Superchargers

VancityCobra21

Established Member
My Cobra is mostly a weekend driver with an Accufab TB and all I would need is the 60# injectors and the fuel pumps upgrade for supporting mods. My Cobra will never see the track, however I thought it would be cool to upgrade my supercharger in the near future.

I was hoping for some feedback on the following superchargers:
Whipple 2.3 Vs. Kenne Bell 2.2 Vs. TVS 2.3

I would like to know what kind of power levels these superchargers can produce, reliablility, how easy/tough the installation is and any other specs about them.

Thanks in advance:beer:

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
TVS will make the most power but it has no provision for EGR, so you or a my wont pass inspection. From what I have read on here, the Whipple and KB yield about the same amount of power, but KB's run higher charge temps thus a greater risk of boom boom pow. I researched this for a while and I will be going Whipple 2.3 for my DD when money permits.

VMP really needs to step up and just offer an EGR option. Even if its another $250 or something, it's worth it for that Torque monster.

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
tvs will make the most power but it has no provision for egr, so you or a my wont pass inspection. From what i have read on here, the whipple and kb yield about the same amount of power, but kb's run higher charge temps thus a greater risk of boom boom pow. I researched this for a while and i will be going whipple 2.3 for my dd when money permits.

Vmp really needs to step up and just offer an egr option. Even if its another $250 or something, it's worth it for that torque monster.

this!!!! I had the KB 2.2 on mine for a little while and that thing got too damn hot! Go 2.3 Whipple if you don't have emission issues go TVS!

Riored95

Established Member
I wld agree and say step up to a 2.9 now and do it once. Just my 2 cents.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
go 2.8 mammoth or 2.9 crusher
and no a 2.9 isnt to much for a weekend crusher. im using the 2.8 kb on my DD build. pics/info in sig link

stangfreak

Established Member
Won't a 2.9 Whipple be overkill for a weekend driver? How much more power can the 2.9 produce over the 2.3 Whipple?

if your only going to run 15-18lbs of boost which I don't like to run on any twinscrew, then get a 2.3 whipple.

If you are going to run 20lbs and up, get a 2.9.

stangfreak

Established Member
crusher on a 2.9 is the biggest waste of money. The mammoth on the kb works. No need for a mammoth setup where you have to change everything around or a crusher setup on a 2.9.

03sm3341

Established Member
Pretty sure all new 2.9 whipples are crusher only which jacks up the price alot! Ive had a 2.2 kb and 2.3l whipple. I like the 2.3l better hands down. 2.2l kb's are not the best blower. They are old and heat soak rather quickly particularly under high boost like mine was. People Just love that 2.2 scream! find a used 2.3 whipple run the 3.5 upper only and do 560-580 all day every day with no issues. and not a ton of cash in fuel mods.

stangfreak

Established Member
what do you mean?
I get the vibe that OP doesn't want to go really crazy with the car. I think the mammoth wouldnt be a good choice due to the fact that you have to relocate the battery, relocate the intake system, I think you have to cut a small hole for the inlet tube if im not mistaken. mammoth is if you want balls out power. It works.

I think a nice 2.9 standard setup would be good for op. still have room to grow in the future.

Iv seen two 2.9 crushers on the dyno, and not one impressed me one bit. whoever got 800rwhp from it, no comment.

03sm3341

Established Member
And advice taking the blower off... Take the lower intake blower and all in one chunk. I've done it both ways. This way is much faster. And install it the same way. The back passenger side fuel rail bolt is damn near impossible to tighten once the blower and intake are back on the car. This was with a 2.3 whipple. The 2.2 KB is alittle easier but still pull/install in one chunk! As far as fuel mods go. Your going to get a blue million answers "oh well you need this return style system crap" dont listen to the hype. not every one is looking to build some 800hp e85 counsuming pain in the a** to take care of car. And for people who would like to argue the e85 comment. I've had one. Try driving it in temps below 50 or get fuel in the winter time in the midwest. Not gonna happen. Fuel on a car like your wanting consist of.............

-twin GT pumps (boost a pump maybe i dont like the fact your boosting the crap out of the stock pumps though. Last thing you want is one going south during a pull)
-dual of modified fpdm
-60lbs injectors
-a mafia or sct maf ba 2600 would be a good choice (once again i dont like tricking stuff to do more than its intended. so id opt for the ba2600)
-kb frps disc. (this is a must you'll blow the frps up with out it. ( i did two before I got smart)

Last edited:

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
I get the vibe that OP doesn't want to go really crazy with the car. I think the mammoth wouldnt be a good choice due to the fact that you have to relocate the battery, relocate the intake system, I think you have to cut a small hole for the inlet tube if im not mistaken. mammoth is if you want balls out power. It works.

the mammoth is complete from air filter up so its not so much relocating the intake but thats just the way it is, however you are correct about the battery needing to be relocated

i thought you were going to make a comment about putting a mammoth inlet on a non mammoth 2.8 down the road....because you cant do that

whereas you can buy a 2.9 non crusher and put the crusher inlet when you want to move up

Last edited:

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
And advice taking the blower off... Take the lower intake blower and all in one chunk. I've done it both ways. This way is much faster. And install it the same way. The back passenger side fuel rail bolt is damn near impossible to tighten once the blower and intake are back on the car. This was with a 2.3 whipple. The 2.2 KB is alittle easier but still pull/install in one chunk! As far as fuel mods go. Your going to get a blue million answers "oh well you need this return style system crap" dont listen to the hype. not every one is looking to build some 800hp e85 counsuming pain in the a** to take care of car. And for people who would like to argue the e85 comment. I've had one. Try driving it in temps below 50 or get fuel in the winter time in the midwest. Not gonna happen. Fuel on a car like your wanting consist of.............

-twin GT pumps (boost a pump maybe i dont like the fact your boosting the crap out of the stock pumps though. Last thing you want is one going south during a pull)
-dual of modified fpdm
-60lbs injectors
-a mafia or sct maf ba 2600 would be a good choice (once again i dont like tricking stuff to do more than its intended. so id opt for the ba2600)
-kb frps disc. (this is a must you'll blow the frps up with out it. ( i did two before I got smart)

are the stock fuel hoses -8 and -6 or ?
i dont know since my sn95 termie swap car came with them

asking because im selling that setup to go -10/-8 and it could help the OP

03sm3341

Established Member
are the stock fuel hoses -8 and -6 or ?
i dont know since my sn95 termie swap car came with them

asking because im selling that setup to go -10/-8 and it could help the OP

-6 or smaller. Almost all of its steel line.

on a different note lol. For what the op says he wants the mods ive mentioned are proven to work time and time again.

VancityCobra21

Established Member

-dual of modified fpdm
-60lbs injectors

Thanks for the great information! Since this Cobra is a vert what would you recommend to stiffen up the body so it can handle that much power? Right now I have Eibach pro-kit springs installed, and it has sub-frame connectors and a strut-tower brace. I have the other mods like heat exchanger, Accufab TB, and Steeda CAI.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
OP, sounds like a ported eaton w/pulley would satisfy your thirst, my budy has pullied eaton, that did very well against my whipple 2.3 when I was at 16psi...going from 390 to close to 500rwhp is quite a jump that you will notice...if that is not enough throw a little 50/75 shot on it to put the torque near higher displacement blowers are.

p.s dont forget about the T56 when upgrading power, the 10 spline may have an objection when torque is nearing 600ftlbs.....:xpl:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread