Suspension Help. PLEASE

ITL Cobra

Established Member
My current set up is H&R Sport Springs with MM Isolators all the way around. I need to get the car lower maybe a ½” to 1” in the rear and maybe a ¼” in the front.

Cobra10.jpg

What is the height difference between stock isolators and MM isolators? What are the negative impact of removing the isolators, and did you put anything like a hose or anything over the spring?

What set up are you running?

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would retain isolators of some kind. They will dampen shock and vibration loads that will get past the springs getting transmitted directly to the chassis structure. Constant vibration is not a healthy thing to subject the sheet metal to.

Can't comment on what Isolators you need level your car.

edit: This would be more of an issue with coilovers where all the mass of the car is on the shock towers. The K-member spring pockets not as much

Last edited:

SpectorV

Established Member
I left out one front isolator in my car no issues at all (rest OEM), no noise, no nothing. The stock isolators are much thinner (about half) but I dont think it will drop you a full inch in the rear using them, but give it a shot as its pretty easy to get the springs out in the rear.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
From what MM says, their polyurethane isolators (when using all of them), will lift you up about 1/2" higher than the rubber ones.

bLk 03 c0uPe

lOw CoBra
Established Member
get rid of those iso's. Go to home depot or your local hardware store and pick up some "rubber tape." It looks exactly like electrical tape except it is way thicker and it does not have a sticky side as does the electrical tape. The rubber tape sticks to itself when you stretch it out and overlay it on it self. Once i took the iso's out i dropped a good 3/4 in the rear and front. Just wrap the first coil of the spring in the tape and take electrical tape and tape the ends up so it will never unravel. I have the H&R Race Springs (red) and there is no difference in ride quality, noise, or vibration from going from the iso's to the rubber tape. If you don't know what the hell im talking about PM me, ill send you pics. Hope this helps.
rockon.gif

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
factory ISO's should do it.

you got any side pics of the car???

ITL Cobra

Established Member
I contacted MM about the iso and they stated that there is really no difference in ride height using the poly iso’s. I need to get this car lower as I hate the current stance.

Here are some side pics (bad pic’s)
Cobra2.jpg

Cobra1-1.jpg

Cobra6.jpg

Cobra4.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
you may search for some pictures of cars with H&R SS's any factory ISO's and i think you will be suprised at the difference. If you don't have any luck, start a thread in the terminator talk section, or pics and vids section (somewhere with more traffic) and I think you can get a good idea of what it will look like!!

your car looks good, and it should look real nice once you take it down a notch.

good luck!

wheelhopper

Established Member
Your car is low. I had the exact same springs at one time and would have to drive around speed bumps. Compare your car with a factory Terminator and you'll see just how low your car is. Also, without cutting or going to coil overs, you are not going to find a spring that lowers your car more than the H&R Sports. Then it is going to have a L.A low rider look, not good IMO. You can safely remove the isolators. My '95R came from Ford without them and there is no suspension noise or squeaks. But I think you will regeret making it any lower. Keep us updated on what you do.

Users who are viewing this thread