supercharger for 04 gt

cobralove90

Established Member
i have a 2004 mustang gt 40th anniversary and was wondering how the vortech and paxton superchargers are because i heard there good, but i have no clue how they work and how much i will get out of them

whipplecharged0

Established Member
you can get the vortechs on ebay for around 3 grand. if your car is bone stock you can probably get close to 390 safely out of one.

oneqkgt

Established Member
also check out tortech by magnum powers they make really good power and it looks like it belongs under the hood.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
for the entry level kits you're talking 3,500-4,xxx. You can normally choose between one with or without an intercooler which will add or subtract a few hundred. then you can choose some kind of cosmetically appealing finish, a hundred or so more with that option. also some give you the option of the kit coming with a pre-programmed chip for the car's computer, thats another $200 in some instances (depends who you buy it through).
Where you buy it from will have an effect on how much you spend. you also have to consider shipping. these kits can be big. who you buy it through may effect what comes with it for the price you spend (fuel pump,injectors,spark plugs).
additionally you need to consider labor, if you are not doing it yourself. that can be another $1000+ at any "performance" shop. Some shops allow you to order the supercharger kit through them then they give the labor at discounted rate.
out of the box, the lower trim level kits for the stock engines have everything you need with it to get the car on the road. However, there are supporting mods you'll need to get the full hp out of the setup.
additional supporting mod items you'll want to consider during or after you install it are:
colder range spark plugs
SVT focus fuel pump
42lb FRPP fuel injectors (something bigger than stock)
3.73/4.10 gears
wideband 02 kit (helps with dyno tuning and keep tabs on a/f ratio)
boost gauge kit
upgraded MAF (more accurate reading and doesnt peg out as fast as oem GT MAF)
dyno tune/hand tuning module (you need the handheld for dyno'ing it at some places)

out of the box (with the pre-programmed chip) the minimum i would suggest you buy in addition to the kit is colder range spark plugs. everything else can be done later down the road if need be in most applications.
the directions that come with more reputable kits are very good, so if you have the shop, tools, space and a day or 2 to get it on there then you can do it.
most kits at the level you're talking about will get you from you're old stock 14 second range 1/4 mile down to low low 13's/mid-high 12's. a big variable there in the tune you get, not to mention what supporting mods you get too.

Last edited:

whipplecharged0

Established Member
for the entry level kits you're talking 3,500-4,xxx. You can normally choose between one with or without an intercooler which will add or subtract a few hundred. then you can choose some kind of cosmetically appealing finish, a hundred or so more with that option. also some give you the option of the kit coming with a pre-programmed chip for the car's computer, thats another $200 in some instances (depends who you buy it through).
Where you buy it from will have an effect on how much you spend. you also have to consider shipping. these kits can be big. who you buy it through may effect what comes with it for the price you spend (fuel pump,injectors,spark plugs).
additionally you need to consider labor, if you are not doing it yourself. that can be another $1000+ at any "performance" shop. Some shops allow you to order the supercharger kit through them then they give the labor at discounted rate.
out of the box, the lower trim level kits for the stock engines have everything you need with it to get the car on the road. However, there are supporting mods you'll need to get the full hp out of the setup.
additional supporting mod items you'll want to consider during or after you install it are:
colder range spark plugs
SVT focus fuel pump
3.73/4.10 gears
boost gauge kit
dyno tune/hand tuning module (you need the handheld for dyno'ing it at some places)

out of the box (with the pre-programmed chip) the minimum i would suggest you buy in addition to the kit is colder range spark plugs. everything else can be done later down the road if need be in most applications.
the directions that come with more reputable kits are very good, so if you have the shop, tools, space and a day or 2 to get it on there then you can do it.
most kits at the level you're talking about will get you from you're old stock 14 second range 1/4 mile down to low low 13's/mid-high 12's. a big variable there in the tune you get, not to mention what supporting mods you get too.

So basically you are trying to say a supercharged gt will only see low 13s and possibly high 12s. I would say he should see better than that. He should be pushing upwards of 360 on a very safe tune and that is more than enough to get him into mid 12s.

oneqkgt

Established Member
with my saleen s4 blower stock gt exhaust except for bassani high flow cats i made 371hp and driving lousy, on et streets i went a best of 11.9 @116mph but it traps 114-115 all the time depending on weather. The torque is instant and its a overlooked supercharger thats for sure but thats ok.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
So basically you are trying to say a supercharged gt will only see low 13s and possibly high 12s. I would say he should see better than that. He should be pushing upwards of 360 on a very safe tune and that is more than enough to get him into mid 12s.

thats what the magazines say but thats not always what i've seen happen once its all said and done. like i said it depends on what supporting mods he gets too. also you see al these people putting these inflated numbers down but they dont tell you how dangerous their tune is what other mods they have, what dyno they use*, that its not going on the stock engine to begin with or that they arent just running the lower end blower, they are running the higher boost system/the more expensive one at which point they are supposed to be running upgraded internals not to mention if they run an awesome time they may only trap it like once every 10 times they run at which point something isnt right there anyawys. like someone else here said, there are many variables but i'm not going to be the one to get this guys hopes up and tell him he's going to run consisten 11's on an umodded 2v motor with a $3,500 kit. i'm just keeping it real here.

Last edited:

whipplecharged0

Established Member
thats what the magazines say but thats not always what i've seen happen once its all said and done. like i said it depends on what supporting mods he gets too. also you see al these people putting these inflated numbers down but they dont tell you how dangerous their tune is what other mods they have, what dyno they use*, that its not going on the stock engine to begin with or that they arent just running the lower end blower, they are running the higher boost system/the more expensive one at which point they are supposed to be running upgraded internals not to mention if they run an awesome time they may only trap it like once every 10 times they run at which point something isnt right there anyawys. like someone else here said, there are many variables but i'm not going to be the one to get this guys hopes up and tell him he's going to run consisten 11's on an umodded 2v motor with a $3,500 kit. i'm just keeping it real here.

no i understand what you are saying. you are probably right though. completely stock car maybe 320 hp is what he will see safely. never know. like you said to many variables.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
colder range spark plugs
SVT focus fuel pump
3.73/4.10 gears
boost gauge kit

vortech kits can be had for under $2k with a used head unit and under $3k for one with a brand new head unit. Ive seen guys get the complete setup installed and tuned for less than $2k. Then go out on the track and run 11's on stock motor....

whipplecharged0

Established Member
vortech kits can be had for under $2k with a used head unit and under $3k for one with a brand new head unit. Ive seen guys get the complete setup installed and tuned for less than $2k. Then go out on the track and run 11's on stock motor....

It can be done. Some of my friends have been able to run higher boost making more power and never have a problem, where others end up running lower boost making less power and blow their motors. Anything is possible if you are willing to take the risk. Me on the other hand I am either going to build my 2v motor to run a procharger or I will be doing a terminator motor swap. Mine is the only vehicle I have so I would rather be safe than sorry. Just my opinion though.

glenner

glenner
Established Member
If you want I have a Vortech sq t with two pullies intercooler and all piping plus Vortech race blow off valve one pully stock other 17 pounds. With all pipes for $3500 including 55 pound injectors and CPR fuel rails. Cobra hat with focus pumps and boosta pump with 40amp upgrade braided fuel line and stage 2fpdrm upgrade $650. Sct 2800 maf and filter $220 maxium motorsport k member $400 new Slp mufflers $140 pair slp x pipe $125 and slp long tube headers $550 all have less than a thousand miles on them. I use them for car show use newer abused I am going turbo. Also 4.10 gears best offer need to take them out local ford dealership will remove and install 3.55 so 4.10 are going. If you want it all it's still on the car $ 5550. Glen (906)-553-1281. Thanks

glenner

glenner
Established Member
Livernois did the tune and installed the intercooler it was a $1500 option then labor. So it is more than a couple hundred it is a thousand dollar difference in intercooler system mine is set up for a bullit or 99-01 cobra intake. Because the altanator is in the same place

glenner

glenner
Established Member
298 stroker, stage 3 race heads extrude honed bullit intake safe tune on ms103 17 pounds of boost 598 515 last dynojet dyno.

Users who are viewing this thread