Supercharger Chirp

XDkyleXD

Established Member
When I start my Lightning I always hear a chirping noise coming from the supercharger. Since Ive never been around other Lightnings I do not know. Is this normal.
My Lightning is mostly stock with 120k on the clock.. Should I just rebuild the front drive of the supercharger or the whole thing?
Also anybody have a write up for a DIY port job?
Thanks!
XDkyleXD

XDkyleXD

Established Member
I can give it a shot tomorow.. Its just a high pitched chirping noise when I first start it.. I assumed it was the bearings in the supercharger

XDkyleXD

Established Member
Ive only had the truck a few months but when I put the new alternator on it seemed to be just fine but Ill check into it tomorow

1998Cobra

Established Member
Mine does that also, but on mine its just the belt squeaking when I first start it, then it goes away. I havent got around to changing the belt but I will eventually

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
Loosen the supercharger belt when it is cold and turn the idlers and tensioner pullies by hand, should spin freely, any catching or stiff turning = dry/worn bearing.

While that belt is loose, do the same for the accessory belt, tensioners, idlers, and alternator. I have found that the alternator is usually the source of the chirp when you first start as it is under load to recharge the battery. The alternator location sucks, for lack of a better word, it is in the hottest location in the engine and can dry out bearings and fry diodes and regulators quickly.

Look closely at the belts, if the backside is extremely shiny, could be the cluprit.

Good luck with the hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread