SUPERCHARGING 96-98 COBRA ?'S !!

pest36

Established Member
hey guys. i'm new to this site but have been posting on stangnet.com for about 2 years. I have had 3 mustangs, including a 96 cobra that i wrecked in december, but i want another one real bad so i am selling the gay subaru to get it. this time i want to supercharge it right away. Stage II 3-core procharger seems to be the best deal with the 8 psi kit but pretty expensive... what do you think the difference in gains are with 6 and 8 psi? where are they the cheapest? and most importantly will the stock t45 handle 8 psi as a daily driver??? i REALLY want to run mid 11's without having to spend a lot. i will probably buy a cobra that already has the mods my old one did... gears, o/r H, flows, aluminum driveshaft and then get some long tube headers if i can afford it. and are dyno tunes and chips necassary? i don't know if i can afford that too. maybe i could buy the s/c kit and wait on install. how much u think shops charge for install.... say $500 pleaaaaseee. basically if i sell the wrx i can be left with anywhere between 5000 and 8000 dollars. so i'd keep the $ for s/c and put the difference down on the car and finance the rest. i dunno what to do,.. any suggestions will be appreciated.

ForceInjection

Established Member
You really don't need to go with the stage II you can get away with their standard kit. The Stage II comes with a 3 core intercooler which can support around 750HP. From my understanding the standard kit can support up to 500HP so you should be able to get away with out going to the stage II. Since you will have a stock bottom end you really should not go above 8-9 psi anyways. The difference between 6-8 psi is around 20-30 HP.

pest36

Established Member
ok sounds good. how much hp and tq you think a 98 cobra woudl have with long tubes, o/r H, flows, cai + 6 psi s/c?? are 11's possible?
oh and do you NEEEEEED a dyno tune after s/c?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
You should make right at 400RWHP with similar torque numbers. That is on 8PSI. My 97 made 400 and 400 with only FRPP headers. Completely stock exhaust, electrical syatem, and fuels system except for the booster pump that came with the Vortech kit.
You don't have to have a dyno tune, although they do net better results. Most kits will come with a gerneric chip for that setup. It will be very conservative, meaning rich usually for safety. The stock rev limitter is set to 7200. DO NOT overrev it after the SC is installed. Hitting the rev limitter in stock trim isn't that good, but the stock limitter shuts the fuel off. This is a bad thing under boost. Pistons will go away in a hurry this way.

As for 11's. I'd say possible with slicks and a gear. I would say it is more possible with 8 PSI, which is still safe if you don't beat the bejesus out of it. The stock T-45 will handle this also. Providing you don't beat it to death. Gas mileage won't be any different unless you're making boost, then it changes rapidly.

1slosnake

10 second pilot
Established Member
11's could be possible if you had some gear and tire w/8 psi I am not sure about mid 11's but high 11's. And as far as going 11's without blowing a few T45's along the way :kaboom: is probably not going to happen, unfortunetly you can't have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

BlackCobra96

As far as costs, I paid about $5000 for my setup, which included the Vortec kit, installation, tune (consider this mandatory), and a bunch of other things (plugs, new fuel filter, etc.). With the current combo, I should be able to break the 11's with slicks.

I've never heard a WRX owner call their car gay. Why do you want to sell it?

Users who are viewing this thread