Super duty 5.4 build

lhill1995

Established Member
Also I read somewhere the trick flow heads had better detonation resistance, but have not been able to find more info on this. Does anyone have knowledge on this?

lhill1995

Established Member
Thanks slo. I guess that just leaves my question on the detonation resistance on the twisted wedge heads. I have found my research very interesting. I came across an article discussing the Jaguar fireball head design having the best detonation resistance. I also found one discussing displacement is displacement and that wide bore/short stroke or narrow bore/long stroke doesnt make much difference on similarly equipped engines.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Keep the compression reasonable and the tune conservative. That's going to keep the engine from detonating more than any head having detonation resistance. It isn't a black art. Just need common sense.

lhill1995

Established Member
Yea I get that. I just enjoy the reading. I find this stuff interesting. I have a feeling I will be more than pleased with this build. It looks like 450rwhp to 500rwhp would be easy and around 300rwhp na with a nice torque curve. SVTpete, Slo thanks for the help.

Last edited:

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
My truck out performs the diesels off road. I am a pipeline construction inspector so off road performance is important. My wife has the 6.7 powerstroke in her truck and I enjoy driving my 5.4 more. Gassers are more fun to drive to me. I do not want a positive displacement setup because i would like to keep my intake runner tuning. I plan to improve my engines performance then add on the centri blower. My main question is how much does the added load from my truck's 6500lb weight affect the amount of boost i can run for a particular amount of compression. I know a tuner can only do so much. Stock cranking compression is around 150psi so I was thinking of cam and compression specs for 170psi cranking compression on the new engine.

Where you been working at? Just curious I don't see to many other people that work on the pipeline on the forums

lhill1995

Established Member
I worked HDD's with Driver a good bit back in '06 and '07. I always enjoyed cleanup, but have worked on any crew I can think of. I recently got my CWI so hopefully I can work in Texas this year. Who do you work for? If you don't mind me asking.

lhill1995

Established Member
Just an update. The low oil prices hit me hard and medical bills, but I am back to work now. I should be doing the build in December when I get home. I am planning on getting a TIG setup and puting a Garrett gt4094 on it or an F1D but I would prefer turbo. I have a price quote on the build from Houston performance and Paschal performance is supposed to be sending one too. I will post pics of the build later when I do it.

Users who are viewing this thread