Superformance cobra

Ryan427

Established Member
Well I'm in the process of moving to Texas because I recently got hired at a job the almost triples my salary. Anyways I'm looking at finally getting the dream car. I was wanting some input from you guys. Has anybody done anything with superformance? I think that's who I want to go with because they are certified by Carroll Shelby. I think I'm going to go with a genesis 427 fe big block. Would like to hear some thoughts

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I have seen one Superformance Cobra. It was ok. I have seen five Factory Five Cobras, and they were all built by their owners and they were all awesome. I have seen one Factory Five Type 65 Coupe, and it was amazing.

You know how Superformance got Shelby's sign-off? They settled with him out of court when he sued them. Then they agreed to give him a royalty for each one they sold. That was it. Shelby sued everyone who was making a replica Cobra. Factory Five was the only outfit that told him to go piss up a rope. They just change the name of their car, it's now called the Mk 4 Roadster.

They also have at least two cars that are their own original design.

https://www.factoryfive.com/

Well I'm in the process of moving to Texas because I recently got hired at a job the almost triples my salary. Anyways I'm looking at finally getting the dream car. I was wanting some input from you guys. Has anybody done anything with superformance? I think that's who I want to go with because they are certified by Carroll Shelby. I think I'm going to go with a genesis 427 fe big block. Would like to hear some thoughts

heypal

What? Where am I?
Established Member
I have seen one Superformance Cobra. It was ok. I have seen five Factory Five Cobras, and they were all built by their owners and they were all awesome. I have seen one Factory Five Type 65 Coupe, and it was amazing.

You know how Superformance got Shelby's sign-off? They settled with him out of court when he sued them. Then they agreed to give him a royalty for each one they sold. That was it. Shelby sued everyone who was making a replica Cobra. Factory Five was the only outfit that told him to go piss up a rope. They just change the name of their car, it's now called the Mk 4 Roadster.

They also have at least two cars that are their own original design.

https://www.factoryfive.com/

And that's why he's James Snover the all knowing one. Everything he said is true and factory 5 is the way to go man I've seen both next to each other and the factory five is just nicer. Although I wouldn't mind having a superformance gt40 :rockon::burnout:

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Several people have done exactly that! There was a guy who used to be on SVTP named Sergio, I think. He put up all kinds of pics of his build. But even the builds with the normally-aspirated DOHC 4.6 look awesome.

would love to do a Mk4 roadster with a terminator drivetrain mmmm

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the kind words. I was this close to writing a check for the Type 65 Coupe kit, but some family stuff popped up, and you know how it goes. If I ever get the family issues resolved, I'm building a coupe.

originally I wanted to build a Mk 4, but when I got to see them in real life I was confronted with an unavoidable fact: there is no way I would be able to wedge my fat ass into those narrow seats.

And that's why he's James Snover the all knowing one. Everything he said is true and factory 5 is the way to go man I've seen both next to each other and the factory five is just nicer. Although I wouldn't mind having a superformance gt40 :rockon::burnout:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I'll second the Factory Five cars. Get a kit and build it how you want it! Myself, like James, I'm going for a Type 65 when I finish up my current project.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
i drove a FF 65 Roadster that a neighbor built, it was a Carbed 347 and a T5. So much fun and you can customize it any way you like. The fiberglass is seriously well finished compared to other kit cars that i have seen. They get looks everywhere you drive. People always want to take pictures of the car or ask about it. IIRC, it cost him north of $40k once complete which included a donor 92 mustang hatchback. Totally worth it.

Only gripe was the room inside, bigger guys will have to suck it in to get comfortable. Im 5'10" and weigh in the 230 range with a good beer gut, so take that into consideration.
Also trying to find a driveshaft company to make a driveshaft was a pain. He settled on A1 driveshaft in Greenbelt to get it done and they did a pretty good job.

Ryan427

Established Member
What was the noticeable differences in the two? I have seen both and couldn't honestly tell the difference but no expert by any means

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Possibly the only thing the SP has over the Factory Five is the fit and finish. The quality from what I heard is better and interior as well, side windows also open.

The Factor Five though looks to be the funner car, a lot lighter and a much better track car. Even though SP is more exclusive, they are all identical, the FFR is more of a 1 of 1 type of car. I would also go with the FFR.

Ryan427

Established Member
I haven't look and I probably should have before asking but I'm being lazy. Does factory five make a roller option or can you only get and not put together one?

Ryan427

Established Member
I saw on there website that they have a 3 day put together class. I think that would be awesome to attend

heypal

What? Where am I?
Established Member
Thanks for the kind words. I was this close to writing a check for the Type 65 Coupe kit, but some family stuff popped up, and you know how it goes. If I ever get the family issues resolved, I'm building a coupe.

originally I wanted to build a Mk 4, but when I got to see them in real life I was confronted with an unavoidable fact: there is no way I would be able to wedge my fat ass into those narrow seats.

I speak the truth :beer: and trust me I hear you loud and clear about everything else you just said lol. :rockon:

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Factory Five

/Thread

This... My dad and I have two Factory Fives and they are rock solid. We built 1/2 of one and bought another. Blue one we bought from a guy in CT it has a 302. Orange one is the one we got from FF as a complete kit. We put suspension and sheetmetal/interior but didn't feel comfortable doing plumbing stuff and we kinda ran out of time. We built a 427 for it that was out of a boat and ended up spinning bearings two different times so we went with the Robert Pond Aluminum 427 mated to a C3 with a gear vendor so it's essentially a 6 speed auto... It's more fun to drive than the manual trans for sure.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Ryan427

Established Member
God I love those cars small rise happens in my pants just looking at one. Ha I'm going to have mine gaurdsman blue with white stripes and the two rookie stripes over the drivers front fender. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for the completed car? You can pm me if you don't want to tell everybody

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
keep in mind, this is strictly my opinion, take it for what it is worth:

The Superformance's come with a lot of the work of the build already done. Their level of fit and finish and quality is very good. Any one Superformance is probably just as good as any other Superformance.

The factory Fives that I have seen were awesomely made cars, their owners sweated over every last detail of their build and each owner made their car uniquely their own. Every Factory Five car is unique.

What was the noticeable differences in the two? I have seen both and couldn't honestly tell the difference but no expert by any means

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Great looking cars! I love that orange, ever thought of putting a pair of white stripes over it?

This... My dad and I have two Factory Fives and they are rock solid. We built 1/2 of one and bought another. Blue one we bought from a guy in CT it has a 302. Orange one is the one we got from FF as a complete kit. We put suspension and sheetmetal/interior but didn't feel comfortable doing plumbing stuff and we kinda ran out of time. We built a 427 for it that was out of a boat and ended up spinning bearings two different times so we went with the Robert Pond Aluminum 427 mated to a C3 with a gear vendor so it's essentially a 6 speed auto... It's more fun to drive than the manual trans for sure.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Users who are viewing this thread