supercharger heat soaking whos had it happen ?

02yellowgt

Heat soaking the supercharger and what did the car do when it got heat soaked? ( I.e. driveability)

Any ideal what the water temp was when it heat soaked?

I'm trying really to find out how the car felt when it heatsoaked and where you able to do anything to get the boost to recover?

Also what port on the spercharger itself does the water inter the engine top or bottom port ? would it make a difference in which way it was hooked up ?(water flow through the blower )

SouthFlaSnake

Established Member
Im not sure I understand your question totally... but here it goes. The heat soaking everyone is talking about is the stock intercooler system not being able to counteract all the heat aftermarket pullies are creating by spinning the blower so fast. To help this out quite a bit, large water-to-air intercoolers (heat exchangers) replace the stock ones, helping the cool down of the intercooler fluid, which in return cools the supercharger quite a bit.

-Mike

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
During the third pull of my car on the dyno I lost about 15rwhp due to heat soak. I was stock, this happens to pretty much all of our cars. I can even tell on the street, because the car will feel weak. I can also feel the heat blowing into my car get noticeably hotter(I had the heater on).

If you get a heat exchanger, you won't lose nearly as much HP during consecutive dyno pulls.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by StevePoe
Yes , I understand the basics behind heat soaking. I'm trying to figure out how the car reacts and seat of the pants feel in the car when driving to know that the supercharger is heat soaked.
The extra heat will cause the caer to pull timing and result in loss of power. I have done many hot laps at the track with my KB@17psi and the car remains very consistant.

valdo's toy

Established Member
Would like to know if someone like APTEN could make, if possible, an s/c to intake manifold spacer like the ones made for the plenum to lower intake manifold in our beloved 5.0's made from a very hard composite or even wood (yes wood, like in the carburator days) that worked so well on keeping the plenum (upper intake) much cooler, I think that if it worked so well on this example it should make wonders on our cars EATON's. As stated above if it were possible, taking in consideration the type of application and extreme pressure received in the s/c by the belt pressure, heat, spinning cycle, etc. My car too has the "heat soak" problem specially here that we see 105º+ almost every day. JMHO

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by valdo's toy
Would like to know if someone like APTEN could make, if possible, an s/c to intake manifold spacer like the ones made for the plenum to lower intake manifold in our beloved 5.0's made from a very hard composite or even wood (yes wood, like in the carburator days) that worked so well on keeping the plenum (upper intake) much cooler, I think that if it worked so well on this example it should make wonders on our cars EATON's. As stated above if it were possible, taking in consideration the type of application and extreme pressure received in the s/c by the belt pressure, heat, spinning cycle, etc. My car too has the "heat soak" problem specially here that we see 105º+ almost every day. JMHO

two corrections, your 01 cobra was zinc yellow unless you had it painted. Chrome yellow ended in 1999, secondly our engines are 4.6's not 5.0's :-D

valdo's toy

Established Member
99cobraclone: Thanks in the color correction I was told that, when refering to our beloved 5.0,s I was talking about 87-93 GT and Cobra models as an example and bielieve me I know what the '03 Cobra has as for engine displacement.

Users who are viewing this thread