Super snake question

2003svtredfire

Established Member
What blower options are available for the 2008-2009 GT500 Super Snakes? Did Shelby put the kenne bell on some of the models or did a whipple find its' way on top of the motor.

2003svtredfire

Established Member
Those years had option for tvs or kenne bell, 2010's and up had the whipple.

That is what i thought, the 2010's opted for the whipple. I am arguing with a friend of mine and i even posted a link stating the kenne bell was on the pre-2010 models. He is oblivious to facts.

Thank-you for your confirmation!!:beer:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
That is what i thought, the 2010's opted for the whipple. I am arguing with a friend of mine and i even posted a link stating the kenne bell was on the pre-2010 models. He is oblivious to facts.

Thank-you for your confirmation!!:beer:

The KB and Whipples are both offered in 750hp and the top horsepower offering is the 3.6LC KB@800hp.

Here is a "build your own" link.............

http://www.shelbyamerican.com/buildhome.asp

These are all 50 state emissions legal with catback change only to the exhaust system. If you want to go beyond that, the KB is also offered in 900 an 1000 horsepower and those non-emissions friendly Super Snakes have to be modified at Shelby Motorsports.

KB is far from out of the picture in the Super Snake production and the Whipples were only added as another option. The Black Whipple is the entry level offering for the larger hp level on the later Super Snakes and the price goes up from there.

It looks like 2010 was the last year for the 660 horsepower offering, and the 660 replaced the 605hp level that was originally offered for the 2007-2009's.

R

Last edited:

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
The KB and Whipples are both offered in 750hp and the top horsepower offering is the 3.6LC KB@800hp.

Here is a "build your own" link.............

Shelby American Inc.

These are all 50 state emissions legal with catback change only to the exhaust system. If you want to go beyond that, the KB is also offered in 900 an 1000 horsepower and those non-emissions friendly Super Snakes have to be modified at Shelby Motorsports.

KB is far from out of the picture in the Super Snake production and the Whipples were only added as another option. The Black Whipple is the entry level offering for the larger hp level on the later Super Snakes and the price goes up from there.

It looks like 2010 was the last year for the 660 horsepower offering, and the 660 replaced the 605hp level that was originally offered for the 2007-2009's.

R

:lol: What he said.

Just took the Vegas tour of their facility lasy month, and he went through every possibly option for a SS and then some. He also said that some people want even more than 800hp, and their performance shop has already turned out a handful of 1000hp Super Snakes! :eek:

Theres no warranty on the higher powered cars, but he also said the people wanting them arent really concerned with warranties at that point.

Van@RevanRacing

their performance shop has already turned out a handful of 1000hp Super Snakes! :eek:

That's the biggest crock of shit to come out of Shelby since the GTS and Barbecue Sauce!!!! LOL

1,000 RWHP. If it did, it wasn't built there. They probably told you that was a stock motor too???? I hear this crap daily. Most of the guys on SVTP know that it takes a lot of time, effort and money to make 1,000 to the ground or crank on these cars. :thumbsup:

Roll On! :beer:

Turbor850

Turborific !
Established Member
That's the biggest crock of shit to come out of Shelby since the GTS and Barbecue Sauce!!!! LOL

1,000 RWHP. If it did, it wasn't built there. They probably told you that was a stock motor too???? I hear this crap daily. Most of the guys on SVTP know that it takes a lot of time, effort and money to make 1,000 to the ground or crank on these cars. :thumbsup:

Who knows, there are a lot of Shelby's out there and its not like someone with money can't push the limits . .

On another note, can you add all your modifications to your signature so I have to scroll for 5 minutes to the next post? :beer:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Who knows, there are a lot of Shelby's out there and its not like someone with money can't push the limits . .

On another note, can you add all your modifications to your signature so I have to scroll for 5 minutes to the next post? :beer:

He was being specific to Super Snakes. And no, there arent alot out there. Regular Shelby's yes. And 1000rwhp from SAI, isnt happening.

Van@RevanRacing

It's edited. If I had the total mod list on there it would be one page per POST!!!:lol1: :beer: But hey, you know what I use and what products I support!

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Aren't the SS's rated to the crank though & not to the wheels. The 900 & 1000 hp GT500s also have new internals put in, in order to crank out the power levels they do "safely". I believe they make 1000 to the crank, but most like are pushing in the low 800s to mid 800s to the rear wheels.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Aren't the SS's rated to the crank though & not to the wheels. The 900 & 1000 hp GT500s also have new internals put in, in order to crank out the power levels they do "safely". I believe they make 1000 to the crank, but most like are pushing in the low 800s to mid 800s to the rear wheels.

That is what I understood, from Roger at SA, flywheel, not crank on the 900 and 1000. I know they change the cams for one of these options (maybe even both), not sure about shortblock parts being changed.

If the claims that these GT500 engines can handle 1000 hp are correct (and I have heard this many, many times over the recent years), these Shelby creations should be right on the ragged edge of "claimed capability".

But doesn't 1000RWHP sound soooooo much more impressive?!?!?

R

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

That is what I understood, from Roger at SA, flywheel, not crank on the 900 and 1000. I know they change the cams for one of these options (maybe even both), not sure about shortblock parts being changed.

If the claims that these GT500 engines can handle 1000 hp are correct (and I have heard this many, many times over the recent years), these Shelby creations should be right on the ragged edge of "claimed capability".

But doesn't 1000RWHP sound soooooo much more impressive?!?!?

R

The most commonly used percentage for drive train loss is 15%. The previous post I saw said that they had produced a handful of 1,000 whp Super Snakes. These engines can handle 1,000 horsepower at the flywheel but only for so long and you'd better hope you're on C-16. I've seen a number of stock engines with big boost make 840-850 at the wheel and that is teetering on the edge. Too many pulls at that level and its not a matter of if............just when something will fail internally.

Making 1,000 at the flywheel or at the wheels is never an easy task nor is it an inexpensive one.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The most commonly used percentage for drive train loss is 15%. The previous post I saw said that they had produced a handful of 1,000 whp Super Snakes. These engines can handle 1,000 horsepower at the flywheel but only for so long and you'd better hope you're on C-16. I've seen a number of stock engines with big boost make 840-850 at the wheel and that is teetering on the edge. Too many pulls at that level and its not a matter of if............just when something will fail internally.

Making 1,000 at the flywheel or at the wheels is never an easy task nor is it an inexpensive one.

This may be a dumb question and please excuse me for sounding un-informed, but why isn't the hp loss from the flywheel to the rear tires the same no matter if it is 500hp or 900hp at the flywheel? Why is there more loss at the tires on a 900hp set up than a 500hp set up. 15% of 500hp is considerably less than 15% of 900hp, why the difference when the power is going through the same drivetrain parts and logic would say that those same drivetrain parts would only "use" so much power to turn no matter what power level the engine is. :shrug:

Or am I off base on this and the loss is in the 75-100 horse range across the board on these cars?

R

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I have long said the same thing, lol. I believe the answer is somewhere in the middle. It may be 15% at 500hp, but only 10-12% at the 1000hp level. There will be more power consumed through the driveline, but I doubt it is a fixed level.

On the 1000hp packages, the 900hp Supersnakes make 780whp-800whp depending if they use the 3.4 whillple or the 3.6 LC KB. I know they were testing the 1000hp kits with the 4.0L whipple, but I don't know what else is done.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
12% is common rule of thumb when trying to calculate the difference in manual transmission cars. Automatics absorb at closer to 18%. The higher the HP car is that number actually increases due to increased pressure causing increased strain/friction on the gear faces and also deflection of shafts/cases. Plus the clutch disc will also start to slip more due to the increased forces exerted on trying to accelerate the weight. The only true way to calculate a particular cars true drivetrain loss is an engine dyno and compare that to a chassis dyno upon installation. Even then there is a small variance on time/break in/break down/environment. But now we are getting picky ;)

Last edited:

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member

Actually, the chili isn't bad at all lol. Haven't tried the bbq sauce, probably wont, either.

The man doing the tour did not specify much on the 1000hp claimed vehicles. He gave a basic rundown on whats included in the vehicles ranging from 660-800hp. And as im sure you know, when he said "1000hp" the majority of the crowd "ooh'd" and "ahh'd". I've been drag racing for about 10 years now, a dozen fox bodies, an '03 cobra and hopefully in my '07 before much longer. Power doesn't impress me, as it means nothing but a number if you cant get it to the ground. Quite honestly, he lost me when he said the packages started at 32k.

Im not a big fan of the Shelby himself, but the tour was interesting and an experience i enjoyed. It was free, and I would recomend it to someone if they were in the area, if nothing but to see some neat cars in their showroom/gift shop.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread