Surge at half throttle.

Bllit11

Established Member
had the car out today 60 mph in 4th gear rolled into it up to 80 mph about half throttle had a couple of surges like a miss did it a couple of times seemed right around 2700 rpm no cel stopped and went wot and it ran flawless any ideas?

ArabianOak

Established Member
Hmmm. If stock maybe check plug gap. Lots of guys saying there's were way off from factory. Otherwise take to dealer.

paluka21

Established Member
had the car out today 60 mph in 4th gear rolled into it up to 80 mph about half throttle had a couple of surges like a miss did it a couple of times seemed right around 2700 rpm no cel stopped and went wot and it ran flawless any ideas?

Mine also seems to have a little bit of very light surging, but only under light throttle when cruising. As Arabian and I have mentioned, I'm attributing it to inconsistent plug gaps as others have experienced. If it gets worse, unfortunately I'll have to take mine into the dealer as well. That will probably mean they will want to drive it around to see what it feels like, but its the only way they can really gain an understanding of it.

Bllit11

Established Member
thanks ashley ya it has done it before i thought maybe it was some bad gas but i've been driving it and noticed it again went to talk to the service manager and he won't be in till later. Anyway i had heard about some of the plug issues thats why i ordered a set from ford. I just bought a new platinum ecoboost i heard they are picky on plugs to. I wonder why it doesn't trip the cel?

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
When my car was stock it would do that every once in awhile, it's almost like the car has to much load.

Bllit11

Established Member
well went by the dealer and went for a ride had the service manager with me and his computer number 7 was misfiring but not enough for a cel its going in friday he said ford would only do one plug thats bs.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Just a heads up if anyone else expierienced wavy throttle or fluctuating boost under part spirited throttle. ...the ram air tube causes major turbulence to the filter and after 60 mph or so you will get that surging feeling....ask me how I know...lol. removed ram air tube...completely gone.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Just a heads up if anyone else expierienced wavy throttle or fluctuating boost under part spirited throttle. ...the ram air tube causes major turbulence to the filter and after 60 mph or so you will get that surging feeling....ask me how I know...lol. removed ram air tube...completely gone.
When you pulled the tube out did you notice any lose In power at wot?

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Really, hmmm I may take mine out tonight and go for a drive

Report back...I bet its likely your issue. having the air on only one small section of the filter causes turbulence especially because of the orientation of our MAF sensors. The GM guys had a lid and a enclosure that was sealed ours is just a duct basically so its not distributing the air equally over the filter like a sealed enclosure would...hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread