SuperCharger Whine On the New Shelbys. How do you get it louder?

cobraman800

Cobraman800
Established Member
Hey there. I just installed a new jlt intake 127mm and a lund custom tune to go with it on my 2014 shelby. No other parts other than those 2 things. I bought the intake because I actually wanted to be able to hear the supercharger whine. Just installed the new intake today and took it for a test ride after and it is not near as loud as I thought it would be. You can barely hear it only at high rpm. I sold my 03 cobra to get a 2014 Shelby and I remember as soon as I put an intake on the 03 that thing screamed compared to the Shelby.

Anyone know why that is? Also what other things can I possibly to do really get that supercharger whine loud when I hit the throttle. I don't want to buy a aftermarket supercharger.
-would changing out the pulley make it louder?
-would changing out the throttle body so it is getting more air make it louder?
-would sending it to stiegemeier and get a stage 6 port make the thing really scream? My dad has his 03 cobra stock supercharger ported by stiegemeier and that thing almost sounds as loud as an aftermarket one now.

Thanks in advance for your input and help.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Put a microphone near the supercharger, and mount a bullhorn in the grill. :banana:

j/k :rockon:

Poppacapp

Established Member
Hey there. I just installed a new jlt intake 127mm and a lund custom tune to go with it on my 2014 shelby. No other parts other than those 2 things. I bought the intake because I actually wanted to be able to hear the supercharger whine. Just installed the new intake today and took it for a test ride after and it is not near as loud as I thought it would be. You can barely hear it only at high rpm. I sold my 03 cobra to get a 2014 Shelby and I remember as soon as I put an intake on the 03 that thing screamed compared to the Shelby.

Anyone know why that is? Also what other things can I possibly to do really get that supercharger whine loud when I hit the throttle. I don't want to buy a aftermarket supercharger.
-would changing out the pulley make it louder?
-would changing out the throttle body so it is getting more air make it louder?
-would sending it to stiegemeier and get a stage 6 port make the thing really scream? My dad has his 03 cobra stock supercharger ported by stiegemeier and that thing almost sounds as loud as an aftermarket one now.

Thanks in advance for your input and help.

On another note, you didnt install the 127mm jlt without a tune did you?
If you change the pulley, and spin the supercharger faster, it will get louder.
Not sure about the port thing.

cobraman800

Cobraman800
Established Member
On another note, you didnt install the 127mm jlt without a tune did you?
If you change the pulley, and spin the supercharger faster, it will get louder.
Not sure about the port thing.

I course I did not start the car up and drive it until the tune was in. But thanks for being concerned, haha.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Hmmm. I wonder if the different sound signature of the TVS actually makes it quieter? Does the four lobe and higher helix actually generate lower volume or higher pitched (more easily absorbed) soundwaves? ...Or is the superior sound insulation of the Shelby causing his Shelby to sound quieter than the Termi?

Poppacapp

Established Member
Ummmm,,,popcap,,need to read two more words past 127mm,,,,it'll answer your question from original post. :poke:

Yeah, I noticed it... Had a long day at a car show/dyno day today.. little sleep.. I'm gonna crash soon. :)

Poppacapp

Established Member
Hmmm. I wonder if the different sound signature of the TVS actually makes it quieter? Does the four lobe and higher helix actually generate lower volume or higher pitched (more easily absorbed) soundwaves? ...Or is the superior sound insulation of the Shelby causing his Shelby to sound quieter than the Termi?

My Ford Racing 13' TVS with 2.4" pulley screams now. Wasn't quite as loud with the stock 2.67 pulley on it.

cobraman800

Cobraman800
Established Member

That is a good question. I can tell you that it is a higher pitched sound than stock eaton on the 03.

big_ole_truck

Established Member
I'm not impressed with the blower making noise. But the exhaust making a sweet mechanical note is so nice, and more desired by me.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I had a Steg IV on my '03 Cobra with stock catback and that thing screamed! That car was all blower noise, this Shelby is all sweet exhaust note. They're both cool but I prefer the Shelby.

Skillz

Established Member
I love hearing a supercharger whine as it's coming and exhaust when it's leaving. Man I miss my Terminator. I think I might get another one instead of a 13/14 GT500.

grobertx

Established Member
My Ford Racing 13' TVS with 2.4" pulley screams now. Wasn't quite as loud with the stock 2.67 pulley on it.

Same here, my 2.4" screams. I could have sworn there was also some type of resonator delete with the CAI that allowed the blower whine into the cab....

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Reviving this from the dead. This is the first car I have owned that is super-charged (2012 though), all my others (Challenger SRT\Camaro SS) had cutouts and they sounded amazing, but the whine from the super-charger is just music to my ears, it sounds so cool that I can def understand why 13+ owners would want their S\C to scream. My fathers CTS-V is DEAD silent and is 560hp\560tq if I recall.

I guess for some reason for the '13s they wanted to quiet it down, but it is also has a totally new super-charger. First mod I did was install the "resonator\muffler" delete on my GT-500, I just LOVE that whining sound, loud exhaust is loud exhaust, when that sucker whining flys by you, you are going to go WTF WAS THAT. The louder the super-charger the BETTER, amazing the 13+ are quieter, everyone loves to hear that whine as it is so "rare" vs just being loud exhaust wise.

I normally love loud and obnoxious bubbling V-8, but I think people are more awe-struck by the super-charger sound, as that vs a loud exhaust is just so rare and you wonder what the heck it is when it flys by you

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread