suspension noise is driving me crazy!!!

Kenny04Cobra

Established Member
ok... this is driving me nucking futs..:cuss: Ive got a metal on metal banging sound coming from the front end. its not a break squeal sound, (before you ask). It sounds more like, if u had a empty coke can, put a rock in it.. and shaked it. if i drive slow, it doenst do it... if u go over rough road above like, 15-20 mph.. thats when u hear it. Ive put the car on a lift, and banged on the exhaust and shields, and thats not it. Ive also checked the dust covers on the front brakes... thats not it either. The weird part is this... say your going down a rough road or some rough pavement cracks... like on 40... i hear the noise... now, if i gently step on the brake and put a lil drag on the car... the noise stops. its GOTTA be some kinda suspension part or sumpin.. I was wondering if anybody has had the same problem and what they did to cure it...

Kenny

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Kenny04Cobra said:
ok... this is driving me nucking futs..:cuss: Ive got a metal on metal banging sound coming from the front end. its not a break squeal sound, (before you ask). It sounds more like, if u had a empty coke can, put a rock in it.. and shaked it. if i drive slow, it doenst do it... if u go over rough road above like, 15-20 mph.. thats when u hear it. Ive put the car on a lift, and banged on the exhaust and shields, and thats not it. Ive also checked the dust covers on the front brakes... thats not it either. The weird part is this... say your going down a rough road or some rough pavement cracks... like on 40... i hear the noise... now, if i gently step on the brake and put a lil drag on the car... the noise stops. its GOTTA be some kinda suspension part or sumpin.. I was wondering if anybody has had the same problem and what they did to cure it...

Kenny

You got a screw loose!

Good luck finding it. Start with some sockets and wrenches! ;-)

:coolman: :thumbsup: :beer:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I'll bet you $20 your brake pads are the wrong size or loose somehow. My friend had the exact same problem with his '98 cobra after he bought it. Really bad metal on metal sound whenever he hit a bump, but went away when he hit the brakes. We thought his struts were loose or something, but it turned out his brake pads weren't the right size. He got a different set and the noise went away.

Tip for the future. If you hear a noise and it goes away when you hit the brakes, something is wrong with the brakes. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread