Supercharging question

Black96vert

Established Member
Hi Guys,

I have a 96 cobra with about 112k on it. Some modifications but nothing that changes horsepower significantly. I am wanting to get about another 100 hp to the rear tires and get more low end power. So I am wanting to supercharge the car. I am going to have a reputable shop do the install but I want to do things in steps. In other words I am not wanting to plop down 5 to 8k at once. I figured I would purchase the parts to build up the motor first. At least forged pistons and rods and keep the stock crank. I want to do what is necessary but not over do it on building the motor. I am not looking to have the fastest car in the area but I do not want motor problems either. I guess I might as well replace the gaskets and seals also. Any ball park figures for a good set of forged rods and pistons and seals to get a 4v 4.6 strong enough for 8 to 10lbs of boost. Any guesses on a good price to have the motor done by a shop. By the way this is just building the motor not putting the supercharger on yet. As you can see I am not a expert but if I left out anything ( I am sure I did) your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks

1Nastycobra

Established Member
Mmr has great deals on shortblocks..check their site . Modular Mustang Racing for a decent bottom end not too crazy your looking at anywhere from $2200-$2800. If you want Jus a rotating assembly, somewhere between $1700-$2000..Hope that helps

Last edited:

97svtman

Established Member
i believe just rods and pistons are in the 800-1200 dollar area for minor rebuilds. gaskets and seals not to sure on good luck

96S/Cobra

Established Member
If you're only lookking for 8-10 psi, your stock short block will be just fine. You can put on a KB 2.1 and make 400-425 rwhp (give or take a few) for that low end grunt. Or you can put on an vortech s-trim or procharger p-1 with approx 10 psi or so and make the same 400-425 rwhp. Just put in a set of 4.10 gears in the rear if you go with a centri and that will make up for any low end grunt that you're looking for.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all about building a stout short block and cranking up the wick so to speak, but if you're only looking for 100 or so rwhp over stock there is no need to spend all the extra cash on the forged internals. Now I forged the short block in my car, but I was looking for much more than 100 extra hp so I needed to get the forged parts installed. But I'm also running 17+psi, but you're only wanting 8-10 psi, so take my advice and save your money.

Just make sure the fuel system is adequate for the power you're wanting to make, and make sure a reputable tuner gets your tune spot on and you'll be just fine.

blk96SVT

Established Member
125 shot, some gears and DR's and your car will be a completely different car. If you are going to rebuild your motor start saving money now. DO NOT go cheap on anything when you do it. Its not worth saving a few bucks cause you didn't want to do some certain things while it is opened up. If done correctly it won't be cheap. Also, your car may last on the stock bottom end for awhile, but it could also go after a few miles. The main reason the motor lets go on our cars is because of the inadequate cooling of pistons 7 and 8. Thats what went on mine. I had the LDC head cooling mod done to mine when I had my engine redone. I also had billet oil pump gears installed, and a Canton 7qt oil pan. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread