super/turbo charged

traub83

Wing Warrior destroyer
Established Member
ok im throwin a blower or turbo on my cobra that i put the c4 in it. i plan to be running about 12pounds of boost what gear ratio would be best? i currently have 4.10's but i was thinkin about droppin down to 3.73 but this will basically be a bracket racer that is driven to shows and the strip and sometimes around town.
so what gear do you guys think will be best with that combo and i have 26" tall tires.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Are you running 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile? What rpm are you going to turn it? You may want to use 3.73's and 27-28" tire. Especially if you are hitting 1.5-1.6 60's.

I am running out of gear in my 5-speed car w/ 3.73's and 14psi

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
With the supercharger I would suggest the 3.73's. With the turbo go with 3.55's (or 3.27's if you're trapping faster than about 125 with a 26" tire).

I ran the times in my sig with 3.55's. I just switched to 3.27's so we'll see what that does.

traub83

Wing Warrior destroyer
Established Member
right now im turning around 6500rpm's and im really thinking about 3.55's with a turbo cause i am a c4 auto tranny without overdrive and I run the 1/4mi at cordova dragpark in illinois. but i prob wont be racing again till this fall cause i decided now is better time than any to build this car right. also how much boost you think is safe on those keithblack hyper pistons with eagle i beam rods and a forged crank think 12psi intercooled will be ok?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
traub83 said:
right now im turning around 6500rpm's and im really thinking about 3.55's with a turbo cause i am a c4 auto tranny without overdrive and I run the 1/4mi at cordova dragpark in illinois. but i prob wont be racing again till this fall cause i decided now is better time than any to build this car right. also how much boost you think is safe on those keithblack hyper pistons with eagle i beam rods and a forged crank think 12psi intercooled will be ok?

One thing to consider is your usable power band is going to lower (in rpms) with a turbo. You likely won't be reving it past 6k with a turbo kit. Unless it's a twin setup. It really depends on a few things though.

Either way the 3.55's should be a wise choice.

The hypers will take over 500 hp, but they're not nearly as forgiving as forged. Any light detonation can take out the hypers where forged will survive.

traub83

Wing Warrior destroyer
Established Member
well im going with 3.55 gears and im dropping from 4.10 gears which i was used too. so it should help out gas mileage a lot with um but how will my performace be affected since I wont be turbo'd or SC'd yet? i run a 12.0 flat now sometimes 11.9's that was with the 4.10 gears how much do you think ill lose by goin with the 3.55's?? plus that i have a c4 tranny. is there anyone out there that sells turbo headers for our stangs if we want to run a single turbo?? i dont want a twin turbo setup as i want to run a t70 turbo that i already have purchased!! and im sorry guys i already have the keith black pistons already installed and ive been runnin on them for about 1500 miles..

traub83

Wing Warrior destroyer
Established Member
im really leaning towards the procharger and upgrade it later to the intercooled setup cause well it looks really sweet and has awsome reviews, which would be the best street/strip gear 3.55, 3.73, 4.10 with this setup.

my motor is as follows
edelbrock rpm heads and intake ported and polished
BBK 75mm throttle body and intake system
24pound injectors and maf
c4 tci tranny
e303 cam with 1.7 rockers
everything aluminum that you can buy besides the block
thats my motor in a nutshell so what do you guys think on times and such with and without supercharger with 3.73 gears and 3.55's?? and which would you guys go with?

Fast93

HP 76GTS
Established Member
I blew a P1SC, then upgraded to a D1SC, and blew that too. Then bought a YS. I'm not saying anything bad, just what happened. That was as nice as I could be. Food for thought.

Last edited:

traub83

Wing Warrior destroyer
Established Member
well i just installed my 3.55 gears and personally i love them compared to the 4.11's i think my car gets off the line a lot better is faster and my mileage has went up some. Now im just trying to figure out which supercharger to buy!! I want as unit that I can intercool later on that wont be killing it at 12psi!! any suggestions? cause till i intercool ill prob run it at around 6-7psi till i get all the fuel mods right and intercooler and plumin and all that stuff? any sugestions??

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
im not saying listen to me but so far its all working and very well...whens my engine gonna blow? i dunno but. stock internals, un-intercooled, with 14 psi with a vortech sq-trim-stock pullied too. see sig for ET. ive got 3.55's but a very small tire height at 24 1/2" as measured on the car. and im running out of gear in the quarter. actually im bouncing off the rev limter @6100rpm in 4th gear. im sure a true 26" tall tire would help. still if i go much faster i WILL have to go to 3.27's. thing is i dont drag my car much and would rather i had a little more top end, so ive been thinking about switching to 3.27 anyway.

IMHO if your tune is right, a good quality hyperpathic piston will hold 12+ psi boost, just keep the timing in check. buuuuuuuut when i rebuild my engine i WILL be putting in some forged pistons :thumbsup:

Last edited:

traub83

Wing Warrior destroyer
Established Member
no i understand what ya mean man, my cpu has been reprogramed also my rev limiter is set at 7200 rpm, and im thinking about really a V2 supercharger and boostin it to 12psi and try and rig up some sort of intercooler for it i just gotta find a shop to bend my tube for me any suggestions guys?? but if im goin intercooled a 14psi pully would prob get me my 12psi due to intercooler loss and such right?? and i think my 3.55 gears will be good for me also i love them a lot more than my 4.10's

Users who are viewing this thread