Suspension Mods?

Scott222

Established Member
I have a 96 Cobra Im looking to get into road racing this year an was looking for some thought on what to go with for road racing, Springs and rate shocks and so forth whatever you guys thing would stiffing it up and give me the handling i would need as well as any thing you guys thing it needs to race for the first time road racing im gonna see how much i like it, im gonna try to do it on a budget at first to see how much i wanna get into it, for the most part the car is stock as far as Sus, iknow there is a road race Fourm but i think ill get better insight from this page, looking for a really lower stiff ride it isnt a DD so not to worryed how it rides as long as it is fun on the track.
Thanks.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
If you just want to 'see how you like it', then just take your car as is to the track. People have taken stock suspension Cobras around turns before.

cobra-boss

Established Member
Just because it is low and stiff dose not make it fast around the tack, it may make you slower. Spend your money on seat time befor buying a bunch of parts!!!

Some of the best track days I have had have been with my bone stock cars, 02 Focus,86 BMW and 02 Celica. Chasing down a gutted/caged/ on slicks newer car with my under-powerd 300k mile, all session tire, worn out spring and shocks 86 BMW was GREAT!!!!!

But if you want to spend money get so full length sub frames if you dont have them, good shocks and struts (Koni or Bilsteen) C/C plates, springs (H+R 3/4-1.25 drop) and some rear lower arms with spherical on 1 end (Maximum Motors). This will give you a good foundation.

I see you are in Detroit, where do plan on going, Waterford, Gingerman,Gatton?

Jim

Last edited:

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Cobra-boss is right on the money, only other suggestion I'd give is that you don't go any softer than H&R Race springs. For the most part you can just call Maximum Motorsports, tell them how much you're looking to spend, and they'll set you up with the best parts for what you're looking to do.

The guys over on Corral are super knowledgeable as well... Road Racing/Auto X - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
The best money would be spent on the driver mod. I'd believethat a stock Cobra is capable of going faster than most people can drive it.

If you are going to buy parts for the car then definitely start with full length sub-frame connectors. Springs and shocks next.

Users who are viewing this thread