Surround speakers from desktop to laptop=compatible?

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
For any resident svtp audio people...I've got a Bouston Acoustics 5.1 surround system from my old desktop that I'd like to plug into the new laptop, (HP, more info can be added if needed) but I'm not sure the hookups are going to work. The surround has a main control that has volume, sub, center, and surround...with an cable that leads to the sub, and then 4 (black, green, pink, and orange) cables that went to the sound card on the desktop. I've only got 3 inputs on the front of the laptop, one for mic, one for speakers/headphone, and one for something else...SPDIF it says? Is there a way I can make these speakers work with my laptop or is the soundcard not compatible? If I plug just the green in will it work? Is there a cable I can get to adapt all four connections into the one output? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

5.0 Ford Power

*derp*
Established Member
If you plug the green then yes, it will work. If your surround sound has a spdif input you should use that instead.

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
What do I do with the rest of the wires? wtf are they for? What color connection would the spdif cable be?? Is it any of the 4 I mentioned?

5.0 Ford Power

*derp*
Established Member
spdif would be either a coax or optical input on your surround sound controller. colors vary on that. the black green pink and orange are for a analog connection. IIRC green is just 2ch stereo, black is for your sub, orange is for center, and the others are for surround. Hope this helps.

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
So what you're saying is I'd need a sound card other than what's in my laptop to make it work?

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
Hmm...not all speakers work, which is what I expected. Looks like I'll be ordering a USB 5.1 card

Would you recommend one with digital sound playback?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread