 2013 coil over options to be available soon?

Thanks.

I would not opt for the Electronic Suspension Package if you intend to go with Coilovers because the computer communicates with the suspension system. If you are doing 2-3 HPDE events per year and you get the Electronic Suspension I would stick with it. It is excellent in my opinion and might only require some specific lowering springs for a better CG and cornering.

If you still want to go with Coilovers the ones I have used on customer cars in previous years will work on this car as well.

Van

zanardi43

Established Member
I would not opt for the Electronic Suspension Package if you intend to go with Coilovers because the computer communicates with the suspension system. If you are doing 2-3 HPDE events per year and you get the Electronic Suspension I would stick with it. It is excellent in my opinion and might only require some specific lowering springs for a better CG and cornering.

If you still want to go with Coilovers the ones I have used on customer cars in previous years will work on this car as well.

Van

Thanks for the response Van. I didn't realize the electronic shocks would create a problem with coilovers. I just don't think I'll be pleased with the mild 1-1.5" drop from springs. I had only planned to get the SVTPP for the Torsen Dif., but I guess that's not the best route then. I'm surprised (seeing your extensive mustang suspension background) that you opted for it too? I know you've only had the car a short time, but are you thinking about springs for yours?

Van@RevanRacing

Thanks for the response Van. I didn't realize the electronic shocks would create a problem with coilovers. I just don't think I'll be pleased with the mild 1-1.5" drop from springs. I had only planned to get the SVTPP for the Torsen Dif., but I guess that's not the best route then. I'm surprised (seeing your extensive mustang suspension background) that you opted for it too? I know you've only had the car a short time, but are you thinking about springs for yours?

I'm looking at all of the options and seeing what we come up with. I have a dedicated track car and frankly the SVTPP Pack and Adjustable shocks do a fine job. A little lower with some other bolts on and springs and I think it will be a great ride. But only time will tell.

I can always go to coilovers on the car if I want to but I really needed to see what Ford came up with on this one.

Van@RevanRacing

Looking forward to it Van. I would ove the diff in the SVTPP, so if a spring only does enough drop, id be psyched.

Nothing compares to a Torsen Diff. I run one in my 2007 and it makes a huge difference. Lowering it alone will not provide what the Torsen Diff offers.

aksvt

Established Member
Is there any negitive effect to the car if the shocks were un plugged and removed/replaced with a coil over set up as far as the electronics are concerned?

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Next up I will experiment with various lowering springs so I can best articulate what spring works well or not.

I know the quote is from an old post. What have you found out in this department? Looking for a small drop and mods that will help cornering some but still great for a daily driven car... currently I don't have the bottom part of the splitter on but may get one in the future (mainly for looks if I want it). Not sure if that would change any of your opinions on a daily driven car or not.

Crowley

Van@RevanRacing

I know the quote is from an old post. What have you found out in this department? Looking for a small drop and mods that will help cornering some but still great for a daily driven car... currently I don't have the bottom part of the splitter on but may get one in the future (mainly for looks if I want it). Not sure if that would change any of your opinions on a daily driven car or not.

Crowley

Crowley

it's about a 70/30 split between Ford Racing Springs and Eibach Springs.

The Eibach Springs and Ford Racing Springs lower it just enough to give the car a nice linear rake. Both will lower it enough that if you put the 200 MPH splitter on it will hit a parking curb stop. Both are great for daily driver and when you go to the stiff setting they work and you will notice a difference. It will improve cornering slightly with the lowered CG.

Feel free to give me a call and we can discuss further.

Thanks for the post.

Van
561-445-7702

Users who are viewing this thread