Supporting mods when going F/I(2001 Cobra)?

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
So I was thinking about going F/I in the near future and was wondering what supporting mods are necessary when doing so with a 2001 Cobra, all I can think of are fuel pump, MAF, injectors and tune. Am I missing anything? A guy on here is selling a Vortech T trim and I'm considering picking it up. And I realize my 4.56's are gonna have to go to 3.73's most likely as well.

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's pretty much it. For a low boost set up. But even at low boost I'd start saving for a short block. I can't comment on the gears. I had 3.27's forever.

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
That's pretty much it. For a low boost set up. But even at low boost I'd start saving for a short block. I can't comment on the gears. I had 3.27's forever.

Lol thanks Bob, I didn't want to keep bugging you with the ins and outs through PM. Yeah as much fun as these 4.56's are N/A, with my heavy foot, they are not fuel friendly. So I'm gonna be looking at roughly 900$ with supporting mods as well, does that sound about right?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Lol thanks Bob, I didn't want to keep bugging you with the ins and outs through PM. Yeah as much fun as these 4.56's are N/A, with my heavy foot, they are not fuel friendly. So I'm gonna be looking at roughly 900$ with supporting mods as well, does that sound about right?

No worries. I've been playing with blowers for a few years now. The final numbers will depend on how good you are at bargain hunting. And how much your tuner costs. I think the 4.56's would be a spin fest even with drag radials.

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
No worries. I've been playing with blowers for a few years now. The final numbers will depend on how good you are at bargain hunting. And how much your tuner costs. I think the 4.56's would be a spin fest even with drag radials.

Yeah I would imagine I would spin even with square tires lol. I think i would take the car to JBA, they tuned it last with the original owner and built the block up to where it is now. I guess I could be patient and look for parts on the cheap as well.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'll give you my thoughts on JBA if you end up buying the blower. 60lb injectors pop up all the time it seems. Do you have the stock tank still?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Not really. And it's due to experiences of friends of mine. I've never taken my car there.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Are you buying just the blower or is it a package with bracket, coolant crossover, discharge pipe, intake pipe, couplers, bypass/blow-off valve and all pulleys and hardware included?

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I would budget more than $900 for everything. A decent dyno tune, even if its just a canned one that needs dialed in for your car, is probably going to run $3-400 plus a handheld.

Youll definetly want 3.73s. You're 4.56 are extremely steep and you'll be pegged in no time. Even 4.10s are arguably steep for a blown car for just street use.

I agree...start saving for forged internals. Personally, despite what others may say, I think detonation is more "when it will happen" and not so much "if it will happen". A conservative tune is key, but have fuel issues, pump issues, no baffled tank, etc and its hard to guarantee never having a piston pop.
Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
I would budget more than $900 for everything. A decent dyno tune, even if its just a canned one that needs dialed in for your car, is probably going to run $3-400 plus a handheld.

Youll definetly want 3.73s. You're 4.56 are extremely steep and you'll be pegged in no time. Even 4.10s are arguably steep for a blown car for just street use.

I agree...start saving for forged internals. Personally, despite what others may say, I think detonation is more "when it will happen" and not so much "if it will happen". A conservative tune is key, but have fuel issues, pump issues, no baffled tank, etc and its hard to guarantee never having a piston pop.
Posted via Topify on Android

Engine is already forged with I Beams and flat tops, i agree with the gears and I have a nice SCT Handheld as well.

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
Well now knowing the bottom end is built and going back to your original post, how much boost do you plan on running?

Honestly I hadn't thought much about it till you asked, I will be DD the car since I am selling my truck soon so I want something with a safe tune which I guess really depends on the quality of the tune. Considering I'm still on the stock block which would be the WAP, I want to keep it somewhat conservative. I guess I will cross that bridge with whoever tunes my car.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
You'll for sure need less gear. I have 4.30's with an Eaton at stock boost (440 rwhp) and hit my rev-limiter in 4th before the end of the quarter. I trapped 117.50 on all 4 of passes sitting on the limiter.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
Honestly I hadn't thought much about it till you asked, I will be DD the car since I am selling my truck soon so I want something with a safe tune which I guess really depends on the quality of the tune. Considering I'm still on the stock block which would be the WAP, I want to keep it somewhat conservative. I guess I will cross that bridge with whoever tunes my car.

The block won't hold you back. But you need to think about this goal before your tune because you're supporting mods will depend on it. When I ran 8 psi I had a focus pump with bap. Now I have a whole new setup with 18 psi, larger injectors, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread