Supercharger bypass valve sound.

snakevenom99

Shenanigans
Established Member
A buddy of mine has a 99 Eclipse GSX, and the blowoff valve sounds awesome. I was wondering what sound a bypass vavle makes if any. It sounds good with his four banger, so I could just imagine what it sounds like on a cobra.

Blown306

Established Member
On my KB, it doesn't make any sound at all. I'm not sure how turbo blow-off valves work, but don't they exit to the atmosphere to purge built up manifold pressure (boost)? Is the 'blow-off' valve the "Fast N Furious" term for a waste-gate?

On the KB, the bypass valve simply bypasses the compressor by sending compressed air back into the intake when in vacuum (so the compressor can't compress).

Two different animals here though...positive displacement vs not. Here's the KB bypass, the tube from the output to the input. It's basically there to eliminate boost at idle and off-idle cruise. Not a problem for centrifigals...they don't develop much (if any) boost that low in the RPM band, so a bypass wouldn't be needed.

lgj935.jpg

Last edited:

snakevenom99

Shenanigans
Established Member
Thanks for the info. I was talking about a centrifugal supercharger, not a postive displacement supercharger. To answer you question, yes a blow-off valve is a ricer term for a waste gate, and it does vent to the atmosphere.
Thanks, John

boostin'03

Established Member
Actually a blow off valve is NOT a term for a waste gate. A blow off vavle releases the boost that is in the intake track when you let off the throttle or shift, ect. A waste gate sets the turbo where it will only boost a certain amount of boost. For example if you want to run 16 PSI of boost you will set your boost controller for it and when it reaches 16 lbs of boost the waste gate will open up allowing the excess exhuast gasses not needed for 16 psi to go through the exhuast.

Edit: I used to have a '97 eclipse gs-t

Last edited:

snakevenom99

Shenanigans
Established Member
DOH. Your right, I got a little mixed up with the terms. Sorry for the wrong info. I never raced a GST. His GSX is pretty strong in first and second, but once you hit third though it over with.
Thanks, John

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
The factory BOV on my Procharger P1-SC sounds real awesome when I get on it, and shift... Its not as sharp or as quick of a sound as one of those "blitz super sound" blow off valves or a comparable one that is designed to make noise (like what your buddy with the turbo has), but you can still hear it... even when I shift as low as 3000 RPMS. Pssssssss

When I really get on it, you can really hear it... Combined with the gear whine of the procharger, and all the air moving through the piping and the huge front-mount intercooler!... its wild! It turns more heads than Jenna Jameson!

The good news is, you can fit any turbo-style "super-sound" blowoff valve on any centrifugally supercharged engine, if you are looking for that specific sound.

-Homer

snakevenom99

Shenanigans
Established Member
Thanks for the info Homer. I can't wait to get my Procharger (still have to sell my 4-wheeler). Do you have any pictures of that front mounted intercooler, I bet it looks sweet.
Thanks, John

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
If its nice out tomorrow, ill snap some with my webcam... they wont be the best quality, but its all good.

Youll grin like the grinch once you get into the boost.

-Homer

OCMike

Established Member
San Fransisko, Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
I highly recommend getting rid of the POS Procharger BOV. It is nothing more than a friggin' heater valve!

I upgraded to the Vortech Pro BOV. It is high-quality and it works much better than the stock ATI. Sounds better too!:beer:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Originally posted by snakevenom99
Thanks for the info Homer. I can't wait to get my Procharger (still have to sell my 4-wheeler). Do you have any pictures of that front mounted intercooler, I bet it looks sweet.
Thanks, John

Here are some pics that i snapped this morning with my webcam. they are real real crappy.... plus this damn weather!

-Homer

snakevenom99

Shenanigans
Established Member
Thanks for the pics. It looks awesome. I bet it looks menacing going down the road, with that front mounted intercooler.
Thanks, John

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Has anyone put one of those "Blitz super sound" BOV's on their supercharger?

The ads say that they work with turbos only... But a centrifugal supercharger is just like a turbo, except belt driven, and creates boost in the same way a turbo does.. Let me know.

-Homer

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I should have explained myself better.

I know, I know.... a turbo is exhaust driven, and a centri is belt driven.... thats not what I was getting at.

I meant that a turbo creates boost the same way a centri does because they both have an impeller or turbine of similar design that pressurizes air before the throttle body, and are both subject to compressor surge when the throttle body closes. A turbo and centri are different from a roots or twin-screw because they create boost before the TB, and require a BOV, or boost bypass valve to prevent such occurances.

-Homer

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobras_Rule
a turbo does not create boost the same way a centri does:)

Yes, they do create boost the same way. They both compress air inside of a impeller driven compressor housing. Now, yes, they turn the impeller differently. The turbo being driven by exhaust gas energy which turns a turbine which is connected to a rod which is connected at the other end to the impeller inside the compressor housing. A centrifugal supercharger is driven by a belt with turns a pully that turns the impeller inside the compressor housing.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I know, I know, turbos are exhaust driven, and superchargers are belt driven. but that's not the point i was trying to get at.

on the "Blitz super sound" advertisements, they explain that they only work with turbochargers.

But, since turbos and centrifugal superchargers have some similarities (on the boost side of things, such as impeller design, intercooler, piping, and that they are both located before the throttle body) the turbo style BOV should work with a centrifugal supercharger, no?

-Homer

Users who are viewing this thread