Supercharging the 5.0 and no modifications needed.

Driver72

Established Member
For all those wondering if there were internal modifications done to the GT350 when they strap a supercharger to it, check this out: Sounds like no internal changes are needed.

Ford Racing Tests new 5-liter/GT350 Supercharger - Stang TV Forums

Awesome news. I have a feeling FRPP will sell quite a few of these superchargers and having it fully warrantied by Ford too is just SWEET!

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
driver u are the blue guy getting poked with the stick.

Driver72

Established Member
sorry dudes, didn't know it was common knowledge. There are a handful of threads I've read where people are speculating on what has been done to the internals of the 5.0 before the supercharger was put on to make the GT350

csledd

DSG!!
Established Member
So what's the price tag on it.. like $7k+? I wonder if the aftermarket s/c kits made by other vendors will have a nice price tag as well. I don't plan to get an s/c on mine for a few years so warranty won't be much of an issue by then.

Driver72

Established Member
So what's the price tag on it.. like $7k+? I wonder if the aftermarket s/c kits made by other vendors will have a nice price tag as well. I don't plan to get an s/c on mine for a few years so warranty won't be much of an issue by then.

You are probably in the ballpark for the price of the s/c from Ford.
But to have a 2011 GT converted to a GT350, is about a $30k charge.
Overly high yes, but a lot of that is labor, exclusivity and probably residual right payments that are needed to be paid to Carroll Shelby.
The GT350 also gets upgrades above and beyond the s/c too. It also gets at least one downgrade....the butt ugly front fender assembly.

csledd

DSG!!
Established Member
You are probably in the ballpark for the price of the s/c from Ford.
But to have a 2011 GT converted to a GT350, is about a $30k charge.
Overly high yes, but a lot of that is labor, exclusivity and probably residual right payments that are needed to be paid to Carroll Shelby.
The GT350 also gets upgrades above and beyond the s/c too. It also gets at least one downgrade....the butt ugly front fender assembly.

Yeah I wouldn't give a crap about all the other stuff, just give me the s/c plez :beer:

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
roush is working on an application currently, of course biggest challenge..durability long term...then EPA/CARB certification..we shall see

03roush

01 Roush Stage 3 #106
Established Member
The supercharger only puts out like 3-5 pounds of boost because of the high compression ratio, which is why Roush and others alike are having a hard time building a supercharged car from the 5.0

csledd

DSG!!
Established Member
The supercharger only puts out like 3-5 pounds of boost because of the high compression ratio, which is why Roush and others alike are having a hard time building a supercharged car from the 5.0

Thought it was possible to do a bit more boost than that. So what about the GT350, how much boost is it suppose to run to achieve the 500hp they're claiming, anyone know?

65mph_Roll

Established Member
But does the GT350 use lower compression pistions? You would think it's at 8lbs min to 12lbs max, not 3-5lbs being "Shelby supercar"

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
But does the GT350 use lower compression pistions? You would think it's at 8lbs min to 12lbs max, not 3-5lbs being "Shelby supercar"

Stock block. They're not touching the internals, and everything I've heard is 3-5 psi.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
sorry dudes, didn't know it was common knowledge. There are a handful of threads I've read where people are speculating on what has been done to the internals of the 5.0 before the supercharger was put on to make the GT350
lol, no problem mang.
explain again how they are having a "hard time". are you trying to say that they don't know how to put a larger pulley on a supercharger so that it doesn't produce more than 8PSI of boost or something? really guys, this isn't rocket science.
go read the whipple thread, they already have an FRPP supercharger on the way that will produce 8PSI.
Blower Drive Service: We Deliver Horse Power! - Blower Drive Systems, Blower Kits, Blower Cams, Custom Carb Service

Last edited:

65mph_Roll

Established Member
lol, no problem mang.

explain again how they are having a "hard time". are you trying to say that they don't know how to put a larger pulley on a supercharger so that it doesn't produce more than 8PSI of boost or something? really guys, this isn't rocket science.
go read the whipple thread, they already have an FRPP supercharger on the way that will produce 8PSI.
Blower Drive Service: We Deliver Horse Power! - Blower Drive Systems, Blower Kits, Blower Cams, Custom Carb Service

Yes, but why start with 11:1 compression to begin with for a supercharged car??

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Yes, but why start with 11:1 compression to begin with for a supercharged car??
why not? the only thing that's limited is the amount of boost you can run, NOT the amount of power you can make vs the inverse. if low compression/high boost was the "only" way to do it, then we would be running some stupid crap like 50PSI into a 4 to 1 compression engine.

really, high boost/low compression isn't any better or worse than low boost/high compression. they are both just a means to an end. the engine compresses air and the supercharger compresses air. all your doing is switching up which one does the most work.

Last edited:

csledd

DSG!!
Established Member
why not? the only thing that's limited is the amount of boost you can run, NOT the amount of power you can make vs the inverse. if low compression/high boost was the "only" way to do it, then we would be running some stupid crap like 50PSI into a 4 to 1 compression engine.

really, high boost/low compression isn't any better or worse than low boost/high compression. they are both just a means to an end. the engine compresses air and the supercharger compresses air. all your doing is switching up which one does the most work.

I'm mostly curious what kind of numbers will come from 3-4 lbs of boost. Wondering if we can see the same numbers that Terminators get from KB 2.2's :)

metaman

Established Member
If someone will convert to E85 and run a blower, then that person will probably be able to find the breaking point of the rods before he encounters detonation.

I don't think it will take long before someone swaps out the pistons and rods for a boost friendly 8.5-9:1 CR. Once this is done, you could basically run as much boost as the head gaskets and fuel could handle. How much more power one of these motors would make over an 03/04 4valve would be interesting to see with all things besides the design of the heads almost being equal.

If ford where smart, I think that they would just build a boost ready version of this motor and drop it into the 2012 GT500. This would provide a higher tech, lighter motor that would probably make comparable numbers to the 5.4. I personally would rather have the adjustable cams and higher flow heads over the displacement.

csledd

DSG!!
Established Member
Well at least we have Lethal Performance testing the Whipple 2.3L @ 7psi. Can't wait to see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread