Supercharger on stock 2001 bullitt?

Swaie

Established Member
I have a 2001 mustang bullitt that I plan on supercharging. The car is stock except for the xpipe and dynomax exhaust. Can I run 6-9 pounds of boost on the stock motor or am I looking at motor failure? I will be using the torkteck kit with a stock cobra supercharger and injectors and all the other stuff that is needed. Trying to get 390 to the ground. I don't really want to put on longtubes until later. Will the car run fine wiith a good tune on 9lbs?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Personally, I'd run stock pulley (~8psi) and make sure the A/F and timing are on the safe side (mid 11s, roughly mid 10s timing).

that's just my opinion..others may disagree.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
ford supercharged these motors from the factory with the exact same internals on the s281 saleen supercharged and the roush stage 3 if that answers your question. in other words no it wont blow up unless something wasnt installed or tuned right

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
ford supercharged these motors from the factory with the exact same internals on the s281 saleen supercharged and the roush stage 3 if that answers your question. in other words no it wont blow up unless something wasnt installed or tuned right

UmmmmUH.......M90 vs. M112, and different PSI ratings. You're not comparing apples to apples for him. Saleen and Roush warrantied them and did so with their own tunes with 5 psi on a smaller blower.

Swaie

Established Member
Personally, I'd run stock pulley (~8psi) and make sure the A/F and timing are on the safe side (mid 11s, roughly mid 10s timing).

that's just my opinion..others may disagree.

Yea, that is exactly what I'm wanting to do run the stock pulley. You really think that car can get in the low 12's to 11's? That's all the power I need, as Long as it is reliable for daily driving, or would a centri unit be better?

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Yea, that is exactly what I'm wanting to do run the stock pulley. You really think that car can get in the low 12's to 11's? That's all the power I need, as Long as it is reliable for daily driving, or would a centri unit be better?

I'm not sure how much those kits are, but I'd spend the time to compare them to a centrif setup. I like PD's and Centrif. Look at pricing and also look at how you want your power (as in TQ level). PD's tend to give better low end TQ, but upper RPMS are where you are at when on a 1320 track. PD blower look kickass under the hood, but should you choose to upgrade the shortblock later, there's more potential out of the Centrif. than the eaton (generally).

Pro's and cons to both. Unfortunately only you can make that choice. If I were to do it, I'd go with a centrif myself. As for ET's....that'll depend on track, power, and setup. 3.73s and DR's with hardened mosers should get you there (with upper 300rwhp) fairly easily (track pending of course).:beer:

Swaie

Established Member
So i've done a little bit of thinking. It is going to cost about 4 grand if not more for the tork tech non intercooled kit. Then I have to buy that hood scoop for 199.99 then shipping is like 300 dollars. that makes the kit just about 4 grand. The vortech centri kit is 3650 shipped, with a tune, and I can convert it over to intercooled later if I want. Which do you guys think would be better?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
So i've done a little bit of thinking. It is going to cost about 4 grand if not more for the tork tech non intercooled kit. Then I have to buy that hood scoop for 199.99 then shipping is like 300 dollars. that makes the kit just about 4 grand. The vortech centri kit is 3650 shipped, with a tune, and I can convert it over to intercooled later if I want. Which do you guys think would be better?

I'd do the Vortech, but I'd go I/C or A/C now. I woudlnt' wait. Especially if you are wanting 390RWHP.

You can always look into used kits and save a grand. :shrug:

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
my buddy has a 01 Bullitt and is the most knowledgeable Bullitt owner I know. He has a Vortech with stock motor and no I/C or A/C making at least 350rwhp. He just got a A/C and hasn't put it on yet but he says the motor should handle around 450...he hopes, lol.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
my buddy has a 01 Bullitt and is the most knowledgeable Bullitt owner I know. He has a Vortech with stock motor and no I/C or A/C making at least 350rwhp. He just got a A/C and hasn't put it on yet but he says the motor should handle around 450...he hopes, lol.

It should. With the A/C he'll be able to turn it up a tad.

My only point is I wouldn't push 400rwhp without some kind of cooling...I/C, A/C or Meth (which I wouldnt' meth myself, but that's me)

Swaie

Established Member
Yea I may go ahead and put it on now I have a pecision turbo i/c now that I could use.

Users who are viewing this thread