Supra or Cobra

2000wrx

Established Member
Okay first off all the hate on anything not Cobra people please push that lil back button in the upper left corner.

I am going to be buying a big power rwd car in the next few years, I have extimated a budget of under 25K.

The 03/04 Cobra is at the top of my list as it meets many of my needs. I want huge power potentional, RWD, 4 seats... simple right.

However there is another car that fits this very well, that being the Supra, it has all of the same criteria that I am looking for also.

So being as non-bias as you can please give some input. Please don't comment on the looks of the cars as that is very much up to the individual, and I for one think that they are both nice looking cars, with the Supra on top IMO.

So bang for the buck, mod for mod, and such please give some opinions. I assume most here will have me picking the Cobra, but please elaborate as to why...

Thanks all,

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
1st question you need to ask yourself. Do you want a 10-12 year old car, or a new car?

2nd question: Should something break which has more readily availble parts and there expense?

3rd question: If you're paying cash not a problem, but I would think it difficult to get financing on a ten year old car with any length of term and decent rates involved.

Just my 2 cents.:shrug:

2000wrx

Established Member
Don't care about age really... its the condition of the car. I understand that the older and turbocharged aspect might lend to some part replacement issues.

Number 2 is an area of concern, and I will have to reseach with current and past Supra owners. I have had very positive feed back from Supra owners as far as cost of ownership though.

Third, this could be an issue, I will most likey put down half or more, so financing an older Supra would get a lil more involved, or creative :)

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Just trying to help. Supras are very cool, but the Cobra is brand new and probably close to the same dollars especially if the Supra is in good shape with lower miles.

2000wrx

Established Member
yea I think that I am going to stick with what I first thought.... Cobra... it just makes more sense. Easier to buy, newer, cheaper to mod, better low end drivability...

Have to stick with the Cobra I think...

96SVT_2_NV

Established Member
i agree with everyone else, a 03/04 Cobra for $25K will have 10-20K miles on it, youd have to find a 93-94 Supra with 80-100K miles to get it for $25K, its a beautiful car, one of my friends just got a single turbo for his 98, CF hood, painted it yellow :rollseyes , bunch of other mods, and he got it all for free cuz his brother bought a 01 Viper and GAVE it to him

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Originally posted by 2000wrx
yea I think that I am going to stick with what I first thought.... Cobra... it just makes more sense. Easier to buy, newer, cheaper to mod, better low end drivability...

Have to stick with the Cobra I think...

Either car would be nice, just think the ownership expierience would be easier with a new car.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
If you're looking for big power you of course can't beat a foxbody for the price, weight, a dependability but of course, a fox might not be your cup of tea which is cool.

The cobra would be a better choice in my opinion. Factory turbo imports just don't seem to be all that reliable. My friend bought a eclipse GSX about a month ago and has already had to replace a lot of suspension parts and his entire cooling system.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

MikeDoom

Dedicated Gamer
Established Member
I shall cover a few ideas:

1. Cobra is faster stock for stock.
2. Different power delivery. Cobra s/c will put you in seat
immediately. Supra has to wait for turbo to spool but has
higher top end.
3. You can find a low mileage cobra easily. Not so easily with a
supra. If you do find low a mileage supra, be prepared to pay
more than you're expecting for it.
4. This is subjective, but I think the cobra looks way better.
5. Cobra has a nicer interior, as well as a nicer factory sound
system.
6. I'm not sure about insurance rates for a supra, so I'd check
and compare them if I were you.
7. They can BOTH be monsters with relatively few mods, but I
think the cobra may be a little cheaper to mod. Most of the
big power supras seem to rely on a swap to a big single turbo
instead of the factory twins. I doubt that's cheap. I'm
pretty sure cobra's can hit 10's with the stock blower if you
are willing to take the chance.
8. If all else fails, find a way to test drive each. That could be
the deciding factor. They are pretty similar cars overall, they
just take different approaches to making big power. Both are
nice cars. Good luck

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
The first thing that would concern me is which car has a V8 engine under the hood. That would be it for me since they're both RWD cars. But then again having a Subaru, i guess that wouldn't concern you. but as for me, I'd rather hear the powerful growl of a V8 engine than the wimpy weedwacker sound of a 6 or 4 banger.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I'd get a Cobra due to it's ability to put down huge hp #s w/ relatively little $$. I think both are great looking cars (as long as you don't wander in the land of the rice), but the Cobra offers more recent and less expensive options.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Check the insurance values of both, meaning what's the actual covered value?

Will the insurance company cover the inflated market value on the Supra if it is totalled or stolen?

2000wrx

Established Member
thanks all for the opinions.

I know that a nice Subra right now goes for 35K maybe a lil less. The mod cost can get high when comparing to a Cobra, a single turbo set up may cost over 10K for "big" power.

I had a FOX, loved... I mean LOVED!! the sound... was a solid mid to low 12's car. But I dont want another FOX.... I like the idea of a mod motor'd factory S/C'd car.

I want a mid to high 10 second car, I would assume a mild diet on the Cobra, why oh why do they have to be such pigs. (subaru is 2700lbs 300ish CHP) My fos was 2900lbs with H/C/I made for fun.

I do agree that the Cobra is the way I will go, wife says its better too.... :) I just love the turbo whoooosh sound... hmmmm turbo 03/04.... wheels turning... :D

Y2KSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by BillyGman
The first thing that would concern me is which car has a V8 engine under the hood.

Let me guess, you were born before 1965? Blah blah blah V8 Blah blah blah.. This is old man talk!! :burn:

I'd rather hear the powerful growl of a V8 engine than the wimpy weedwacker sound of a 6 or 4 banger. [/B]

I'd love to see how well your foot fits in your mouth after you heard my "wimpy weedwacker V6" or even a 4 cylinder WRX with exhaust.. :rollseyes

Mark

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Originally posted by Y2KSVT
Let me guess, you were born before 1965? Blah blah blah V8 Blah blah blah.. This is old man talk!! :burn:

I'd love to see how well your foot fits in your mouth after you heard my "wimpy weedwacker V6" or even a 4 cylinder WRX with exhaust.. :rollseyes

Mark

I'm sure you'd love to hear that blower whining like crazy under his marauder hood too. :rollseyes

But as for sound, I guess Billy has never heard a real powerful supra. Very deep tone. Not as good as a V-8 with cam(or cams in this case) but not your average fart sound.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
I'm sure you'd love to hear that blower whining like crazy under his marauder hood too. :rollseyes

But as for sound, I guess Billy has never heard a real powerful supra. Very deep tone. Not as good as a V-8 with cam(or cams in this case) but not your average fart sound.

You bet. Actually I think the 03 Cobra sounds 2 step[s away from a UPS truck for some reason, probably a combination of exhaust tuning and compression ratio (or lack thereof).

I prefer the exhaust tone of a Supra...or any high-revving I-6. They're half a V-12 you know...built Supras just sound plain awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread