supercharger removal questions.

2002_500HP

Banned
Hey Guys,
I was gonna take the S/C off for some port and polish action, i've read the tech write ups and need someone to clear up where i need to use new nuts and bolts at, and what is the best thing to use to clean the intercooler up with as non of the write ups include this information.

Thanks,
Chris

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
Go to the "How To" section. There's an intercooler removal/installation "how to" in there. It should help ya out. :beer:

Some guys use that brake/parts cleaner stuff or gumout etc to clean their intercoolers.

Anyone else?

Last edited:

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
I found this.Hope it helps you out....

you dont need to replace any bolts!
just take out the 8 that hold down the supercharger & pull off the supercharger.
then towards the back of the CAC (next to the firewall), there are 2 hoses that need to be removed (have towel ready to catch the antifreeze & place tubes to the side out of the way)

next, towards the back of the CAC, there are 4 bolts that hold down the innercooler.
after taking out those 4 bolts, simply lift up and towards you and the innercooler assembly will come out.
there is no need to dis-assemble the innercooler further than this as carb cleaner can be sprayed into the fins and will soak thru and out the bottom of the innercooler.
be careful not to tip the innercooler as it still may have some antifreeze in it.

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
You dont need new bolt or new gasket. And I use any kind of degreaser. Good luck. Your first supercharger removal is FUN...

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
well i believe the torque to yield bolts are the ones you would take out to completely dis-assemble the CAC (removing the intake manifold(#4) from the CAC assembly)Thats the ones that would need replacing.

hyvltge

PSI
Established Member
Torque to yield bolts I am told are tappered. When I had mine out I had them measured at work and they were all concentric. I have reused the stock bolts in every SC swap I have helped with and have never had a problem, including guys with KB's. You can reuse all of the gaskets as long as they are not damaged at all. Check here for more info:

http://www.azloc.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=774

TEspy

Established Member
Try using Greased Lightning Cleaner on the CAC. I used it on mine and it worked better than carb cleaner and did an awsome job. Looked like new when I was done.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
brucewrs said:
well i believe the torque to yield bolts are the ones you would take out to completely dis-assemble the CAC (removing the intake manifold(#4) from the CAC assembly)Thats the ones that would need replacing.

Many a person, including myself, have reused the torque to yield bolts without any problems. I've reused mine twice. Once to clean the IC, and once when I swapped on a ported blower.

As for cleaning the IC, I used both brake and carb cleaner. But before I did, I did an initial cleaning with Easy Off oven cleaner.

Stewart

kromdom

1KWKTRK
Established Member
NOTE: Brake parts cleaner can/will strip the teflon on your rotors. Also, may need a second sets of hands when it is time to lift off the I/C: 2 back bolts will snag the firewall so need to tilt up then pull out (others have cut off part of the bolts so they will clear the firewall) for future sessions.

Good time to check/change plugs while you have lots of room! Good luck!

luv2drum1

Established Member
I just swapped superchargers on my Dad's 03 Lightning today. I re-used all the stock gaskets and bolts. I cleaned the intercooler with brake parts cleaner. You can remove the intercooler by removing the four bolts on the back of the unit along with the two hoses.

Users who are viewing this thread