Supercharged 96 Cobra consuming oil again

H W Bush

Established Member
I'm really upset. I just spent $930 having this Vortech v1 rebuilt with a new bearing case and after a few weeks I'm back to square 1. Doesn't smoke but it's losing it. I HOPE this is not the blower again. I put it back in at 71906 miles, just put about half a quart in Sunday at 72513, and the rest again today at 72616. this is my daily driver and I have so much going on to deal with this AGAIN. when i take the fill cover off the head is steaming, my guess is from the low oil. any ideas? i haven't taken the tubes off yet...just got home.

Last edited:

H W Bush

Established Member
found out the problem after talking to vortech. the hose going from the discharge tube and valve cover is pooled with oil so it's sucking it out of the engine. there is a crappy plastic catch can routed in between the pcv valve and the hose going back to the intake. why is this on the pcv side?
the guy suggest either a catch can or a breather. well i don't think a catch can is going to solve the issue unless im missing something. a breather of any side will not fit unless i can get an angled fitting and put it on that. could i get a baffled one for this setup? what i want is a baffled grommet as well but i can't find that either.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Catch cans only "catch" oil from blow by and prevent the oil going back into the intake. It will not prevent oil loss. Breather tubes also prevent oil from going back into the intake by letting the blow by spew through the engine compartment rather than collect inside a can. Neither methods prevent oil consumption.

Users who are viewing this thread