Surging/surges/bucks ..

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
SNK-BIT said:
Do you or can you have the car scanned for any codes now that you have the A9L? I'm really interested on this as i've asked about converting over and did not receive an answer. .

With all the EEC tuning stuff that is out there now, there is really no need to swap over to a A9L.

But to answer your question, yes the scanner works the same if you use the A9L or the X3Z

SNK-BIT

It's Real..Coletti Signed
Established Member
93Cobra#2771 said:
They make the PP longer to fit ALL intakes, I had to trim about 1" off mine on the throttle body side to fit my car.

You are leaving HP on the table with the rich a/f and the stock X3Z timing tables, no doubt.

I have the 3.5" PP, and I had to squeeze the coupler down to fit my stock throttle body as well. There are companies out there that make couplers with reducer ends if you get desparate. I went with the 3.5" simply so I didn't have to make the hole any bigger.

My bad on not knowing it should be trimmed down.. Nowhere on the directions did it say I needed to do this. My BBK cold air kit was made for the Cobra and bolted on with no mods to it or the car. I understood I would have to open up the hole closest to the shock tower to 4.25 inch. I'm also a bit leery of cutting on it because if it was/is the wrong part it could not be sent back. I will take another look at it but am pretty sure of what I seen the first time. After mating it to the throttle body, it will extend "past" the hole I’m supposed to cut in the car and there is no way (short of cutting and rewelding the pipe) to make that work. I did not know there was a 3.5 inch power pipe. I thought my options for the PMAS was this "Cold Air Power Pipe" or an underhood "Shorty" kit. I'll probably send this 4" back anyway as I would rather not "cut" on the car.

Agreed..any WAG (wild ass guesses) on how much? Not that it matters but being a "first" for me I would like to know. Any suggestion on tuning tools..ie Tweecer, Megasquirt, or let the tuner burn a SCT chip etc?

Thanks

SNK-BIT

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
With all the EEC tuning stuff that is out there now, there is really no need to swap over to a A9L.

But to answer your question, yes the scanner works the same if you use the A9L or the X3Z

Thanks for the info..as I've already had the maf cal'd to the stock X3Z computer (their recommendation) I'll not be swapping to the A9L. What do u recommend for tuning tools? I know someone will disagree with your recommendation but I would like to get a feel for what most like and are using. Looks like I'll be in the market for something.

Lee..not to sound crass but I know I can "scan" both computers for codes, but want I wanted to do is a "DCL" data stream (actually read sensors in real time) which is not supported in the Cobra computer. The "protocols" were never added from the factory to do this. I'm pretty sure they were in the A9L but don't know if they would still be available if I installed the A9L in the Cobra. Does this make any sense?:rollseyes . This would have been REALLY helpful when trying to fix the idle/surge/buck etc problem.

Thanks

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I'm not sure what you mean about not being able to scan the data stream - NO WAY would Ford have released the car and not have a way for the techs to see what's up.

Not sure if they still do the 3.5" PP, but it wouldn't hurt to call them and check.

The tweecer R/T will datalog it, I've done it many times. :)

PJM99

Established Member
had similiar issue on my car which is stock. I cleaned up the MAF and it helped a lot. Still does it when its cold though.

SNK-BIT

Established Member
93Cobra#2771 said:
I'm not sure what you mean about not being able to scan the data stream - NO WAY would Ford have released the car and not have a way for the techs to see what's up.

Not sure if they still do the 3.5" PP, but it wouldn't hurt to call them and check.

The tweecer R/T will datalog it, I've done it many times. :)

What I wanted was to be able to read for instance, the actual TPS voltage, 02 sensor voltage, IAT sensor temp, etc, etc while the car was running or not. You are correct about the "techs" being able to do this with their "Rotunda Star Tester". I have tried this with an Auto X-ray, Snap-On and OTC scan tool and none will let you do a "real time" read. I was told by the manufacturer of these scanners that Ford did not add the "protocols" for the aftermarket scanners to read. Take it to the dealer and pay their labor rate to scan it. Hence I was asking about the A9L conversion, not so much as seeking more power but to have access to this data as I know at least the Auto X-ray can read it. This would have helped t/s the surge/buck etc problem instead of manually reading everything.

I'll be calling them today about the p/p. It looks like they still sell them on their website. Hopefully I can swap them out.

I've heard of the TwEECer. Pretty expensive if I recall and my pockets prolly aren't that deep. Do you have a p/n for the RT model or are they all the same. I assume I would need this or something like this for a dyno tuner to be able to "do" anything to the car correct? I'll do some searching. Thanks for your time.

SNK-BIT

Established Member
PJM99 said:
had similiar issue on my car which is stock. I cleaned up the MAF and it helped a lot. Still does it when its cold though.

Your right about cleaning the maf as I found when I cleaned and oiled my K&N filter. I didn't let it dry (in a hurry) and it started running like crap. Some brake clean and a reset set things right. That was quite a long time ago and I learn relatively :D quick. Thanks for the tip though. I've pretty much covered all the usual (see all my earlier posts) things and some you folks have brought up. Sometimes it's a combination of things or "usually" something overlooked so I appreciate any and all help.

Users who are viewing this thread