Supercharging the 5.0 and no modifications needed.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
You also need to consider the volume of the cylinder. A larger volume (low compression) packed with the same pressure as a smaller volume, will make more power.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
As long as the cylinder pressures are the same, you'll make the same power.

How so, air pressure is air pressure, no matter how it's pumped in.
exactly!!! the person who just "has" to raise the boost levels and blows his engine just because he thinks 8lbs is a "small number" is an idiot who probably shouldn't be making decisions about his own car. unless he just doesn't care about money of course.

HP Solutions

Established Member
As long as the cylinder pressures are the same, you'll make the same power.

How so, air pressure is air pressure, no matter how it's pumped in.

Not exactly, you can have a lower peak cylinder pressure and still make more power.

But I will play along, so are you saying a motor with 11.0 compression ratio will 8 lbs with make the same power as the same motor with 9.0 compression and 17 lbs? You need to give some real world examples.

Also about why high compression helps with a turbo. High compression will help spool the turbo faster. It wont make nearly a big difference on a supercharged car.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Not exactly, you can have a lower peak cylinder pressure and still make more power.

But I will play along, so are you saying a motor with 11.0 compression ratio will 8 lbs with make the same power as the same motor with 9.0 compression and 17 lbs? You need to give some real world examples.

Also about why high compression helps with a turbo. High compression will help spool the turbo faster. It wont make nearly a big difference on a supercharged car.

Not sure how the numbers you provided would play out, as we are lacking a lot of key information to come to a conclusion. For one, we don't even know if the numbers are even in the right ratios. Also, maybe the 11:1 motor could handle 12# and the 9:1 only 15#. Too many details are missing and I frankly don't want to do the math right now.

As for the turbos, I wasn't talking about spooling. Boost pressure is boost pressure.

Erick

Established Member
^^^
Agreed!
We know nothing about the intercooler/HE setup. Air charge will play an important role as well.

65mph_Roll

Established Member
You also need to consider the volume of the cylinder. A larger volume (low compression) packed with the same pressure as a smaller volume, will make more power.

YES!! a pont many are missing. This is a dynamic problem about static compression ratios and boost! LOL. Combustion chamber volume and ability to run timing seem to unaddressed in the hi-compresion, just-bolt-it-on blower world.

65mph_Roll

Established Member
exactly!!! the person who just "has" to raise the boost levels and blows his engine just because he thinks 8lbs is a "small number" is an idiot who probably shouldn't be making decisions about his own car. unless he just doesn't care about money of course.

Have you blown any motors due to boost?

HP Solutions

Established Member
Not sure how the numbers you provided would play out, as we are lacking a lot of key information to come to a conclusion. For one, we don't even know if the numbers are even in the right ratios. Also, maybe the 11:1 motor could handle 12# and the 9:1 only 15#. Too many details are missing and I frankly don't want to do the math right now.

As for the turbos, I wasn't talking about spooling. Boost pressure is boost pressure.

There is a lot of real world information you can use. No need to do math, you cant argue with physics. Like I said, a turbo and even a supercharger is much more efficient at moving air than pistons are. There is a reason why all factory cars that are boosted and run pump gas are low compression. I wont argue that ultimately high compression will make more power at the same boost level, but pump gas will limit you. But as technology catches up and direct injection is used more and more high compression will come in to play with all motors.

When I was at PRI this past December I saw the injectors that are going to be in cars 5-8 years from now. The injectors will be able to spray fuel on the compression stroke. Much like a diesel.

I know you werent talking about spooling, Ry_Trapp0 said "usable" power in a previous post so i was responding to him.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Just read the new 5.0 articles about the new '11 GT. A nice side article on the new Twin screw that will be available from Ford Racing soon. It will have a factory inter-cooler standard, Ford Pro-cal tuner and 50 state EO number. What they didn't say was how much boost, new HP rating the price, and warranty availability. I spoke with the Ford Racing, and Shelby guys at the Fab. Fords show and they said 5-6 lbs. of Boost, approx 120 HP gain, and availability in September. The Ford warranty at that time hadn't been determined. The new super-charged Shelby GT 350 will have the same unit, and be warrantied. [For +30K on top of the car it better be!!] The standard GT350 will have a new intake, exhaust and tune and be rated around 440 HP, crank. Sounds about right.
Should be interesting

csledd

DSG!!
Established Member
I read somewhere that the supercharged SMS 5.0 will have a rating of about 440 hp as well.. That seems low to me though?

Edit: Just found a new article on it.. the non s/c version is 440, the s/c version is 535.

Last edited:

65mph_Roll

Established Member
Ford should bring back the "LX" 5.0 at about 150lbs lighter somehow (13" brakes? 17" wheels? some cheaper stuff?) and less base HP for "lower insurance" reasons, and reduce the HP by 8.5:1 compression forged pistons.......get my meaning???

Users who are viewing this thread