Supercharger oil questions...

Orange Vert

EX CO-VERT
Established Member
Is there another oil option that parallels with the Ford supercharger oil?

If another type of oil is used will it decrease the life of the supercharger?

Will the other type of oil need to be changed more often?

Thank you! :beer:

TVSCobra

Established Member
I get an occasional free liter of Castrol TWS 10w-60. So that is what is in there now. Many have used Syn 10w30 and have never had a problem. I change mine every 5000 miles(overkill).

metaman

Established Member
Full synthetic? How often do you change it?

I think the frequency of your change intervals on the blower should be proportional to how hard you spin it. The factory service manual has a recommended change interval of 100k with the stock pulley. This is pushing it with the stock pulley and I have no clue why they put that in there. With the stock pulley on there I drove around for 65k miles and 4 years before I changed it. For this first change I used the GM Supercharger oil.

When I changed it that time, the original supercharger oil was still pretty much clear, no discoloration. It is not a big deal to change it, so even with the stock pulley I would not recommend going much over 30k between changes. Then again my oil was still clear at 65K, so I guess it is up to the stock pulley crowd to decide for themselves.

Then a couple of thousand miles later I put the pulley on the car. I drove it for about 15k miles with the pulley on the car and decided to go ahead and change the oil. Once again I used the over priced GM supercharger oil bottles. This time after only 15k miles with the pulley on there the oil had started to turn golden brown. More heat and shearing from the gears was breaking down the oil much faster. So I just changed it again recently after only one year of daily driving with the pulley on there and it was once again turning golden brown. This was about a 12-13k mile interval. This time I used Royal Purple 10w30.

I can only assume that if you are running an upper lower pulley combo that the change interval would need to be even closer together than one year. I don't think that with synthetic oil the temps in the blower are the issue. It is more likely that the shearing effect that the gears have on the oil is probably what breaks down its viscosity. So in conclusion, my non-engineering recommendations for Eaton Blower oil changes would be...

Stock Pulley 30K / 36 Months
2.8 Pulley 10K /12 Months
2.8 Upper 4# Lower 5K / 6 Months

Users who are viewing this thread