Superduty 6.4 TD fuel mileage.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I just bought a 2008 F250 6.4 TD, 4x4 crew cab. I think it weighs 8k pounds. I've searched a little on this engine. I think I will need to do a few things to get a few more miles out of a tank of fuel.

I'm looking at the Banks CAI and a tuner. I don't want anymore power, just mileage.

Anybody own this rig with any advise?

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I had a 08 250 (crew cab 4x4). Put about 118k on it with minimal problems...

Have they replaced the radiator on it? The 08's had a issue with radiators leaking and many were replaced under warranty/tsb...Something to look out for...I had one radiator replaced...

Mine stock got about 15mpg highway. I didn't mod it but did put a set of 35" terra grapplers on it and mileage promptly went down to 11-12mpg highway...

i would strongly suggest the DPF delete and the tuners mentioned above. Lots of people like the mini-max...I personally think the whole process behind how they dump in raw fuel on the exhaust stroke for regens is just a piss-poor idea...

Something else to watch out for is keep track of the distance between regens. I think normal is somewhere in the 200 mile range although i see some people claim what i always thought were some crazy numbers between regens (600+ miles)...personally i think they just got busy and missed the indicator...it's easy to do...(this is prior to doing a DPF delete of course)

Supposedly lower intervals between regens can be a indicator of problems as well (bad injector, etc.)

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member

Have they replaced the radiator on it? The 08's had a issue with radiators leaking and many were replaced under warranty/tsb...Something to look out for...I had one radiator replaced...

Mine stock got about 15mpg highway. I didn't mod it but did put a set of 35" terra grapplers on it and mileage promptly went down to 11-12mpg highway...

i would strongly suggest the DPF delete and the tuners mentioned above. Lots of people like the mini-max...I personally think the whole process behind how they dump in raw fuel on the exhaust stroke for regens is just a piss-poor idea...

Something else to watch out for is keep track of the distance between regens. I think normal is somewhere in the 200 mile range although i see some people claim what i always thought were some crazy numbers between regens (600+ miles)...personally i think they just got busy and missed the indicator...it's easy to do...(this is prior to doing a DPF delete of course)

Supposedly lower intervals between regens can be a indicator of problems as well (bad injector, etc.)

I had a F450 in the shop a while back that would go through regen every thirty miles. It had an injector that was overfueling, truck ran great and did not misfire at all. I had to look at the short term fuel trims and found an injector overfueling.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
some sensor on my went bad one time and the truck stayed in regen until i could get to the dealer...

I had all of my injectors replaced at about 100k miles (due to wife filling truck up with e85 and driving it quite a ways before it occurred to her that it running as rough as it was probably wasn't normal....no light ever came on though)....and after that the truck picked up a solid 1-2mpg which led me to believe I probably had a bad injector for some time too....Never could have told based on how it ran though...Never misfired, struggled under load, etc....My regens were always in the 130-150 mile range...

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I wouldn;t have gotten rid of it had I still had a use for it...As it played out the thing became a gas hog of a daily driver and a 2011 GT500 made for such a better option for cummuting...:)

Jack Burton

Established Member
I'd get either a spartan or mini-max tuner, egr delete, dpf delete, and a free flowing exhaust. Granted, there will be more power, but that's just going to be a added bonus that is going to come with the increased mileage.

tuner, intake, full exhaust, and egr delete was the best mods I ever did to my 05 duramax. Ran like a champ and got great mileage.

crankin

Established Member
My pop's has an 08 tand he did the dpf delete, AFE intake and spartan tune. He runs the 210 (additional HP) tune and averages 18 mpg with a best of 23-24 on a long trip. They say the 275 tune actually does better in terms of economy but the truck nowadays is basically a tow vehicle for our 10k lb boat. gets about 10 mpg towing the boat.

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
Spartan tuner ftw with the dpf, egr delete & intake be good to go, Spartan has packages on there site to do this can buy all from them i believe.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
DPF/EGR delete and a tune should get you better fuel mileage.

What is a DPF?

I live in a state where they plug into the OBD port for inspections. I think I read they do not test diesels. Could that be correct?

How hard is it to remove the DPF and the EGR?

You are twisting my melon. I have a lot of learning to do. I looks like from reading your reply there is an indicator light and I guess you mash some button to do the "regen"? IF I do the EGR delete and tune will this eliminate the "regen"?

I was talking to a buddy yesterday about his F250, alomst exactly what I have. He mentioned his got a hole in the radiator and it was replaced. i wonder if this is the same problem. I'll check when I pick the truck up hopefully this afternoon. Thanks for the heads up.

The guy that owned this truck swapped out the tires from the new F250 to this truck. I have brand new Michelin Pilots and 20 inch wheels I aint diggin on yet. I didn't really like the 19 inch wheels on my GT500 and now I can't find anything I really like better to replace them. They are pretty tall. Hopefully they do not affect my mileage.

Thanks for the inputs guys.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
The truck does the regens automatically. the dash will briefly post up a message indicating it is under way...

Sometimes you'll be able to tell the truck is about to go into one by the way it behaves....Sometimes I would give it some gas (say to pass somebody) and the truck would fall on its face and belch greyish/black smoke. Always shortly aftyer it would go into regen...

Outside of mileage the only problem I had with the 35's was it seemed to want to hunt gears a little under certain conditions...

the DPF (diesel particulate filter) is associated with the regens...Just spend the $1500ish for a good DPF delete kit and never look back....Really the only regret I have with mine is that I didn't do it...

The hole in the radiator was a very common problem...so much so there was a TSB and updated radiator i believe....

Don't let any of this scare you...They are great trucks...I liked mine so much I found myself trying to come up with excuses to justify it's minor shortcomings...

WHeitzman

Established Member
I have a 2010 F350 CC longbed

If you want more fuel economy lose the DPF, it is the only thing that will help. I run H&S MiniMax for my tuner. I recently started running a fuel additive and it seems to be helping the fuel economy a little but I could just be imagining it.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. This is a great truck. I hope the guy that owned it took as good of care of the motor and he did to the exterior and interior. I have had several people ask me if it is a new truck. They should know by looking at the grill it's an older model.

I've had the truck for two weeks. The Average MPG readout on the dash is pretty accurate compared to filling the tank and dividing the gallons into the mileage off the odometer. I am really pleased more from fear that I was going to get 8-10. I average 16 on 35-45 mph county roads with a few stops. On the Interstate I am averaging a sold 21 mpg but I drive it like an old woman at 65 mph without the A/C. It takes me half a mile to get up to 55. I would like to get 4 more MPG though.

I'm putting so much in my GT500 to get it on the track in October the DPF will have to wait. Plus, I need to pick up one more firearm just in case Obama wins this November. I've already cut that down from two. I know they are going to ban rifles with magazines sooner or later. At least make a law anyway.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow, i cant believe yours is that good.

My bone stock truck just squeezed out 13-14mpg highway on a round trip to texas.

2008 ex-cab, short bed, 4x4.

Users who are viewing this thread