Super snake style hood

Rick14

Established Member
Anyone have good experience with any of the after market hoods in terms of quality and install. I am thinking of this in terms of bringing engine temps down

jn2

Established Member
Have you tried putting out the hood liner where the vents go? That should help heat find its way out of the factory vents.

Rick14

Established Member
Have you tried putting out the hood liner where the vents go? That should help heat find its way out of the factory vents.

Not sure that's such a good idea. Plus there is a rubber insert that mounts on the left vent to keep water of the CAI. It ulilizes the liner

jn2

Established Member
Not sure that's such a good idea. Plus there is a rubber insert that mounts on the left vent to keep water of the CAI. It ulilizes the liner

There is a few threads showing people cutting them. Also for the foam doesn't work as well for blocking water. I you do decide to make the cut to the blanket you can put double side tape on the first 2 vents to prevent water from leaking into your intake. I used to run the JLT foam and it failed too many times...decided to put take the vent out, add some black double sided tape to the first 2 vents and it hasn't leaked into my intake since...

The first non slotted slit and the first 2 slotted slits should be covered from the inside. since the blanket is cut the black double sided tape makes it less obvious
ynapepu3.jpg

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?988924-better-heat-extraction-hood

^^^^ That thread has good info. The tiger racing hood is quite nice and works really well

Last edited:

Rick14

Established Member
There is a few threads showing people cutting them. Also for the foam doesn't work as well for blocking water. I you do decide to make the cut to the blanket you can put double side tape on the first 2 vents to prevent water from leaking into your intake. I used to run the JLT foam and it failed too many times...decided to put take the vent out, add some black double sided tape to the first 2 vents and it hasn't leaked into my intake since...

The first non slotted slit and the first 2 slotted slits should be covered from the inside. since the blanket is cut the black double sided tape makes it less obvious
ynapepu3.jpg

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?988924-better-heat-extraction-hood

^^^^ That thread has good info. The tiger racing hood is quite nice and works really well

Thanks for the info and link. I am interested in the tiger hood too

kdaly

Established Member

Love my tiger. Got the FiberGlass version. With my vortech and the air filter placement, it makes it a sunny day only car. I have heard of a couple people use it in the rain with a close stock air box. Hood didnt come perfect and had a few cracks and things to be worked out. Total cost for hood, installation with clear bra was 2900. not a cheap venture. You can shave some money off that if you dont clear bra (200) and it cost me 1400 to get the paint and cracks fixed (i also think this is a bit high and I got screwed) but that is what I ended up paying. But if I was to do it again knowing it was 2900 I'd still pay it. Its the only thing that I have on the car that separates it from the rest. Hard to be different in the mustang world. Plus its pretty cool to be at stop lights and see the view in front of you having a mirage effect due to the heat extraction.

11998927_10153600214883398_3201255588478767075_n_zpskktzpo3f.jpg

HL7A0429_zps8pxcnhxw.jpg

Rick14

Established Member

So much for that. My car is a DD. I also like the trufiber ram air hood. It has both the vents and the ram air hood scoop. Has anyone had experience with that

13 GT/CS

Established Member
So much for that. My car is a DD. I also like the trufiber ram air hood. It has both the vents and the ram air hood scoop. Has anyone had experience with that

I have the trufiber a53KR, and absolutely love it. Got the fiberglass one and tbh the fiberglass wasn't in the best shape so needed a lot of work before paint but completely worth it. Have a vortech setup, with no air filter so its an open inlet like a turbo. Ive driven the car in absolutely ridiculous rain storms and it keeps everything near the blower completely dry. Love it! (not a hood you see everyday either)

Rick14

Established Member
I have the trufiber a53KR, and absolutely love it. Got the fiberglass one and tbh the fiberglass wasn't in the best shape so needed a lot of work before paint but completely worth it. Have a vortech setup, with no air filter so its an open inlet like a turbo. Ive driven the car in absolutely ridiculous rain storms and it keeps everything near the blower completely dry. Love it! (not a hood you see everyday either)

It seems everything I read about these hoods concerning a lot of prep. I wonder if going with the carbon fiber edition will get me a much better if not fully finished product. Car is black so I would have the choice of leaving it if it blends nicely or painting it with alot less prep. What do you think

Jabooh1

Established Member
I got the fiberglass tiger hood as well. No cracks, some pits. Paint and prep cost me $700.
C73DF5CA-A201-451E-94C7-B8224B9C0ECF_zps67gwf5tc.jpg

316303C8-6403-4E35-862F-69B7321F326A_zps4brwftyi.jpg

90578996-9B25-4D5D-A44F-155198900F2B_zpsuvg5bhmo.jpg

I drive rain or shine. No issues in a downpour at all. I have the OEM airbox for that reason.

2F689E4E-A087-49B0-81F4-DF329A9679B5_zpslykeazkx.jpg

Ductape

Established Member
i have the BMC extreme black mamba hood in carbon fiber. it fit perfectly right out of the box. the finish is spectacular for hand laid carbon fiber. I had mine painted with 10% clear for a touch opacity to see the cf weave in the sunlight. the vents are also CF and breathe extremely well, especially when you remove the drip pans during the summer. the ram air is fully functional too.

20150725_153513-2.jpg

20160408_153109_zpsmp1cvbzq.jpg

20160619_120236-2.jpg

Last edited:

Rick14

Established Member
i have the BMC extreme black mamba hood in carbon fiber. it fit perfectly right out of the box. the finish is spectacular for hand laid carbon fiber. I had mine painted with 10% clear for a touch opacity to see the cf weave in the sunlight. the vents are also CF and breathe extremely well, especially when you remove the drip pans during the summer. the ram air is fully functional too.

View attachment 69860

View attachment 69859

View attachment 69861
Cool, so that's what I'm looking for. Front dam, fully finished, good fit, blended to look like it came out of the factory. Sold ! Thanks

Rick14

Established Member

View attachment 69860

View attachment 69859

View attachment 69861

Also I see you put on the gt500 from bumber. Looks great. I had to take a 2nd look to realize it's a GT. Nice job. Where did you buy the front bumper and who did your work

Ductape

Established Member
Also I see you put on the gt500 from bumber. Looks great. I had to take a 2nd look to realize it's a GT. Nice job. Where did you buy the front bumper and who did your work

Hey Rick, i bought the entire front assembly from Tousley Ford and had it painted/installed locally by a restoration body shop. The other good thing about the hood is it will accommodate a mounted supercharger system if added later on ;)

p.s. the grills are actually siebon CF upper and lowers. no shelby badging allowed!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread