Suspected clutch issue

jwcobra03

Established Member
Need your opinion, I was out in the car. I’ve been suspecting a possible clutch slip situation. Never smelling burnt clutch or anything. I decided to put it in 4th and go wot to see if rpms would spike. They didn’t but after trying that twice, the car was hard to get in and out of gear. Has to be the clutch correct? It’s a RXT with about 30k miles on it. Should I try loosening the cable for it disengage?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
Sounds like a cable issue to me. Are you running headers? I used to have an issue in my 01 when I was stuck in traffic it would get hard to get into gear. Once I started moving and the cable cooled down all was good again. I ended up running some heat covering on the cable and it helped.

You'd want to tighten the cable to help with getting into gear.

04oxfordvert

Established Member
had exact problem in my car couple years back. cable sheething was twisted and when it got warm would not fully disenguage clutch. id change your cable. factory ford piece. do yourself a favor and when you install it lubricate it with some oil. takes awhile to get all the way thru. but worth your time!

hotcobra03

Established Member
had exact problem in my car couple years back. cable sheething was twisted and when it got warm would not fully disenguage clutch. id change your cable. factory ford piece. do yourself a favor and when you install it lubricate it with some oil. takes awhile to get all the way thru. but worth your time!
this.

oil cable. this burned me.

i replaced cable and still had problems
replaced clutch and still had problems.

oiled cable. its been so nice since.

jwcobra03

Established Member
Thanks for the replies fellas. I ordered a new cable. Adjusted mine in the meantime and seems to be doing better. Think the cable is the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread