Surround Sound Receiver Experts (Please Read)

StangJason

Established Member
I'm a bit new to the surround sound receiver game but I am starting to get interested in a new one especially now that I've heard of ones that may be able to upconvert my Direct TV signal to 1080i. So is it true can all of my Direct TV signals be upconverted to 1080i or am I miss understanding what I've been reading about these new receivers?

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a good receiver that does that?

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
Unfortunately, it will not be a native 1080i signal. When you upconvert you are simply zooming in on the pixels and stretching this across 1080 lines. When doing this this it is common to throw artifacts in there to artificially enhace the picture. I know Sony, Denon, Harmon kardon have jumped on the upconversion bandwaggon. Keep in mind just because you have a digital signal-- and you have a upconvert receiver--- it will NOT be high definition. This is a process where the pricing on receiver ultimately dictates on how well the upconversion process works. I'd suggest a Denon receiver if you have good speakers. Anyway thats my .02 cents.

StangJason

Established Member
image said:
Unfortunately, it will not be a native 1080i signal. When you upconvert you are simply zooming in on the pixels and stretching this across 1080 lines. When doing this this it is common to throw artifacts in there to artificially enhace the picture. I know Sony, Denon, Harmon kardon have jumped on the upconversion bandwaggon. Keep in mind just because you have a digital signal-- and you have a upconvert receiver--- it will NOT be high definition. This is a process where the pricing on receiver ultimately dictates on how well the upconversion process works. I'd suggest a Denon receiver if you have good speakers. Anyway thats my .02 cents.

I have descent speakers some Polk R300s for the front left/right channels and a Polk CSR for the center channel Gave $30 a piece at HHGREGG for the R300s and $79.99 for the Center Channel. Right now I have old JVC speakers from an old HTIB running the rear channels but I plan to get gets some Polk R150s for the rear $50 a pair.

I guess you can tell I'm budget minded so a budget receiver is my plan. I've been considering the Onkyo TX-SR674 for a while now but realized just recently it only upconverted 480i to 480p err maybe it was the 675 but in any case I'd make sure before purchase.

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
What size screen does your TV have? Upconverting won't make much of a visual difference unless you've got a pretty big screen.

U.M.

StangJason

Established Member
Uncle Meat said:
What size screen does your TV have? Upconverting won't make much of a visual difference unless you've got a pretty big screen.

U.M.

It's a 50" Panasonic..guess you could say we blew the budget on it.

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
Onkyo is a good brand. I think you will be satisfied with it. Im impressed with Panasonics this year. Im glad they switched back to black, the Panasonic rep informed me that they did a bunch of stuff this year that severely improved the picture. For the most part i think it almost looks better than the samsung panels! lol

StangJason

Established Member
image said:
Onkyo is a good brand. I think you will be satisfied with it. Im impressed with Panasonics this year. Im glad they switched back to black, the Panasonic rep informed me that they did a bunch of stuff this year that severely improved the picture. For the most part i think it almost looks better than the samsung panels! lol

I guess I have last years Panasonic Plasma TV but even then I prefered the Panasonic over the Samsung as far as detail. The Samsung had a way of looking to perfect in a cartoon like way with a touch less detail though I could have bought either one and been happy.

Users who are viewing this thread