Surprising intake results

Brickell gt500

Established Member
I recently modified my car with a tune, x pipe, pulley, vmp tb, and carbon fiber intake tube. The car made 700/700. This was with the basic carbon fiber tube. The one that doesn't require a tune. I am mentioning this specific one to all the guys thinking of taking the plunge to modify. I originally wanted to keep the warranty but wanted a bit more sound from the supercharger. I couldn't resist to bolt on some extra hp. For curiosity sake I put on a bigger intake and it yielded no difference. That's right zero, zilch, nada. I didn't gain 1 hp on a dyno from the carbon fiber tube to the bigger intake unit.

I just wanted to pass this tip on for guys who don't want to be redundant and spend a extra $400 on a intake that they might already have. I also used a air aide blue filter. Hope that helps

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
are you using the frpp resonator delete? or did you leave the factory on?

i've talked to several people and tuners... all of them say the resonator delete is the way to go if you don't wanna dump a ton of $. i think i paid around $55 with a coupon for mine. you only gain a few HP from the res delete to the name brands from what my guys have told me.

$350 for 5 +/- hp isn't worth it in my opinion...

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
actually to be fair... the cost of the res delete AND the airraid filter is $100

still couple hundred bucks more to go w/ name brand setup for a few hp more...

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
What specific one did you try and found no difference?
I agree these are pretty good from the factory.
-J

Brickell gt500

Established Member
JLT Plastic Big Air Intake. I was very surprised with the results. The carbon fiber replacement tube does a fantastic job.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We did this testing when we first picked up the 2013 GT500. With just bolt on's, there is not much difference between the stock set-up and an aftermarket unit. If you plan on an upper/lower combo with the rest of the bolt on's and such, you will see a better gain, and even more so with aftermarket blowers.

On our car, with an FRPP throttle body, exhaust and the tune, we only made 5 more HP with the intake over stock. The resonator delete won't do anything for power either, it's for looks/sound. Most go with the bigger intakes for future plans in my experience and for looks.

Users who are viewing this thread